Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Average MPG on 2008+ Fireblades

7K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Sskvara1 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering what you guys are getting in terms of average MPG. When I first bought my bike, I was running a full Yoshi setup with a PCV mapped from their website and when cruising home the 150 miles, I got an avg of 42 MPG for the trip.

Since then, I've changed my exhaust system to the OEM headers + Arrow GP2, IRC, intake flapper mod and a PCV mapped for the m4 slip-on on their website with the IRC values edited. I also added +5 to 0% throttle under 2k RPM to try to help with the stalling issue when coming to a stop.

I've noticed for the past few days commuting, I've been getting an average of about 30 MPG. It may be because I'm doing more local and I'm cruising at around 3rd or 4th at about 5k RPM and shifting at about 6k RPM as opposed to when I first bought the bike when I was shifting at like 5k RPM and cruised the whole way around 4k RPM in 6th gear.

Do these numbers sound normal to you? Just wondering if I may have mapped my PCV too rich and that's why I'm getting a significantly lower MPG.

#5 ·
with stock gearing I would get 38-42 mpg. slip on, PCV and custom tune.

I went -1/+1 and I get about 35 mpg, 70% freeway, and usually above the posted speed limit, but I'm easy on the throttle.

#9 ·
I run a standard RR8 (from new) and get between 52~55 mpg (this is imperial gal = 4.55L).
My ride is 50/50 open road/ urbain. I keep to the speed limit (under 90!)With occasional blasts.
I do not warm up the engine before riding off. I turn it on and go off but keep the revs to under 4k till i get to the working temperature (76C).
I do not use the accelerator like an on/off switch and tend to open it up gradually in sync with the mounting engine revs.
Using synthetic oil can improve the fuel consumption by up to 10% and low tyre pressures will make it worse
hopefully this will give you some reference point as to what the offthe shelf bike can do

#11 ·
So I went for a little longer ride yesterday, about 100 miles and I got an average of 40.3 mpg. Guess I was riding I'm riding it a little harder than I think on my commute. It could also be that my commute is 90% local, 10% highway.

Still planning on getting a custom tune though once I'm completely done buying goodies for her. Thanks for all the replies guys!

#14 ·
I have a 13 ABS with a zfi TC having been dyno tuned and ran a zafm with an afr map given to me by the dyno tuner. That being said I hammer my throttle all the time (a lot of gsxrs out here that seem to think they have something to prove) and on the freeway I generally do about 75-85 MPH. All said and done I get about 40-45mpg. So yeah. Get your mods done that you want, get a dyno tune. Best you can do.

#18 ·
I'm in the low 30's with my 08 and believe me, I do not ride aggressively. I get over 11k miles out of a set of tires. My MPG calculations may be slightly low because with the SpeedoHealer the speed reads accurate now but the mileage reads slightly low from what it actually is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.