Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Carbon Buildup

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  robgs 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I copied this post from my local forum as it seemed very odd for a Honda to have these sorts of issues. Was wondering if anyone had seen or heard of similar problems?

I'll apologise upfront for the size of this post. Unfortunately there seems to be a few problems going on and to make sure the right information is provided and received a detailed post is required. PLEASE KEEP READING.

In December last year I bought a new CBR1000RR, love the thing. I've racked up nearly 80,000KMS on various bikes over the past 10 years with my last being a CBR600RR. The majority of my riding is to and from work on the Mitchel FWY with the odd longer run.

3 weeks ago, searching for a bit of noise, I had installed a full Yoshi R-77 system, BNC race filter and PCV. The dealer installed and configured all the gear. So far no problem.

Last Tuesday I started the bike and I can hear a very deep, very low knocking noise. A lifetime ago I completed a mechanical apprenticeship, All cars not bikes. I say this as the noise resembled that of a big end knock! The bike has 6200KMS on it!!!

The awesome dealer collected the bike from my home and began the investigation. The long and the short of it....Carbon Buildup on the piston and the bottom of the valves. It was also suggested the airbox had fuel residue....The components were cleaned in-situ and after a heavy discount I coughed up some cash and rode the bike away.

Now the questions / concerns and suggestions...
It has been suggested the buildup is a direct result of how the bike has been ridden, low speed, low REV and within a range (4200 - 4600) where the secondary injectors are active but the fuel isn't being burnt. I do tend to ride within the road rules and perhaps should have bought somethings smaller...Unfortunately that ship has sailed. I'm VERY concerned now as to how to prevent this from happening..Flogging it in 1st & 2nd, finding a quite place and give it shit are a few as well as riding the freeway in 3rd or 4th or take it to a dyno once a month to clean it out
To be honest I'm scared shitless, I don't want to ride it in a manner that I'll keep my license only to have expensive repairs or worse...In addition to this the MAP that has been used specifies, 2014 R-77 slip on stock air filter. When the bike is idling the smell from the exhaust is HEAVY on fuel!!
I had been using Caltex 98, but have now changed to either BP or Shell 98.
Is this normal?
Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah like I said I copied the post, this isn't my bike. From his comments I think it is a standard MAP the dealer installed. My suggestion was to clear the map and run it on factory settings and see if it makes a difference. I am hoping someone on here has had a similar experience that we can learn from. He is calling the best dyno people we have locally tomorrow to book a session. I am going to take my bike at the same time so we can compare the maps.

#4 ·
Freeway on ramps, best place to rev it out in first without going triple digits. I would definitely suggest getting it mapped but that won't change the fact that it's a race bike and wants to be flogged on occasion. If you are really considering taking the thing to a dyno because you have no desire to flog it yourself, I would seriously consider trading it in for something that fits your needs better.

#5 ·
I would have to agree that mapping would cause excessive fuel unburnt fuel deposits to carbon up parts of intake.

These carbon deposits are found on all petrol vehicles once you start doing high mileage.
Cleaning throttle valves and intakes is a usual routine in some workshops and even subaru make there own " upper engine cleaner" for boxter motors.

Subaru sell this can with every service to stop the carbon build up happening id suggest you youtube upper engine cleaner all questions will be answered, this stuff is really good i have been using it for years and recommend it but must be used regularly.
I believe its most beneficial with your daily commute not so much track bikes as you dont get as much unburnt fuel deposits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.