LiFePo4 batteries - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
RIPPERTON
MAD SCIENTIST

LiFePo4 batteries

LiFePo4 batteries are a relatively new technology and as some of my tests show they are suitable for total loss systems on modern fuel injected race bikes.
A 12v 10Ah LiFePo4 battery thet weighes 1.5kg will comprise of 4 of the "E" size cells in this pic. Cost me $48 AUD each cell. LiFePO4 stands for Lithium Iron Phosphate.

A special LiFePO4 charger is required. Charging cycles differ from lead acid.
AUD$180 for a 10 amp charger. Approx. 1 minute charging with a 10 amp charger is required after 1 minute riding.

Last edited by RIPPERTON; 10-12-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
RIPPERTON
MAD SCIENTIST

Assembly will look something like this.
Note my bike has an external MotoGP style starter so the cables you see here are low amperage for pump and ECU only

In this shot you can see Ive trimmed back the studs and that they are hollow.
One stud is copper and the other is aluminium. So you will have to take great care in
tightening the aluminium one.

Last edited by RIPPERTON; 10-12-2008 at 04:36 AM.
post #3 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
RIPPERTON
MAD SCIENTIST

A dash mounted voltmeter would be required

Proper shock proofing for protection in crashes. The batteries are not flammable or volatile like Lithium Cobalt batteries.

post #4 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
RIPPERTON
MAD SCIENTIST

Here is the voltage Data from the first ride day at Eastern Creek.
I did the first 4 out of 6 sessions without recharging and the battery voltage dropped to 12.3v during the 4th session. The four sessions totaled 71 minutes but during the 1 hour breaks the battery recuperated on average 0.1v.
start volts...................................end volts
engine off....runtime...run volts...engine off....charge time
13.49...........15min.....12.7.......13.15........ ....0
13.23...........17min.....12.6.......13.03........ ....0
13.15...........20min.....12.5.......12.97........ ....0
13.10...........20min.....12.3.......12.87........ ....55min
13.35...........17min.....12.7.......13.08........ ....53min
13.78...........rain
post #5 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
RIPPERTON
MAD SCIENTIST

Heres a few words from the dealer about fire hazard.

Glad you were happy with the performance.
The cells are only new so they will probably gain a bit of performance once you cycle them a few times.

The BMI LiFePO4 cells you have are the safest batteries available. They will not/can not catch on fire. In fact if you put a cell in a fire it will help to smother the fire to put it out. LiFePO4 batteries are a very stable chemistry and are even safer than your old SLA battery. I have seen the tests from the USA where they test the safety of LiFePO4. I have seen the results of where they fire a gun at the cell. The bullet passes through and leaves a hole but the cell is in every other way intact and doesn't catch on fire. This is in start contrast to a Lithium Cobalt Oxide based battery which is very reactive and can catch on fire or explode if abused or impacted. This is the type of lithium ion battery used in mobile phone batteries, camcorders and many laptop computer batteries. These were the batteries which were recalled by Dell when a few caught on fire. Lithium Polymer batteries act in a similar fashion to cobalt oxide batteries and it would not be advisable to use these either on your bike unless you wanted a special effect of a big flame shooting out the back while you are tearing down the racetrack!
Due to the fire hazard of most lithium batteries they are prohibited to be carried or transported on passenger aircraft. My BMI LiFePO4 cells however are approved for carriage on passenger aircraft since are exempt under IATA regulations and meet the requirements of special provision of A45.

And the construction.

It is all solid, no liquid. This is why the batteries can be operated in any orientation.
It is a white powder which is manufactured in Canada and Germany which goes into making the cells.
post #6 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 AM
liter blade

very interesting...thank you!
so we could junk the stator/charging system correct?
post #7 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 12:46 PM
m48

Thanks for sharing the info. I've just bought a pair of 6.6v lithium nanowire batteries made by Duralite (usual application is remote control airplanes) which will be connected in series. I haven't weighed them but they feel about half the OEM battery.

Have you checked out durbahn.de; he claims that these batteries can be run with the charging system on the bike. I'm not sure about going total loss just yet as half the track days here are actually nights and I will have to run lights.
post #8 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Craig
Ass off the seat

this is some crazy stuff!!!

post #9 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
RIPPERTON
MAD SCIENTIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by liter blade View Post
very interesting...thank you!
so we could junk the stator/charging system correct?
Yes, if youre at a race day or track day and plan to recharge between every race / session, you can remove the charging system BUT keep the starter motor.
The tests I did were on my CBR1000RR that has no starter system or charging system.
post #10 of 85 Old 10-05-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
RIPPERTON
MAD SCIENTIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by m48 View Post
Thanks for sharing the info. I've just bought a pair of 6.6v lithium nanowire batteries made by Duralite (usual application is remote control airplanes) which will be connected in series. I haven't weighed them but they feel about half the OEM battery.

Have you checked out durbahn.de; he claims that these batteries can be run with the charging system on the bike. I'm not sure about going total loss just yet as half the track days here are actually nights and I will have to run lights.
Check the fire hazard with the Nano battery. not sure if they are as safe as the LiFePO4.
You can run an alternator with LiFePO4 and in a passenger vehicle application, LiFePO4 actually use less fuel because the spend less time charging / loading the alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page