Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Mid pipe design

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rafa 
#1 ·
Just wondering what role the mid pipe design plays in how the bike runs. Some mid pipes look like pretzels or have a couple of loop backs, some have big chambers (taylormade, scorpion) and some have a pretty straight shot. I've heard that the twists and turns aid in exhaust velocity and I've heard that it also provides proper back pressure.
I am currently getting a custom mid for my scorpion. If I can adjust AFR with my Bazzaz Z-Fi why does it matter what my mid is doing?
On a side note: I notice that the motogp honda's undertail portion of the exhaust actually loops around under the seat before exiting.

#2 ·
I'm no exhaust guru but I read somewhere a longer exhaust gives more torque. Mick Doohan's 500 GP bike had a water injection into the exhaust to cool the pipe, it made the computer think the exhaust was longer than it was, it gave the bike more low end power. It was in an old Sport Rider magazine.

#7 ·
Well, for more peak hosepower you want the least resistance from the exhaust, or as straight of a pipe as possible.

Up to a point, more resistance, or bends, move the power band a little lower on the rpm range. Meaning you wont have the same peak horsepower, but more low, and mid range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.