Dyno PCV tune cost? : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Dyno PCV tune cost?

What is a reasonable / expected price for having a PCV tuned on the dyno? I've called around this AM and the one shop that actually picked up the phone quoted me $300. Seems kinda steep for a little bit of work to cost as much as the PCV itself... so I figured I'd ask the experts.

2008 1000rr
Yosh R-77 Slip-on
OEM Air Filter
No Flapper Mod
No PAIR Mod

Currently running the map from the PowerCommander site for my setup, but was hoping to get a custom map if it was reasonable $. The bike is still all over the place at idle, but I've noticed a marked improvement in the sputtering when around neutral throttle when riding around.

I checked the maps threads stickied, but couldn't find one that matched my setup.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
What is a reasonable / expected price for having a PCV tuned on the dyno? I've called around this AM and the one shop that actually picked up the phone quoted me $300. Seems kinda steep for a little bit of work to cost as much as the PCV itself... so I figured I'd ask the experts.

2008 1000rr
Yosh R-77 Slip-on
OEM Air Filter
No Flapper Mod
No PAIR Mod

Currently running the map from the PowerCommander site for my setup, but was hoping to get a custom map if it was reasonable $. The bike is still all over the place at idle, but I've noticed a marked improvement in the sputtering when around neutral throttle when riding around.

I checked the maps threads stickied, but couldn't find one that matched my setup.

That's exactly what i got quoted on....apparently they do three runs to rev limiter....i've also research and found that a "great" tune is done at 500rpm increments...either way im having mine tuned in a week or so after i install my full exhaust...i wouldnt mind paying $500 if they tuned it at every 500rpm increments...just saying

‎"What can you ever really know of other people's souls—of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands."

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."
~ The Weight of Glory
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #3

wow. it's expensive where you guys live. $300 for installing a PCV and a custom tune, and not 3 pulls, more like 6-10, including test rides as needed.

It also depends on the dyno machine, the newer the more the owner needs to pay off the machine..

I will say, a custom tune transforms the bike.
numbafree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbafree View Post
wow. it's expensive where you guys live. $300 for installing a PCV and a custom tune, and not 3 pulls, more like 6-10, including test rides as needed.

It also depends on the dyno machine, the newer the more the owner needs to pay off the machine..

I will say, a custom tune transforms the bike.
I live in Los Angeles...go figure

‎"What can you ever really know of other people's souls—of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands."

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."
~ The Weight of Glory
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

Local Harley dealer in my area said 400$ for a PC(which of course ill buy from superbikesupply for way cheaper) and 250$ for dyno tune. However I didn't ask what all that includes but he also told me I would be the first sport bike. So I may pass all together
Choppz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppz View Post
Local Harley dealer in my area said 400$ for a PC(which of course ill buy from superbikesupply for way cheaper) and 250$ for dyno tune. However I didn't ask what all that includes but he also told me I would be the first sport bike. So I may pass all together
Yeah.... That sounds like a Guinea pig move right there... Don't be the lab rat.
1320Whtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Sixty Four D Driver

Your jumpy idle might be your IAC valves out of sync. Mine was jumping all over the place too until i put a carbsync tool on it.

If you want a cheap map thats tons better than the PC maps on their site talk to this guy
http://www.faic.cc/efituning.html
Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
MKP
no regrets

A custom tune is probably the best performance mod you can do to your bike...well worth the $ spend.
$300. is what I paid for a quality tune from a reputable tuner...(and that was a discounted price).
MKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #9

They charge $200 here in Des Moines. $50 off tune if you buy the PC from them.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #10

some of them charge $350 an hour and the tuner is good sometimes it's worth it but you can also download for your aplicattion on the power commander website
Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement