Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012 Oil Burner?

18K views 272 replies 25 participants last post by  kingkong69 
#1 ·
My apologies but this topic keeps popping up and yes, I've already looked at oil burner threads until my eyes are glazing over. :beat: Yes, the 2012 still burns oil, no the 2012's don't burn oil, no one seems to have a definitive answer on this subject. Surely a company the size of Honda can sort this out and put it to rest after what.....five years?

Does your '12/'13 burn excessive oil? Please do not talk about pre-2012 units as I know they've had problems, I am looking at a left over, new 2012 unit at my local dealer but just can't seem to pull the trigger as this oil burning crap keeps resurfacing.

Thanks in advance for your honest input.

Reactions: the-rabbit
#3 ·
Well, that's not exactly the feedback I was looking for here Bevo but thanks for your input anway. This issue keeps resurfacing specifically on the CBR1000RR model, not other machines on the market so apparently something specific to this motorcycle is at play. I'm glad to hear you have not had the problem. :thumbsup:

If it is simply an issue of the owners inability to read a dipstick then we must conclude either:

A.) A disproportionately large number of people who buy a CBR1000RR are mechanically inept and cannot read a dipstick accurately.

B.)The dipstick is too difficult to read and needs a redesign to make it more user friendly.

I've read plenty of horror stories where folks with '08/'09s have run the engines bone dry in under a thousand miles, that doesn't sound like a dipstick issue but I've been wrong before.:beat:

#17 ·
:deadhorse:Time to get a life Bevo, just move along folks, nothing to see here...

#19 ·
Cool breeze, if I have any issues with the new bike, you'll be the first to know....nuff said.:thumbsup:

#23 ·
Why would anyone design an engine to burn oil?. I do agree though that the CBR seems to burn oil when ridden hard. Almost every track rider reports experiencieng some degree of oil burning.

To me it was not an issue because i would do an oil change every 1-2 trackdays (it was a trackbike), but i can see why for a commuter the whole oil burning thing can be a PITA..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#29 ·
My 2012 uses a little bit of oil.
So Bevo, anyone that reports oil useage is now an idiot? Brilliant!
Uh, I guess you'd have to define "bit". I've not pulled a piston on a CBR, but as I'm sure you know, most engines feature piston rings with gaps (the ring is not a complete circle) to allow oil to flow through to lube the cylinder walls, so yea, a bit of oil is going to pass through into the combustion chamber. How much oil that makes its way into the chamber would also vary by weight and type. I wonder how many riders with oil burners don't follow Honda's recommendation for oil because they think they know more than Honda.

FYI, there's a multi-quote feature here. You're welcome

#30 ·
Many of the 2012 burn oil.
Many of the members here don't want to say it out loud because here it goes down the resale value.
Also,many of the 2012 do not burn oil too, but that's win win situation.
You can't have 5 years of bikes that are made from Honda to have that same problem, and when you go buy a CBR , you just pray you got the good one.
My 08 just started burning oil before I trade it in.
Maybe didn't burned before because I was riding it slow.

Reactions: MM93
#33 ·
Time for an oil burning poll for the 2012 and up, sounds like Honda has not yet addressed this problem....great news!:thumbsup:

Reactions: GligorovDimce
#37 ·
Please explain "It leaks though, a lot when I ride it hard." Where are you leaking oil from or are you just joking?

#67 ·
That might not be a bad idea, the '07 is an excellent machine. I own both now, '07 and '12 and feel I'm qualified to speak about the subject. I rode my '07 tonight after putting in 138 miles on the new '12 and my first thoughts were the '07 felt like a race bike compared to the '12. Now understand the '12 is still breaking in and is stock, my '07 has an Akrapovic system, PC3 and tune so maybe not the fairest of comparisons but these were my thoughts. The '12 is a super smooth bike, plush suspension, great handling and excellent brakes and comfortable ergos. The '07 feels just a little less refined in all areas but hauls ass! It kills my '12 on low end and I would bet it dynos higher on the top end judging by the pull. The '07s are great bikes and when intelligently modded are all you need...and they don't burn any oil. Now before I get any hate mail, I really like the '12 and look forward to modding it like the '07 and then we'll see. For now, my take is it would be hard to go wrong with either machine.:thumbsup:

#68 ·
I want to make a disclaimer here. So you guys don't get the wrong idea about Texans in general, not everyone down here is like Bevo, he's an aberration, most folks here are actually pretty nice!:thumbsup:

#111 ·
You know, my ex girlfriend used to burn oil. Gawd she was an awful cook. She thought cooking was done inbetween tv shows, you know that 30 seconds when the tv wants to sell you something useless. Kitchen would smoke up from her trying to cook as she watched some shitty show about a dysfunctional family.

Thanks to her, I can now go to the butcher, pick out the best piece of meat on the table, cook the damn thing, choose the correct wine and actually impress people.

Heck thanks to her crap job, I taught myself to bake the perfect Beef Wellington.

Moral of the story, burning oil taught me there is always an alternative in life.

#110 ·

Gligorov, you look just fine on that Busa, you are not obese you are just a big man, enjoy your new ride!:thumbsup:

#120 ·
Worn exactly once for that photo shoot, I thought the suit was way over the top for street. I'm saving it for the track.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.