Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Is this normal???

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Rotten 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 CBR1000RR, I am the third owner. However, everything seems to be in working order, but there is one thing that concerns me or bothers me while riding, especially in town.

On any given day, particularly high 70's or 80's weather, the bike seems to reach over 200 degrees pretty quickly while riding in stop and go traffic in town. As soon as I get out on open road and start to open it up, it quickly drops to around high 170's degrees.

The fan comes on as mentioned in the manual, which I believe is around 215 degrees or 220 degrees or something like that and shuts off when it cools down below those temps.

So, like I said, before it all seems to be in good working order.

But it kind of bothers me how quickly it heats up in traffic and even when it isn't a blistering day of high 80's or even in the 90's.

Is this normal or do I have something else going on with the motor?

Thanks in advance.

OhioBob

See less See more
#2 ·
I am exactly the same as you. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see temps around 250, or if the temp doesn't drop after your out of that stop and go traffic. I have an 06 that runs the same. It shoots up quick in traffic and is at 177-180 when riding. I have never seen above 230 but mine hits 215-225 a lot when I'm in town.
As long as I see it going down when I get out to the open roads I feel fine. I believe the engine light comes on at 250ish. Keep an eye on your coolant tank and ride! If you sit on your bike in riding position you can find your reservoir on the right side inner fairing beside the fork or towards where that turn signal would be located.

#5 ·
My '12 does the same as well. 180F while on the highway, then rises to 220F in stop and go traffic. Sometimes fan doesn't even come on until I'm sitting for awhile at a stop light, but the temp is steady.

#6 ·
I haven't seen my bike climb above 235 since I flushed my coolant.

When I first bought the bike, temps used to hit 240 in traffic and I think those temps helped fry my stator. I figured out those temps weren't normal and realized my coolant was nasty and even some of it solidified in the bottom of my overflow as well.

#10 ·
it is completely normal . believe it or not your car runs just as hot . the diff in a car is that the center point of the analog gauge is about a 40 degree dead spot where you dont see it move . the center point on a car gauge is 180 to 220 . just for that reason so people dont freak out . every rr ive owned has done the same . if you want it to run a little cooler and not build heat so fast run engine ice or water wetter . it will still get up to those temps just not quite as fast . but to be honest this is nothing to orry about ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.