Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2008 radiator leak

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  black5.3 
#1 ·
Hey guys, havent posted in awhile because i have been busy and just riding and maintaining my 08 1krr as often as i can. I am about done modding it except for a fender eliminator and seat. So everything was going great until this past saturday night i park my bike on the concrete at my girlfriends house. Some friends are over and one asks to check out my bike cause he heard me pull up on it. At this time it has probably been sitting for about 30 mins. We walk out there and my eye is drawn to a pubble about 8"-10" wide right below where the side fairings connect to the bottom fairing at the front. Istuck my finger to it and sniffed the smell of antifreeze. So we crank it up and let it idle for a couple minutes when i notice small drops of coolant dropping from the bottom right side of the radiator(as your looking at the front of the bike). Luckily it got me back home so i could drive my truck. I tore it all apart that night so i could determine if i was going to buy a new one or repair the stock one. After looking around on the web the cheapest radiator i found was $690!!!:th_down:... So that idea was out of the window. I just sent it off to Mylers radiators out in Utah and they supposedly will have it back out the same day they recieve it and most repairs are less than $100. It sucked it happened cause i hate dealing with those stupid fairings and lining them all back up but atleast i caught it early before it overheated. A cox raditor guard will be going on it soon and i am also going to be protecting the lower half of the radiator with mesh like out of a screen door. You guys should probably inspect your radiators fairly often and keep little pieces of gravel out of it. Im not even sure if it was a rock or what that got the radiator because there was no apperant damage where it was leaking. I think it was just a combo of vibration and maybe a little rubbing froma fine piece of gravel. The radiator should be there wednesday so i will keep you guys posted.

I am also thinking about stripping the black paint from the aluminum radiator to get that bare aluminum look and going with a black cox guard. That would look pretty sweet

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah i am deff getting one soon. I should be hearing back from Mylers tomorrow about how bad the leak was and how much to fix it. I really dread dealing with the fairings and stuff again. Atleast this will give me a good opprotunity to change the oil and get new coolant in there. BTW, the bike only had 10,700 miles on it.

#7 ·
Sorry guys, i have had a few busy days and havent been on. The total cost to fix my rad was like $65 and i spent about $250 in shipping both ways lol. I had it 2 day shipped there and 2 days shipped back. The rad looked good when i got it back. It was tig welded in the spot of the leak and the repair was obvious but pretty good work for $65. I stripped all the paint from my rad because i wanted to go with a natural aluminum look. I will be putting a black radiator gaurd on it so its black on top of the silver rad. My bike is black/silver so i think it will be a nice touch and go good. I have about 120 miles on the bike so far and all is good for now so i will see how it holds up in the long run. I will post pics of the stripped rad soon. The weather has been horrible this way for the past 3-4 days.

#9 ·
Good to see your still around G.. It is done and already on the bike. I have put about 120 miles on it so far. Im waiting for a decent day to get a couple good pics. It will also be a couple more weeks before i buy the radiator guard. BTW, in case anyone was wondering- I have not seen a a temperature benefit from stripping the paint from the rad and going bare aluminum. Temps held around 171*-174* during cruising and interstate which is my normal temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.