Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Need Help- 07 1000RR overheats / runs too hot

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Marian 
#1 ·
Hello,
I wanted to ask for advise from anyone who has experienced what I am experiencing.

2007 CBR1000RR with 10200 miles and original owner.
I lowslided it on the track back in April. Cosmetic damage only. While reassembling the bike I decided to mix water wetter with the original coolant. It said on the bottle that it's safe to do so. Anyways, going on rides afterwards I noticed that my temp was rising much much more that it ever has before. Yes its summer time and its hot but in that past it hardly ever went above 104-105'C (221'F). I noticed when in traffic and doing under 50mph the temp rose up to 118'C (245'F) which freaked me out. Now Im afraid to let it idle at a stop light as the bike cannot lower the temps.

What I did so far:
Tested the fan and seems to be working ok. It wasn't coming on and staying on long enough for my comfort so I checked to relay- seems ok.
Decided to thoroughly flush the coolant and refill it with engine ice.

After doing this the temps were acting far more erratically that before! Ughhhh
I thought I purged the air out of it. Temps would rise to 102'C then shoot up to 116'C then down to 106'c. Fan was on..... Cut the engine off and again, temp was rising and lowing erratically.

Thinking I need to purge the system better I took if for a ride. First few miles were ok but on the way back yup, temps were up to 116'C ...

At this point I'm thinking it has a bad thermostat and or temp sensor. Odd because its only 10K miles.

Before I do this , Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
Was, but I replaced that aluminum pipe. I can't think of any other line or hose that would be restricted . Yet it's unable to cool the engine like it used to..

The only factor besides the minor low slide was the water wetter that I mixed in.
Unless that blocked up the thermostat for some odd reason? I can't imagine it doing so but....

Frustrating ......

#6 ·
Lots of my track buddies run that mix, no issues. wierd. are you sure you got all the air out of the system when you burped it? low hanging fruit is all I'm saying.

#7 ·
I know that your not supposed to mix different colors of coolant. I have green coolant in my 06 right now, and before I put engine ice in it I have to flush all the green out. Something about when the coolants mix it will turn in to a gooey that will clog the thermostat and everything else it comes in contact with.

#10 ·
Well, thank you for the responses.
Update.
Had a chance to fiddle with it today. Started the bike and let it run at idle. Bike warmed up normal up to 86'C. Then temp would rise and fall, rise and fall. Would jump to 109'C then immediately drop to 99'C then jump up. So I reached in and unplugged the temp sensor on the thermostat sprayed some contact cleaner on the points and re plugged it.
Now temps stays consistent. Rose to 114'C before fan came on which I did not like and the fan stayed on and temp dropped to 110'C. Still not right.

Not sure why it waited that long to activate the fan. I know the temp sensor transmits the data to the ECU and that activated the fan relay. Hmmmm

At this point I'm going to order a new thermostat and temp sensor.
I'm guessing the thermostat is not opening up fully. ?
Why the temp sensor acted like that, I dont know. Maybe I should un plug the battery to reset the ECU?

One more thing. ughhh
The right side of my fairing was extremely hot. I could barely touch the fairing and even my brake lever was scorching. The left side normal. I believe I have a flow problem and I hope the thermostat solves it.

Thanks ...

#12 ·
One more thing. ughhh
The right side of my fairing was extremely hot. I could barely touch the fairing and even my brake lever was scorching. The left side normal. I believe I have a flow problem and I hope the thermostat solves it.

Thanks ...
Having not yet had a dig around the cooling setup, where are the radiator inlet and outlets? How do they sit in relation to the coolant temp sensor?

Perhaps you have a restriction in flow through your radiator.

#11 ·
That upper limit is pretty normal on an '08+. I don't know about an '07. It seems Honda allows a wide range of temperature. In an '08+ the right side fan comes on first at a lower temperature then if that is insufficient and the temperature continues to rise the left fan comes on. This seems similar to what you describe.

#16 ·
Update

Update:
Thank you for the responses. Between my busy schedule had to squeeze in time to sort out this issue.

So I ordered a new thermostat and a new temp sensor. Took the time yesterday to work on the bike. Result: now the bike warms up to 82'C and immediately cools down a bit (thermostat working now) and took a long time to even reach 100'C and when it did the fan cooled it down to 96'C immediately. Wow what a difference!

I figured I had a flow issue but was surprised I needed a thermostat at 10K miles.

Best.

#17 ·
Update:
So I ordered a new thermostat and a new temp sensor. Took the time yesterday to work on the bike. Result: now the bike warms up to 82'C and immediately cools down a bit (thermostat working now) and took a long time to even reach 100'C and when it did the fan cooled it down to 96'C immediately.
82 seems very low, to me, to start cooling.
In slow traffic (0-30 km/h) my bike reaches 106/108 easily. Than the fan kicks in but temp still won't go under 97. Only "some speed" will cool it more.
Doing the legal speed (or a bit more) on the highway will cool it to 72/78.
But, as long as the fan kicks in and the bike doesn't start p*ssing.... everything is fine, according to my son. And as he's a certified mechanic I believe him. Especially since it's his bike I'm riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.