Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2004 right side clicking noise

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Repsol.Rider 
#1 ·
I noticed that coming out of the right side case there seems to be a bit of a clicking noise at idle when the bike is cold. After it warms up it seems to go away, although the other day when riding I could have sworn I heard it. Thoughts? Could it be the CCT?

Doesn't seem to really get worse if I rev it, but the sounds was not there a month ago.

2004 CBR
11 K on it
Just changed oil a month ago, full synthetic

Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
Mine is like that when I first start it as well but it dies down after warm up. It might just take a bit of time for the heads to get their fill of oil after start up. It may very well be the synthetic oil, too. It's not unheard of that synthetic oils may lead to "clickier" valves. Also, depending on how it has been ridden, it may be time for a valve adjustment, but those are scheduled for every 16000 miles.

#5 ·
this clicking...is it rhythmic like valve train/something rotating or is it haphazard-like? back when my 06 had stock exh, I'd notice a ticking after engine shutdown.

took a while, but finally narrowed it down to one of the joints in the header. not being fully welded allowed the 2 pipes to "move" under expansion/contraction.

made a loud "tick" every 5, 10 seconds or so until it completely cooled off. tig machine and some stainless filler fixed that real quick.

#7 ·
My 05 had the same noise and from what I've found out it's usually the CCT. I pulled mine apart to do the valve at 23K and didn't need it. Hondas are usually good about the clearance staying true as long as you take care of ride. I push my bikes pretty hard too. See if you can find a manual tensioner from someone like APE or the like. Can only help in the future. If it doesn't fix it you can go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.