Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Fair price for a new 2012

6K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  Meeps 
#1 ·
Ive been thinking about buying a brand new 2012, figure i can get it significantly cheaper than a 14.

Any thoughts on a fair price OTD for a brand new non-abs 12'? Planning on paying cash.

I figured somewhere in the 9.5 to 10k ballpark, but wanted to know what you guys think. They're asking almost 12..

#6 ·
Don't expect to find one for 10k OTD.

12k is too high now. 11k is the sweet spot. If you can find one. ( in the color you want )

Good luck.

I got mine for 10k OTD so it is possible. The wheeling and dealing was a sight to behold but I walked away on top! Threatened to walk out twice and caught them in a couple lies but I made out and got it in the color I wanted. They tried selling it to me initially for the price of a new 14 even though the online price was much less. Plus I knew the bike had been sitting there for a long time. Dealer tried to tell me they were moving like hot cakes and I flat out said I know you are lying. Then I told some fibs of my own. I told them I could get the bike at the price I was looking at somewhere else but wanted to buy it there. Told him if I left I was going to buy it at the other place or he could sell a bike today didn't matter to me. He asked me to show him where I could get the bike for that price and I told him that I wasn't going to do his job for him and he could look it up if he wanted.

All in all it depends on how much you are willing to look like a polite dick. I laughed when he said he didn't make commission on selling bikes. I said "good, then I don't have to feel bad for not giving a shit"

We don't talk when I go in now...lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
Yeah, you dick with them too much, and you don't get the warm fuzzy feeling.
But that's what they deserve when they try to deceive people.

Their job is to sell bikes, for maximum profit. Period.

The Finance guy try to sell you a bunch of extras after you negotiated the bike with the sales guy?
Oldest trick in the book. Finance guy is the sneakiest salesman in the dealership.
His job is to pad that sales contract with extras.

But in the end, they are pretty happy just to sell a bike, so they won't beat you up too bad in the finance office.
As long as you stand your ground.

#9 ·
i'd say 10k OTD is fair. Put it this way, I paid $12,200 OTD when my 2012 was brand new and they were just out at the dealerships.. 2013s were not even in production yet..

#14 ·
Prices also seem to vary from region to region, and dealer to dealer.

Some areas are higher, because bikes are more popular and/or people in the area have more money to spend on toys.

Also, competition in the market can play to your advantage, but only if the bike you are trying to buy is in-stock at all the nearby dealers.
If a dealer knows he is the only one with a particular bike you want, he holds all the cards.

Dealers will hold a bike and wait sometimes years for the right buyer to come along who is willing to pay more money for it.
Dealers only discount a bike as a last resort.
On some models, the demand exceeds the supply. Dealers love that.
They can price it high, and just wait for a sucker to come along.
Other bikes are not popular at all, and supply exceeds demand. More room to bargain on a showroom turd.

The CBR1000RR is always in-demand. It's the best bike out there in it's class.
It sells itself. I never see TV commercials for the new CBR1000RR.
But I have seen TV commercials for POLARIS machines lately.
Polaris is trying to push those Indians and Victorys.

I'd take an Indian or a Victory over a Hardley Dickerson anyday!
( If I were in the market for that type of bike. )

#17 ·
When I bought my last truck the finance manager told me that the bank requested I add on a 5 year 3rd party warranty. I said "Oh yeah" Lets get the on the phone as I would like to hear this directly from the horses mouth. Talk about someone talking in circles. I was so pissed I almost walked out and told him to EAD.

This is just one example of the scams they try and pull. Im sure the couple that bought the car before me bought that damn warranty.

Like Nyte said....before you buy you had better know your shit. When I bought my bike the salesman was a total douche. He jerked me around on a leftover '12 as well. Trying to get full MSRP. I laughed so hard I almost shit myself. Then he wanted to charge me for the exhaust, levers and fender eliminator they had put on it. I told him I did not request those items and he could either take them off or throw them in. He didnt have the OEM parts so he was stuck with his d!ck in his hand.

Then the finance manager was hilarious. 8% interest over a 5 year spread. Lol. I asked him what his best cash price was and then offered him 1k less. I only came up $250 from my offer and sealed the deal. Took more than 2 hours to do it but hell my truck was 4 hours.

Good luck with the hunt. Its frustrating to no end. I hate arguing with salesman. But when you hold the deck of cards in your hand you become the one feared. Go get em!!

#18 ·
Knowledge is key to buying any vehicle. You never want to leave feeling as if you got raked over the coals. That happened to me when I bought my first car out of bootcamp. I got hosed bad.....but learned from it. Next purchase I drove away feeling we both got a good deal.

And if you guys need a Mercedes and live in Texas

Texascarsdirect.com best prices you will find in Texas for a Merc with NO BS at the signing. Even got my wife 1.9% without a fight. They are in Dallas. My mother and father in law got one last month there as well. better SUV, cheaper and less interest rate than what they paid at Carmax back in May. Father in law crunched that in early September and they totaled it out.

Only reason I bring this up is because this had to be the best dealing I have ever had with a dealership.

#19 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah i mean ive got a pretty good idea what they're worth and what other stealerships are asking within 500 miles or so. I know they're gonna try and pull some stupid stuff so I dont mind playing the game back.

I mean, I already know its been there for quite some time and they have a couple! im sure they're trying to move them, especially with winter approaching and the riding seasons here being shorter than a midget. Im willing to bet they go days without seeing anyone come in at all.

And I only plan on paying cash, so luckily I can ignore everything the finance guy has to say. Financing these things sounds like a disaster, smh recreational vehicles.

Well see how it goes. Ill probably wait until about december or better yet, right after the holidays when people tend not to buy stuff.

#20 ·
be sure to check out cycle trader .com. I called and checked all local dealers looking for a 2013 HRC. Was told by all of them that I would never find one. Been sold out of them for months. They said they would do a dealer search for one. Checked a week later and nothing. All gone. Then I did my own internet search. Found one 110 miles away. New zero miles. $9,999 plus $83 dollars in dealer fees. No BS.
Had to pay my Louisiana sales tax and that's it. But if you look on cycle trader you can see several of those bikes. There are lots of them out there. I wonder why the local dealers told me I would never find one. You would think that with the power of the internet, they would be straight forward with you since you can do your own homework. Just makes you lose faith in them

#21 ·
be sure to check out cycle trader .com. I called and checked all local dealers looking for a 2013 HRC. Was told by all of them that I would never find one. Been sold out of them for months. They said they would do a dealer search for one. Checked a week later and nothing. All gone. Then I did my own internet search. Found one 110 miles away. New zero miles. $9,999 plus $83 dollars in dealer fees. No BS.

Had to pay my Louisiana sales tax and that's it. But if you look on cycle trader you can see several of those bikes. There are lots of them out there. I wonder why the local dealers told me I would never find one. You would think that with the power of the internet, they would be straight forward with you since you can do your own homework. Just makes you lose faith in them

Wanted you to buy a 14 perhaps...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#24 ·
New 2012

I saw this and contacted them....

2012 Honda CBR 1000RR Glen Burnie Motorsports Glen Burnie, MD 1-855-253-5253

After fees, I'm at $9,882, excluding taxes since I am in Illinois.
Is this a deal or no? Sounds a little high after fees for me, especially since I am going to pay a 8.5% tax on it.

I am willing to have it shipped or take a weekend trip there. Dealers around me want 10.5k+, excluding taxes.

Thoughts?

#25 ·
I saw this and contacted them....

2012 Honda CBR 1000RR Glen Burnie Motorsports Glen Burnie, MD 1-855-253-5253

After fees, I'm at $9,882, excluding taxes since I am in Illinois.
Is this a deal or no? Sounds a little high after fees for me, especially since I am going to pay a 8.5% tax on it.

I am willing to have it shipped or take a weekend trip there. Dealers around me want 10.5k+, excluding taxes.

Thoughts?
I bought one from them on 9/20. Granted I am in MD. They bought out a Honda Dealer/franchise last year which is why they have a bunch of '12s. I also thought the fees were a little excessive, but knew I would not be registering it. Sales staff and the Owner were friendly and good to deal with.

#28 ·
What price are they getting for 2nd hand? Don't expect to get a brand new one for any less.

You all need to remember that you don't run a business to lose $$. In seasonal affected markets your overheads are generally consistent despite sales being really high or really low so everything has to balance overall.

Consistently screwing the dealer might be a good feeling for you now but when he's gone bust, where do you go? (You will all be having to go to Walmart for your oil, and bitchin' about that!)

Best we can do is negotiate cleverly to keep them relatively competitive, but they still need to make a REASONABLE profit. Definitely, gouging is clearly unacceptable.

How about if your boss said he was discounting your wage 10% this week, perhaps maybe 15% coz its cold, I guess you would be most happy about this.

#31 ·
You all need to remember that you don't run a business to lose $$. In seasonal affected markets your overheads are generally consistent despite sales being really high or really low so everything has to balance overall.

Consistently screwing the dealer might be a good feeling for you now but when he's gone bust, where do you go? (You will all be having to go to Walmart for your oil, and bitchin' about that!)

Best we can do is negotiate cleverly to keep them relatively competitive, but they still need to make a REASONABLE profit. Definitely, gouging is clearly unacceptable.

How about if your boss said he was discounting your wage 10% this week, perhaps maybe 15% coz its cold, I guess you would be most happy about this.
You sound like you run a dealership! :thefinger:

The markup on new bikes is outrageous. BECAUSE: the dealership has huge operating expenses, and the business model is low-volume high-margin.

I would prefer to buy a new bike directly from the manufacturer in the crate.
But I am also not a fan of eliminating middle-man jobs.
Also also: the dealer is there to handle warranty repairs should the need arise.

SO... dealerships seem to be a necessary evil. :shrug:

AND NO... I will not be going to Wal-Fart for my motorcycle oil!
I'll just order it from ( motosport-dot-com ) and let the big brown truck drop it off at my house!

:D

#39 ·
Picking up a brand new 2014 1000RR on Thursday from Track 'n' Trail Honda in State College, PA for $11K OTD with absolutely no haggling (I live 2 hours away, and it was a fair price to begin with).

Reactions: Wannabe
#44 ·
I get what you're doing here throwing an insult at the bike rather than commenting on the price. But here's the thing, either you are OK with what the bike is or you're not. Someone interested in a bike that isn't "old and outdated" and buying new is not shopping at the Honda dealer and is going to spend way more than what this OP spent on his bike. Yep, this bike is a relic in today's market of cutting edge liter bikes but if you're interested in a fine bike with none of these advances then you can buy a new Honda CBR1000RR for many thousands less than the "other brands" you mention. There are many people who are very proud of their new CBRs and from their perspective the rest of us are the fools who have been parted from our money buying the latest and greatest that most will never be able to appreciate.

My real dig is on Honda and they should be ashamed of themselves for waiting so long to put TC and a real race ABS on a bike that really needs it to be safe to ride near it's limit. But for those that are happy to tootle around on it with lots of safety margin in their riding, you can't buy better for cheaper says I. My other concern is that one day the insurance companies are going to wake up and realize this bike doesn't have any of the aids that just about every other liter bike has and the insurance is going to go through the roof on them and price them out of even the budget liter bike market.

#50 ·
I paid $11,600 total drive out for my '12 back in April of 2014, I'd pay a lot less for a new one today, maybe $10,500 tops, that's pretty stale inventory and they should be willing to make a deal to get it off the floor before it turns into dust. Just my .02 worth.

Reactions: Wannabe
#52 ·
Sorry, didn't realize this was such an old thread, yea $10,500 on a '15 would be pretty decent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.