Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Riding penalties and felony's

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  cuseman55 
#1 ·
I lived in Atlanta back in '07 and '08. I was told that if you were caught going over 100 mph it was a automatic trip to jail and a felony. Along with a few thousand dollars worth of fines and impound fees. Someone posted in another thread that if you get caught doing a wheelie in Florida, it's a 1000.00 fine. I haven't researched this but does anyone have any definite knowledge of this type of fine. There are some long, boring stretches of road following the Mississippi river down here in Louisiana. I guess I've been lucky in years past but old age has certainly has made me think about doing any high speed riding anymore even if it's in the middle of the boonies. Of course we shouldn't do it , but sometimes I know for myself, I like to see the landscape whippin by at high speed. But not anymore if it could land me in jail with a felony.

#4 ·
in michigan, only fleeing and eluding is a felony. wheelies and 100+MPH is reckless driving misdemeanor. i've had fleeing and eluding dropped to reckless driving (misdemeanor), and reckless drivings dropped to impeding traffic or careless driving (but also had reckless stick 4x). never did more than 10 days in jail.

#6 ·
For comparison purposes, here in Perth AU, 45km/h over (30 mph over) is instant loss of license > $1000 fine and a court appearance for reckless driving.

Wheelies are considered reckless.

#7 ·
Lol and I came into this thread thinking it was about me hahaha

Reactions: max2010
#8 ·
Far as I remember. It's a Misdemeanor in FL : 100 MPH+/Double the speed limit known as reckless driving.

Wheelies come at a steep price. People don't go ham but the front comes up on most rides.

Got yanked in FL riding what I felt was a normal speed (^_-).....
Cop said i was doing 140+...
We chat'd about things (didn't have me on radar and I knew he was nowhere near close enough to properly pace me). We chat'd for some time .. how long I had been riding.. The conditions (families on sidewalks) .. i talked about my canyon runs in Norcal.. He happened to ride in socal.

Walked away with a ticket for unsafe equipment (bald rear tire).... Wasn't bald but he had write me up on something. I always try to be watchful when hooning. Sometimes you get lit up. From there, it all has to do with how you handle yourself. I got written up multiple times for allegedly being over 100MPH+. Never actually got charged with it. To be honest, laws aren't applied evenly. If you're a squid out there being a total fuck face in packed traffic or near people you can injure and you're pulled over and seem like a trouble maker ofc you're going to jail. If you seem like a stand up person who was just having a little fun in isolation, the treatment is totally different.

That being said, i don't get in the habit of speeding for long distances or on long straight roads. That's just asking for it and there's no fun involved IMO.

#11 ·
Reckless driving is a misdemeanor in CA too. But there is an infraction for going 100 and over. it's 2 points for 2 yrs, $900 for the first offense, 30 day suspension of license if you are found guilty. Ask me how I know.

#22 ·
Dunno about that. When I initially got stopped, he was gonna hand cuff me and take my bike.

I went briefly 120 that morning, going to a get a part for my car (dealership) and just came back from 2 day trackday on my zx6r.

#24 ·
Literally first day I got my bike out back in April and on my way home there was a wide open stretch past where cops usually sit and no one around me so I hammered for a secpnd. Sure enough cop on the right hand shoulder around a small bend.

Saw hits lights pulled over right away. Didn't as me me how fast I was going. Just said I clocked you at 118 Because I was so honest and compliant.dropped it to 84.got a traffic lawyer and dropped to non moving no point failure to obey. Got lucky and learned my lesson 330 bucks later.could of been much worse

Reactions: unirr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.