Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

If You Buy Shell Rotella From Walmart Read This!

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  NyteStalk3r 
#1 ·
So went to buy some 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic oil in the 1 gallon jug at Walmart and when I got it home noticed the plastic locking ring had already been sheared off... as in the bottle had been already opened. I went back to Walmart and checked their stock, five one gallon jugs on the shelf, one more had the broken seal and the other four were OK. I tried to explain to an employee in automotive that this is unacceptable and he just gave me a blank stare. Be forewarned and check for tampering, before purchasing check to see that the black locking ring is still attached to the cap, mine wasn't.

I don't know if this is limited to just this Walmart or there is a manufacturing defect at Shell with the lock rings but I want any oil I put in my motor factory sealed with no evidence of tampering. Shell no longer uses the aluminum foil secondary seal across the opening so anyone could've tampered with the oil.

Anyone else had this experience with the Rotella?

#2 ·
No but I don't purchase mine from a company that is destroying America

#5 ·
It isn't just the oil at Walmart. Here in El Paso you need to check everything. People will grab a couple jugs of laundry soap or fabric softener. They'll top off one jug then put the half full container back on the shelf.

#6 ·
Walmart is the devil. It's a slave labor racket for the distribution of Chinese-made crap in the USA.

Walmart grew too big, too fast, in a market that was already saturated with big-box discount stores such as Kmart, Target, and Sears.

I have been suspicious of Walmart from day one. It smells like a government backed secret program to me.
A secret deal with the Chinese government and our government, that was formulated behind closed doors.
The Walton family story is a front.

( But you know me, I see conspiracies under every rock. )

:D

Mostly because.... the world is NOT what it appears to be on the surface.
You have to dig deeper to find any real truth.

#9 · (Edited)
Walmart is the devil. It's a slave labor racket for the distribution of Chinese-made crap in the USA.

Can't blame Walmart. People are free to work where they choose, and shop where they choose, even if it means buying Chinese crap, instead of Made in The USA, which would cost them more money. This trend is certainly not limited to Walmart shoppers!

Walmart grew too big, too fast, in a market that was already saturated with big-box discount stores such as Kmart, Target, and Sears.

If Walmart has grown too big, too fast, and the market is saturated, it will have to shrink, or go out of business.

I have been suspicious of Walmart from day one. It smells like a government backed secret program to me.
A secret deal with the Chinese government and our government, that was formulated behind closed doors.
The Walton family story is a front.

You have a strange sense of smell. Paranoia, pure and simple. I know Sam Walton's family (I taught his grandson in school) and I can assure you that it is a successful free-market business venture, not a government conspiracy.

( But you know me, I see conspiracies under every rock. )

:D

Mostly because.... the world is NOT what it appears to be on the surface.
You have to dig deeper to find any real truth.
Of course you can believe whatever you want. My personal feeling is that Amazon is the evil empire.

#7 ·
Mineral shell oil 15-40 for my previous semi truck Volvo with cummins engine at truck stop is 19.00$
The same oil in auto zone is between 15 and 17 $
Now the very same oil in Walmart is 12$
One oil change for my semi truck uses 10 gallons, so I will let you do the math.

This Volvo semi truck that I have now has Volvo engine and I use Mobil mineral 15-40 oil.
Smililarities in pricing, 18-19 $ on truck stop ,auto zone 16-18$
Walmart has it for 12.5$
I need same quantity,10 gallons. Do the math. Plus i do about 7-10 oil changes a year.
And yes, they all had the seal on the cap.

#15 ·
Just to be sure, carefully read the label including the small detail. Front label may look same but check exactly where it is manufactured.
Whilst the additives may be the same, often the base oil is be different.

If exactly the same then I know where I would be buying from...

#8 ·
I drained that stuff out, replaced the filter and got a fresh jug of Rotella with an intact lockring....purchased at a different store. It wasn't worth the risk, there are dirtbags out there doing crazy stuff to save a few bucks and most seem to be employed by Walmart.

#17 ·
I talked to one guy that said scumbags will buy oil from Walmart, dump it in their engine and put the dirty oil back in the jug and return to Walmart for a refund. This was not the case with mine, the oil appeared to look, smell and feel like fresh Rotella but I didn't feel it was worth risking for $23, I'll error on the side of caution any day.

#18 ·
you might be surprised if you contacted corporate wal-mart, they probably would refund your money with no questions asked (maybe not)...... different story but same principle, i bought a 6 pack of Guinness draft bottles a few weeks ago from a shady party store in my area (yea that was the first red flag)...... any rate, got home, drinking a few of the beers, open beer #3 and take a swig, i was like, WTF, this tastes like crap, then i started looking closer at the label and noticed it was different from the other 5 beers in the pack, looked older faded..... so it was Friday night, i decided to let Guinness know about it, sent them an email that night, 20 minutes later, got a reply frmo Guinness, saying to call them as soon as possible to talk to them..... so i called em up buzzed on Friday night and they couldn't believe it....... asked me for the bar code on that one bottle, i read it off to them, he told me it was from 2008 !!!!!! WTF...... no way that came from Guinness like that, so he asked me to send a photo just for confirmation and i did..... they refunded my $12 the next week, sent me a check..... sorry for the long story, but in short, i don't go to that party store anymore, back in the day, i would have put a rock through the window, but now a days.... i just move a long my business to the next guy....

Attachments

#21 ·
Wonder how Walmart is with their employees now?

Back in the early/mid 90's I worked there for 3.5yrs, this was a still a small Wal-Mart store not the supercenter types of today.

A training store for managers who were headed to the big stores, basically.

Got bitched out numerous times for going over 40 hrs. Never forget one manager getting in my face about 1 hr over, yep 41 hrs. Yes I was wrote up for it.

That particular manager committed suicide a few weeks later we found out. Stress with his
GF & job was noted in a letter he left.

Over the time I was there, I met a few "managers in training" that were some what cool & open & they all said the same thing that this was the most stressful job they have ever had.

Sad I must say..

#22 ·
Yes, Wal-Fart is a piece of shit.

You ever heard of a DEAD PEASANT INSURANCE POLICY?

Look it up.
Companies secretly take out life insurance policies on their employees at a super cheap group rate, then work them and stress them to death.

Just one more way for the execs to get richer on the backs of the slaves.

( A firing squad is too good for them. ALL of them. )

#23 ·
Food Lion went out of business here after their meat department got caught bleaching old fish to remove the bad odor and taking old brown, smelly, ground beef and wrapping fresh ground around it to cover up the stink. Glad they're gone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.