Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2015 R1

54K views 433 replies 79 participants last post by  maxrr 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
I hope this is some kind of photoshop joke.
The re-styling is absolutely horrible
It's like the mid fairing was an complete afterthought... Oh shit.. we have no bolt down points...
Uninspired and unstyled panel gaps.
The exhaust section just looks like ass...
The rims don't suit it.
The integrated turn signal mirrors look like they were literally bolted on to the bike from a 1000rr..
Wtf is up w/ the front styling? the headlights... Looks like a friggin nurse shark
Has curved edges in some place and sharp lines in others.. So hard to digest the lines on this thing.

Maybe gets overshadowed by 'performance'?

#13 ·
Not my cup of tea. I'm kinda biased to the Honda. U til I get a chance to ride one......but until then, nah. I thought the same thing about the shark or stingray front end. The "bolt on" afterthought fairings. I'm sure it's a great bike, but the styling isn't for me.

Another thing is that I haven't found a bike that's more comfortable right out of the box. It just fits me.

#15 ·
From the EICMA web site:

A completely new project, the new Yamaha R1 moves on, maintaining only the name as trace from its past. The projectors’ intentions were to produce a MotoGP replica, in the strict sense.
The brand new engine, still with irregular valve timings, is a compact forward “crossplane” four-cylinder, with 4 valves per cylinder, that can develop 200 hp of maximum power when airbox is not under pressure.
The electronics are very sophisticated. Thanks to the first inertial platform (Inertial Measurement Unit) with 6 axes, for the first time on a street bike, the R1 can manage wheelies, traction control, sideslip control and ABS. Also included in the standard equipment are the electronic quickshifter gear and the launch control.
A great care was put in containing the weight (199 kg in running order), also reached through the utilization of special materials like magnesium, for the first time used for the wheels of a large scale motorcycle. The chassis is new, too, defined as short wheelbase. The data about the new YZF-R1 are impressive, ad show its amazing potential.

SPECIAL EDITION YAMAHA YZF-R1M
For professional teams and expert riders, who are looking for evolved performances on the race track and during competitions, Yamaha developed the YZF-R1 Special Edition, produced in limited quantities, and that will own an extraordinary equipment: for example, it will be equipped with Electronic Racing Suspensions (ERS), the Communication Control Unit (CCU), which allows the bike to interact with a tablet via WiFi, the carbon hull and Bridgestone competition tyres.

#16 ·
Lol unirr, it's not that bad! I kinda dig it. It looks more like the M1 from MotoGP, I actually love the front end look. Agree that exhaust is ugly and bulky, but that's easy enough to replace. From what I've read, it's still pretty heavy (440 lbs wet). The special (track) edition includes dynamic suspension, which is pretty cool - I think similar to the Panigale 1299.

#25 ·
This bike is designed after Yamaha's M1 MotoGP race bike. I just hope Honda comes with something to compete with it.
With how ugly that thing looks, I don't see Honda having much to do...
Beyond that, on 'performance', I am starting to note quite clearly how much of a dead end manuf's have hit and are now starting to just throw silly ass electronics and doohickeys on the bike to justify increased cost and 'newness'.

Glad I locked in my performance limit in a beautiful package (2012 1000rr).
Seems like manuf's are just off in la-la land now-a-days.. MOAR HP, Electronics, and uninspired designs ...

Launch control ...

wtf are they turning sports bikes into? Pretty soon they'll have paddle shifters, but/hand warmers, and GSM communication so you can post your ride stats directly to facebook.

I sure hope Honda doesn't follow suit.

#21 ·
The superbike segment is blooming again. The good old kawi is a beast, the beemer is a beast, the rsv4 is a beast, the pani is a beast too. Now Yamaha adds fuel to the fire (not to mention kawi and its h2 monster).

Suzuki and Honda can't afford being left behind. We will soon see the emergence of a new generation of ultra bikes. Exciting!!

#27 ·
Wonder if that will result in 'ultra riders'. Ultra bikes have been around forever .. they just are out of price reach and reason for the majority of people. Of the handful of times i have seen a Panigale, it was ridden by people who probably have never broken triple digits on it and had multi-inch wide chicken strips on the rear.

Beyond that, everyone seems to be forgetting the basic laws of physics and two wheel'd machines. If the front comes up under decent acceleration input on your standard 1000cc motorcycle, you are at the physical limits of what power a two wheeled machine can handle in a stable fashion.. You can add electronics that 'retard' the power output in such situations .....but, in that very act, you are defeating the point of these wild HP numbers... Launch control .. iphone connectivity .. 50 different riding modes. More HP than the bike could every physically manage unrestricted

We are now in the : Innovation->Iteration->Idiocy phase
:popcorn2:

#28 ·
I agree, unirr.

There is a horsepower limit a chassis can handle. Beyond that, is a waste.
They push the limits of engineering and physics, so they can use electronics to make it rideable.

The price keeps going up, and people keep buying it just for the bragging rights.
How many owners actually ride their bikes to the limit anyway? I know I never will.
You can't ride a literbike to it's limits on the street. Unless you want to lose your license or die.

For those track junkies, I understand whatever helps you turn faster lap times is useful to you. I respect that.
Track guys do push the limits in a controlled environment with a totally different set of rules.
If you ride track, and the electronics help you, it is what it is.

#31 ·
I agree, unirr.

There is a horsepower limit a chassis can handle. Beyond that, is a waste.

They push the limits of engineering and physics, so they can use electronics to make it rideable.

The price keeps going up, and people keep buying it just for the bragging rights.

How many owners actually ride their bikes to the limit anyway? I know I never will.

You can't ride a literbike to it's limits on the street. Unless you want to lose your license or die.

For those track junkies, I understand whatever helps you turn faster lap times is useful to you. I respect that.

Track guys do push the limits in a controlled environment with a totally different set of rules.

If you ride track, and the electronics help you, it is what it is.

But most people can't afford or afford to take the risk to bring one of these bikes to the track either...most ducatis around here are pre owned because some kid with a little bit of change in his pocket thought it was a good idea (natural gas money) and either realized he was in over his head or lost his job. The rest of us buy 3 year old Hondas as "new" bikes and I'd be scared out of my mind to take that to a track... Ultra bikes are a cool concept, but it wears off when only the super rich (or people who waste money and live in a cardboard box/with mom and dad) can afford them. You can only see Tom cruise own so many bikes before you stop liking that bike...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#39 ·
It has no nose. Further more, it looks like some track junkie slapped some headlights he got from the cycle gear bin on under the chin to make it street legal enough to ride to the local bike meetup.

The Dash looks like an uninspired hodgepodge of data and information.
I am guessing they took the 1000rr dash as a base and morph'd it for legal purposes (so they can't be sued for directly copying it) and then a marketing guy came along and said : lets make it color so we can say ours has a premium feature.

In doing so ofc, they added cost (color vs monochrome) .. So, they went with a less sharp display to normalize it.

For comparison :

vs.

Bad design :
> Color gets washed out in the sunlight and has less contrast than monochrome...
> The information layout is horrible compared
* Gear indicator is quite large and prominently displayed on the R1 vs being off to the side and shrunk on the 1000rr
* Horrible mashing of numeric values for RPM gauge and no uniformity :

* Big ass font size with no general consistency
* Random graphics taking up a large part of the screen

Two different design philosophies ...
IMO this shows the clear difference between thoughtful inspired design vs someone just throwing shit together. If more people were educated in HCI (Human Computer Interaction) and UI design, they'd be able to spot this turd.

One display looks thought through, professional, sophisticated and crisp.. The other looks like the kind of stuff you see on a shelf in toy-r-us

#32 ·
I think folks misunderstand the intention of these machines like the new R1, Panigale 1299, hopefully the upcoming Honda V4. These are not meant to be show-off bikes for the squids or your average street rider. In fact, no liter bikes ever really were. These are production racing machines - they are designed for going fast on the track, in an environment where one wheel above ground is not the limit of control/traction, but just the beginning. Sure, people like to ride these bikes on the street for fun, but at the end of the day these are race bikes. Glance at WSBK, BSB, AMA - this is what they are built for.

We are talking about teams/people that can pay $25k instead of $15k for a new bike. People that will gladly pay premium for the right electronics package that helps you not get tossed off the bike when you're coming out of a corner hard on the gas. These all may seem like incremental changes to you guys ("moar hp, electronics") - but what do you expect? A hoverbike? :) These are HUGE changes, actually. The R1 added not only more hp, but a phenomenal electronics package to help control that power. They also added a slew of connectivity options (throttle sensor, lean angle sensor, etc. - how cool is that?? people try to incorporate that into videos all the time). And don't even get me started on the electronic suspension. We'll have to see/read about how well it works, but what a cool option for those of you who know the pains of tinkering with rebound/compression when you can't get the feel just right in a certain corner.

These are big, big changes. They may not seem huge for street riders - but even so, the traction control and electronics package is a big safety improvement, will hopefully help less experienced guys get through some shaky moments. For someone who has a built engine in his/her race bike (i.e. all the bikes from WSBK and BSB) - sure, more hp may not be an improvement - but the electronics will be, for sure.

About the "ultra" bikes being unavailable, etc. There are plenty Panigales at the track, and people that ride them well are amazing. I think people complained about the price of the BMW 5 years ago. Well guess what, everyone has one at the track these days. The R1M is $21k MSRP from what I've read. Give it a few years, and you'll start to see used ones appearing closer to the $10k mark, just like the BMWs.

I, for one, can't wait to ride one. This is MotoGP technology, finally getting trickled down to guys like us. We are talking about racing technology that cost millions to prototype and refine - stuff that you only see in MotoGP, getting closer to our grasp. How f'n cool is that? :)

#41 ·
Can't argue with this. Of note though is the language 'Racing' .. 'Racing'. I draw attention to this over and over because it's the word and language that best describes the track.

On a regulated circuit, you have comparable HP range/electronics and there is a general evenness. In such an environment, rider skill is truly being compared.

On unregulated (John's weekend track), you generally have no regulation (uneven race) and your 'placing' or stats are general bogus given the wild range of machines and capability.

Beyond this is the fun factor.... There's something to be said about mastering the challenges and dynamics of an environment vs. electronics.

I'm a guy who still drives stick and hope to go to my grave driving stick.
I don't like paddle shifters. I don't like assisted manual clutches (found in the BMW M3). I don't like 'comfort' modes. I don't like being disconnected from the dynamics of the road.

Electronics offer the above and the reason is to make you 'faster round the bends'. You get something and you lose something. You get : Faster (which is what matters in a 'RACE') and you lose connectivity/feedback.

> Faster
vs
> Feedback

There's no if and or buts about this. To each is their own but lets not get confused about the intent of 'RACE' and 'Race' technology.

So, as you correctly state : These are Race platforms... Meant to 'win' and get 'fast lap times'... Not be the panacea of great 'riding'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.