Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2012 Fairings on a 2008 ...???

14K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Trinigerry 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, need information on what is necessary to put 2012 plastics (OEM) on a 2008 bike. The only way I would do this is if it can be done clean and properly. Meaning, if necessary, the requirements are things like for example ... fairing stay, ram-air tubes, and or sub-frame needing to be 2012+. I will put stock plastics on before I do any type of hacking. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Have fun, ride safe and as always, best wishes.

#2 ·
Use search function I've read a thread on this before . You need some different clips and stuff I know that much

#7 ·
Again who's got the best plastic's, Oh yeah ... OEM

Thanks Ted ... I have read about them and have not heard the greatest things about their product. You never know exactly what you are going to get until you get it. Especially when you are not dealing with OEM. Not saying that it would not be a fair deal for the price. I know expecting perfection at their price, unfortunately, but understandably is not logical. I just wish I were not so anal. OEM is just so expensive, as I am sure you must know. I have a decision to make and I am just trying to gather as much information as possible first. I crashed at the track and am considering just going race plastics but I like to ride her on the street once in a while. I really can not see me going wrong with their product from what I know, unless it is pure junk. Just do not want to have to be doing what I consider a hack job and not have everything I need. I am leaning towards race plastics .... and putting LED's on my helmet. Lol. Thanks again.

#8 ·
Thanks

Sorry, just want to be clear ... is what you are saying is that other than what you mentioned, all 2012 fairing's (OEM or aftermarket) will utilize the same sub frame and fairing stay. They will bolt right up? Also, do you (or anybody) know if the conversion kits include everything? Thanks for your help.

#6 ·
You have to buy 2012 headlights ? Damn that's probably more then the fairing set alone lol

#9 ·
Wwhat??? LOL

Thank you Moto. I think I read that Fairings plus' conversion kit includes that. I will keep mindful of that tho'. I guess my main concern is having everything(inner trim pieces, pop pins, etc. everything) I need so I am not running around wasting time when I put her back together. And of course, fit and finish being something my perfectionist ass can live with. This already giving me a headache, lol. Might just be going race plastics and go without her on the street. Was hoping to still street her till the 2016 CBR 1000rr comes out. But man, I am really digging the new R1 .... SSSHHHHHHH. Lol. Thanks again, later.

#12 ·
I got the kit from Fairings Plus. The fairings do not line up well on the front, I recently gave up and zip tied the front that kept popping off. The headlights are more plasticish than OEM. The ram air tubes are made of fiberglass and don't fit very well. If you are OCD then this is not the kit for you at all, there are large gaps. The tank and side fairings are fine though, but rear is not perfect either. It's also only a fraction of the price, and I was on an extreme budget. btw 08-11 mirrors will also fit.

They painted it in the color that I wanted (close to that color anyway) which was a huge bonus for me. I wanted an orange CBR, and now I have one.

My bike was totaled and was rebuilt after a low side, so I accepted that it would never be perfect again. I bought the bike back for less than $2k and fixed for less than $1,500. I can accept the imperfections considering my situation.

I'm not really into texting but you can look at some pictures on Instagram @larriice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.