Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

From a bad day to worse

5K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  TrackSol 
#1 ·
I lost my wallet while riding today during lunch. I was in uniform and some how it fell out of my cold weather jacket pocket. On the same ride, my 09 started making funny noises :confused2: Sounds like a 2 cylinder diesel. Might I be another 09 crank victim? I took someone's advice a couple months ago and called Honda and gave them my VIN and they said mine wasn't affected in the recall.

Take a look at these videos; it seems like there was a faint wine when I got it and it got progressively worse. I bought it with 14,400mi and I put 4,000 miles on it. I changed the oil shortly after I got it at 14,859 with Valvoline 4-stroke 10w-40 and then at 18,300 with Repsol 4T 10w-40 and a new OEM filter.

Here are some videos. Sorry about the wind (it's Oklahoma).

Video from May when I got her (bragging to my older brother who has a 600RR):

Clips from one video from August (listen to startup and idle):

Video today in town after stopping when first heard bike sounding weird:

Video today at home in garage:

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies.
h8tossinit, I don't know the age of the plugs. I'm the third owner.

bobes, cdaus_4, God I hope it's just an exhaust leak. The whole exhaust is titanium and is slip fit and held on with springs.

humanpaste, Thanks for the heads up. I'll check everything external and then look into checking the cct tension and valve adjustment. Say, would the valves being out of adjustment cause that wining sound or would it be more the ticking sound?

#8 ·
When they checked mine for the crank, they put it in gear but held the breaks so it didn't move and let the bike try to push it self forward while listening to the crank case area

#13 ·
Well, I think I may have located the source of my problem:

The header nut that is closest to the camera was only 1.5 turns from falling off. The nut on the opposite side is missing...

Anybody have a link to header nuts with holes for safety wire?

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Called another somewhat local dealer. Unfortunately they are a VERY small dealer and are not equipped to do this type of repair. They tipped me off to Shawnee Honda mentioning that they are only "1 of 25" special dealers that has the most techs on staff and probably see the most maintenance issues so they would be best to check into. I called and explained my situation and that I recorded video just like the bulletin for them to checkout before I waste my time heading out there. They said to shoot everything to their email so I did.

Bottom line, they've submitted my request to Honda!! Fingers crossed! Pray for me!

Here is the email traffic:

Manuel Feliz
to service, service2

John,

Here are the details about my 2009 CBR1000RR as per our telephone conversation today.

VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX943
Mileage: 18,477

I am the third owner of this unit. I bought the bike in May of this year from a private seller in Denton, TX. Since I've owed it I've done a bit of research on different internet forums and that is how I found out about the extended warranty on the engine. As I mentioned over the phone, I'm stationed up in Enid, OK so bringing the bike by for a check can be a bit difficult. I would like to know if there is even a remote possibility of getting my bike fixed as per the bulletin before I request from my supervisors to take off work to drop it off. I made a couple videos so that you can take a look at beforehand. One of the videos is filmed in the method described in the bulletin. Due to the size limits in my email, I've uploaded them to Google Drive and also DropBox.

I am being reassigned to North Carolina in February so if Tech Line would even consider the repair I would like to get it done as soon as possible. Please get back to me at your earliest convenience. My cellphone number is 000-000-0000. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Manuel Feliz
Ray Jones
to me

Could you check your vin again. What you sent us will not pull up in Honda’s system
Manny Feliz
to Ray

That should be the VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX943
(picture of VIN also attached)
Manny Feliz
to Ray

Mr. Jones,

I just wanted to follow up with to make sure you recieved my last email and see if you've had a chance to look into my request. Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
Manuel Feliz
service
to me

Yes I have submitted your request to American Honda

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

#18 ·
Update: I'll be dropping the bike off on Monday. I figure it doesn't hurt to have them at least try again using official video since it's cold and I'm not riding the bike anyway.

After their last email I called Honda Motorcycle customer service and told them what's been going on and that I was a bit confused as to why the dealer is saying that Honda would be willing to cover the parts but not the full repair because it is out of the warranty extension period. I told them that it seems to me like Honda told the dealer they would cover it all but the dealer is trying to stick me with the labor bill. The Honda rep said that they saw that the dealer did indeed speak with Tech Line and that there is a note there that they requested to speak with a Honda Field Agent. The rep told me that Tech Line probably wouldn't be able to authorize the repair on the videos I linked because my bike hadn't been inspected by the dealer. They request official video from the dealer to prevent fraud and also that the videos and information get set to Honda Japan as well. The rep mentioned that the Field Agent really is the last call on whether or not it would get repaired and that they can decide to repair it based on new information or something that may have been overlooked and recommended that I take the bike in to the dealer for them to record official video since it seems that the dealer is at least trying to work with me. Based on that, I emailed the dealer again. This is my email and his response:

Manny Feliz
to Ray

Mr Jones,

Thinking about it again, I think I would like to try to bring the bike by for you to take official dealer video and try and see if you can convince them to fully take care of the repair. With work the only days I can bring it by is Sunday or Monday. I understand you are closed those days. Would you be willing to meet me at the dealership just to recieve the bike?
Ray Jones
to me

We are always open on Monday’s Bring it anytime but I think it would be best to drop it off. I normally would not of ask for assistance from them without the bike here. They kinda scolded me for it. If the bike is not here they really don’t give it serious consideration in my opinion. To them it is like the dealer is being a little lazy. I understand your situation so I thought it would be ok ( they didn’t).

#21 ·
I dropped off the bike so they can record official video and attempt to see if Honda will pay for service bulletin. They needed to speak to a district service rep. At this point it doesn't look good. Here is the email traffic from last time up to today:

12/5/2014
Manuel Feliz
to Ray

Mr. Jones,
I will bring the bike by on Monday around 10AM.

Regards,
Manuel Feliz
12/8/2014
Manuel Feliz
to Ray

Mr Jones,

I dropped off my bike today and left it with Jon.

Regards,
Manuel
12/11/2014
Manuel Feliz
to Ray, service2

Good afternoon. I'm just following up to see if there's been any word back from Honda about my bike.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Manuel
12/11/2014
Ray Jones
to me

Manuel,

The only avenue we have left is our district service manager. He is the only one that can approve this repair at this point. I have left him a couple messages but we keep playing phone tag. Hopefully I will hear from him tomorrow. He spends most of his traveling but he will be getting home Friday. I will let you know as soon as I know something.
12/13/2014
Ray Jones
to me

Still no word from my rep. Once again I missed his call. In his defense he is covering 2 districts right now and he is really spread thin. I have e mailed him also.
12/13/2014
Manuel Feliz
to Ray

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted. I'll check back in with you mid next week.
12/17/2014
Manuel Feliz
to Ray

Mr. Jones,

Just checking in again. Have you been able to speak with the district Honda rep?

Regards,
Manuel Feliz
12/20/2014
Ray Jones
to me

Finally got to talk to service rep. I did not have any luck. When did you buy this bike?

How did you find out about the warranty update.

The only chance we would have if you was overseas the last couple of years. These are the questions he ask me.
12/20/2014
Manuel Feliz
to Ray

Mr. Jones,
I purchased this bike on May 17th of this year. I believe I am the third owner. I found out about the service bulletin in May when doing research about general maintenance on two enthusiast internet forums: repsolforum.com and 1000rr.net. I called American Honda in late May to inquire about the service bulletin and was only told that there were no active campaigns on my VIN. This being my first motorcycle and having faith in Honda reliability, I didn't think much of it. Naturally I became worried when it started developing the whining noise so I looked into the warranty extension again which brought me to check with my local dealers and ultimately led me to Shawnee Honda.
I must admit that I am very disappointed with the news in your latest email. The bike has only 18K miles and I would never have thought Honda wouldn't stand behind their product. I am a man of honesty and principles. I place great value on ethics and customer service when conducting business. I am also very loyal. This bike is my 5th Honda product (4 vehicles and a lawn mower). I have always recommend Honda vehicles to family and friends. I feel saddened to say that if Honda won't repair my bike that I will no longer continue to buy Honda products and can not recommend them in good conscience. I have already shared the current issue with the bike on the two mentioned forums and have been updating them with each new update. If we can't resolve this issue to my satisfaction then I will be compelled to share my experience with every motorcycle forum I can find.
As I have mentioned earlier, I am being reassigned to North Carolina at the end of January. My wife and I have already started packing in preparation for our move. I will need to know how this will be resolved as soon as possible so that I can make arrangements to go pick up my bike.

Regards,
Manuel Feliz

#22 ·
Before tear down, pin it down with a stethoscope or electronic chassis ears, this is a very direct method and crucial to good diagnosis of any noises. 98% of the time you WILL pin it to the exact point of origin with this method.

#23 ·
The service bulletin has a test procedure to diagnose the noise. It calls for putting the bike in gear and loading the engine by slowly letting out the clutch while holding the front brake. I have performed the procedure and how the dealer has as well confirming the source of the noise.

#24 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I just wanted to give you guys an update. Skipping ahead to the current status: American Honda has authorized the repair and parts are in route to the dealer! That is a serious act of goodwill as the extended warranty for the primary drive gear noise ended in April 2014!!!

A little back story since my last post:
On Dec 23rd or Dec 24th I called American Honda again and asked about my case. They stated that they did not see a dealer provided video in the system, but that doesn't mean that they didn't make one. I told them of my dealings with the dealer and how they were told that all warranty work must go though their regional contact. American Honda said that they are always willing to take another look at a claim and that they have the final word on any repairs regardless of warranty status. They told me that if the dealer could send the video direct to tech line that they are willing to take a look at it. Unfortunately the next day they were closing for the holiday break and wouldn't be back until Jan 6th so they wouldn't see the video until then but I could call back on the 6th to check back in. I passed on the info to the dealer and they said that if American Honda will go over their regional guy then sure they'll send the video. They sent the video during the holiday break. I called back on the 6th to check up and was told that my claim had been handed off to a case manager and I should get a call within 48 hours. The case manager called and left a message stating that they were going to contact the dealer to try and get some more details about my machine and that she would be in touch. Yesterday Jan 14th I got an email from the dealer maintenance manager that my claim had been approved. Today Jan 15th I got a call from the dealer shop foreman checking to see if I had seen the email and asked if they still had time to do the repair. I let them know that while we still had plans for leaving Feb 3rd, I have a couple issues at work that may delay or even cancel the move. The foreman said that he would check availability on the parts and see if they could make something happen. If they could get the parts within the next week that they could finish up the job in a couple days. Later today I got a call from the case manager that the parts were in route.

So while we may not be moving to NC, the good news is that the bike is getting fixed! :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.