Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2007 vs 2014?

5K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  themyth1974 
#1 ·
So, I'm toying with the idea of trading in my 2007 RR for a 2014. Will there be a noticeable difference? I've read the seating on the 14 is way more comfortable (well, as comfortable as a sportbike can get anyways :rolleyes:). Would the differences in the two be worth the upgrade or am I wasting my money?

#5 ·

I've got an '07 and a '12, essentially the same as a '14. The new bike has more midrange, '07 hits way harder down low which is fun if you like to wheelie off the stoplights. I like both machines, they feel different but similar at the same time if that makes any sense. Looks are subjective but I like the looks of both equally.
I can't say the new bike is lightyears better than the old one, I can get a march on down a twisty road with either one.

Reactions: Spyder76
#7 ·
Would the differences in the two be worth the upgrade or am I wasting my money?
That depends, if you feel the itch for a new bike, I'd say get the new one, if you have a highly modified '07 that's mechanically in top notch condition, you might be disappointed with the new one. There is not a dramatic difference IMHO, both put out similar HP and both handle well. My '07 feels racier but my '12 feels slightly more refined in most areas. Bottom line, if you have the bucks and gotta have new to be happy, I'd go for a new one, if you're happy with the performance of the '07 and don't feel like stretching the budget, it's a fine machine and really all that you need. Only you can make the decision.

#9 ·
Same here, 1100 miles on the '12 in 8 months. On the track I think the '12 would have the edge but for street there's really little to choose.

#15 ·
The '08 went on a serious Jarrod diet and the '14 lost a tad more weight( non ABS model). My last 08 was hopped up and FUN and yes I miss it, however my non ABS '14 is a significantly better ride and easier to push around on any condition, throttle settings etc.. In stock form. I'm in the middle of modding up this one ('14) With exhaust, Mapping, suspension etc... I'm pretty sure the '15 is going to be another step up.

#17 ·
I have to agree, I just bought a new house and had a couple riding buddies help me ride my bikes over to the new house. I got to see my '07 and my '12 side by side on the freeway and it was no contest, the '07 is a sexy beast! :thumbsup:

#18 ·
I moved from an '05 to an '11 and as much as I liked the '05, I have to say that my '11 is a lot more bike. It's lighter, has a mondo mid-range and handles better as well. I only upgraded because my '05 was stolen though. If it hadn't been, I'd probably still have it.

#19 ·
So, I'm toying with the idea of trading in my 2007 RR for a 2014. Will there be a noticeable difference?
Quite simply: Yes

I've read the seating on the 14 is way more comfortable (well, as comfortable as a sportbike can get anyways :rolleyes:)?
That will always depend on the rider and his feeling. Some will say yes, some will say no, some will saw "meh..."

Would the differences in the two be worth the upgrade or am I wasting my money
You should really try a 2012-2014 model first... But I would say it will definitely be a great upgrade.

#20 ·
Brakes are slightly better on my '12, more midrange power and narrower between the knees. My '07 has way more hit right off idle which makes around town fun while the 6th gear acceleration between 80 mph and 100 mph on the '12 is epic. The big piston fork on the '12 is stiffer and the slipper clutch is nice, handling wise both get the job done. I think overall the '12 is a bit more refined and improved but it's subtle IMHO, not night and day different. That said, I'm happy with the '12 and I bought it right.

#22 ·
Well, I did it. Thanks for all the comments/advice guys.

Got a pretty good deal on it and a fair price for a trade in so I went for it. They delivered it last week. Now I have to sit and look at it in the garage for 2-3 months while I wait for the snow to melt. :(

To answer your questions, my 07 was mostly stock. Had an Akra slip on, a custom map, frame sliders and the usual cosmetic stuff (short stalk blinkers, FE, etc). I don't race but do some track days here and there in the MN area.

Now I begin the mods while I wait for warmer weather. Probably just going to get a rear cowl, FE, frame sliders and remove the passenger pegs to start.

Any suggestions on FEs? I'm thinking Targa or R&G.

Not sure if I'm going to do the exhaust or wait a bit on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.