Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

08 cbr1000rr to 15 s1000rr

20K views 173 replies 39 participants last post by  Hardcore 
#1 ·
I loved my CBR but it was time to move on. It was getting plenty of miles and was laid down at one point. I picked up the 15 s1000rr in premium this past weekend. It is a great bike to say the least. I felt at home on it in no time. It is a clear step up from the 08 cbr i had.

If you are on edge about the cbr vs s1krr then by all means the s1k. If you want a great bike that still will hold its own against any other bike to date the cbr is perfect.

Im happy i made the change but man to me the 08 cbr is still by far the best looking bike. Its just so clean sharp and smooth all at the same time.

ANyway it sucks im not on a honda as i have always had honda but im happy with the new bmw.

#3 ·
+ pit lane limiter to annoy suburbia with, electronic suspension (I thought it was standard on the 2015 model?)
- lose mid-range compared to fireblade

nice bike, I like them. just way more than I want to spend on something that will rapidly depreciate though.

#5 ·
A tick over 22 OTD! That was with the premium package. It has everything on it. all the electronic stuff plus the DDC and Forged rims, 200 rear tire (super corsa).

electronic suspension is standard but the DDC from the HP4 is not standard.

The 14 and below bmw was down on mid range. The 15 is a new story. TQ is only up a hair but HP is up all around the power band. The 15 is fast and even felt as fast or faster then my cbr that was pushing 20K miles (mine had the gear whine). Also they say that the bmw engine needs several thousand miles to really break in and shown total HP numbers. So in theroy it will get better as the summer goes on.

I have not played with all the stuff yet tho. It was sub 40 deg and i hade to ride it 120+ miles to get it home. I just wanted to get it home and safe. I brought my book to work today to read when i get a chance.

#7 ·
BaronVonGrumble just put out his review on the 15 s1krr. In the very end he says yes if he were getting a new bike he would buy it. He says that the bmw has fixed its mid range which was about the one thing the blade had over on it and now its a no brainer. So there. New mid range grunt for the bmw.

I really cant wait to see what honda does next for the cbr 1000rr. I have and always will like hondas.

#9 ·
The cbr had the whine from day one that i got it. From other YT videos it would seem it was what honda had the big recall for. It sounded like it was supercharged. I watched several vdeos from honda videos to dealer videos doing the 1st gear test and all.

At idle it was crazy loud. Mine sis it way more then other bikes i saw get the recall done. I didnt want them to split the case on a bike that had been down before.

#13 ·
44teeth.com have a good detailed discussion on the new s1000rr and also the 1299 panigale

Electronic suspension is definitely the way forward. Any static setup is always a compromise, f1 was using active suspension back in the early 90s until it was banned to try and slow the cars down again.

The bike being able to adjust suspension on the fly is potentially a massive, massive win. You can have your plush bump absorption and yet have it firm up when the bike tips over or brakes or accelerates to deal with the g forces...

#14 ·
I did about 100 miles on it Saturday. it was in the low 50's. I did about 40 miles with the wife on the bike as well. The DDC soaks up the bumps perfectly. For me the big area is going onto and off of bridges (overpasses). The bump at the start was just so jarring on the cbr. I would lean my butt to the back of the seat to get in the thicker pad or just lift my butt up a bit to let my legs soak the bump. On the BMW its like a car. Ues you still feel the bump but you dont get a jarring bump. You get a simple jump. The bike stays solid. It does not feel like the front hits so hard that it lifts into the air then the back lifts. It just feels normal or smooth. Even when the wife got on it the bumps still felt the same way. Her weight didnt effect the DDC at all. Or i should say the DDC adjusted to her weight being on the bike and changed everything to give me the same feel. I also hit a few off ramps. The bike felt very good and i could have pushed the bike way harder then i did. The roads were not the cleanest so i stayed safe.

I dont know how well the tires will wear at this point (almost 300 miles). I would guess the tires will last longer as the TC kicks in and stops wheel spin. My problem with the cbr was how easy it could spin the rear when warming up. I think i will get much more tire life with the TC helping out my heavy hand.

The wheels are the same as the HP4 but they are black and not blue.

Going from the cbr to the BMW/ 0-max rider aids is a jump. The one thing i am still getting the hang of it the shifter. For me its finding neutral. The bike is still new and the gearbox still tight so i think that will get better as i ride more.

#17 ·
I think the tires will last longer due to the ddc but more so the TC.

Wow does the heated grips and cruise control make it a joy to ride. It sounds stupid and pointless but once you have it you understand. I life 20 miles away from the nearest place i ride. Now i get on the highway hit the speed limit set it and sit back. i hand a throttle miester on the cbr and it was nice but actual CC is the shit.

#18 ·
The S1000RR is a nice bike but it's similar to other "premium" things with regards to cost of ownership / maintenance. For example : to properly maintain a late model BMW 7 series under average driving conditions / mileage it will cost you between 10 and 12 grand per year.

A clutch that's $250 in parts for a CBR1000RR is $750 for an S1000RR.

Would I own a BMW motorcycle full of electronic modules that was off warranty? Not a chance

#20 ·
tenth_gen not 100% true. The BMW has no more service intervals then the honda. Oil change will still be an aftermarket deal so still the same price, sprockets, chains, tires all still the same price. I have 84 months of warranty so no worries there. Parts for the bmw are not that much expensive then a honda due to how popular they have become.

#21 ·
It depends how you go about doing maintenence.

If you do your own maintenance or take it to an all brand shop for oil changes then yes only the parts like the clutch I listed above are really going to cost you more, but .....

If you take the bike to a BMW dealer do you think their hourly shop rate and parts prices are going to be in line with a Honda dealer servicing a CBR1000RR? Really?

#22 ·
It will not. But they will give you a f800 loaner if you needed it. I guess you get what you pay.

The added complexity issue can be expanded to the infinite. Would I own a bike with an electronic steering damper off guarantee??? Hell no!. Would I own a bike that could potentially start burning oil off guarantee? Hell no!.

I'm just playing devils advocate here, but things can way look one way or the other depending on the hierarchy of your preferences/priorities.....

#28 ·
Would I own a bike with an electronic steering damper off guarantee??? Hell no!. Would I own a bike that could potentially start burning oil off guarantee? Hell no!.
I never heard of a problem with the Honda HESD.
The oil burning issue was fixed after 2010.

Would I own a bike made by a company with one of the worst track-records for electronics reliability in their automobiles?

HELL NO.

Would I buy a bike that costs $6,000 MORE because it has a bunch of stupid electronics all over it?

HELL NO.

#23 ·
LOL true, the good ol' oil burning blades. 99% the reason I never purchased a blade post o7.

the new s1000rr sounds very impressive Ive gotta say, and Im tempted by it no doubt. The long term reliability of the ddc in particularwill be interesting though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.