Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pcv and dyno jet irc/bazzaz z-bomb keep burning out

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  neocryte 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 cbr 1000rr and im running into problems. Ive been riding my bike fine for the last 17k miles with a pcv and zbomb. A few months ago the bike cut off and i figured out it was the only pcv that was burnt out. No lights on the pcv box or. Pcv Harness and ground wire lookedfine. So I yanked it out and rode it with the zbomb. 4k miles later my bike acted up. So i removed the zbomb and it rode fine. Replaced the zbomb with the dyno jet irc. 100 miles later bike acted up, so i yanked it out and now its fine. So now my bike is stock except air filter and exhaust. I just bought another pcv but debating about putting it on because im worried bout it not working later down the road. I thought this was just me.. But recently my buddy with another 2012 cbr 1000 with the same mods is now having the same problems. Anyone else have these problems?

#5 ·
Sorry, I didn't go with Dynojet (got Z-Fi and Z-bomb).

Since your PCV and Z-bomb may have gotten fried, I would guess an electrical short somewhere. Did you use Scotch-Lok connectors or splice the wires with solder with your original PCV install?

#3 ·
Same thing happened to me one day while the bike was warming up. Module was the first dynojet Irc version that was shrink wrapped, not hard plastic coated. After three days at the stealership and 800 dollars spent for them NOT to fix my bike, I walked into the shop, took the Irc out and bike immediately fired. They said it was my fault because of all the aftermarket electronics even though they are a authorized dynojet facility here in wilmington nc. The mechanics had to call honda because they just couldn't figure it out:). I will never let any one else turn a wrench on my bike for this reason. I replaced it with the bazaaz z-bomb which has held up fine so far. At least I'll know where to go first next time before I piss so much money away at Wimlmington NC Honda Suzuki to look at my bike for 3 days and scratch their heads like a bunch of inbred chimps who obviously can't work on a bike or even sell one for that matter either:). Sorry for the rant but I couldn't pass up the chance to publicize shitty service- I tell everyone I know and I'm sure they wish I would forget:)
I haven't had any problems with the z-bomb as of yet and it's been over 10k miles now I'm sure. Dynojet changed their original design and encapsulated in plastic like the bazaaz. Just remember all it is is a resistor that will eventually fail. Just my .02

Reactions: Thepfaff
#4 ·
I have not had mine on for long enough to say. But I would speculate that it was bad electronics.

If I was you and had a new fuel module I would install it and see what happens. This might be a way of telling if it is the ECU not talking or getting proper instructions from the fuel module or if it was simply faulty.

I know I've heard about a lot of them going bad. What that's from could be anything from heat cold or maybe even dropping the bike.

You could also try the parts on another bike to help isolate the cause. ie your bike or the parts.

#6 ·
For electronics to have a long happy life they need a solid set of connections and clean - steady (no large frequent spikes) power. Given that these are automotive devices they should be very tolerant of voltage changes with the normal range of operation. That is, battery only operation, charging, starting. If there is any doubt you should review how the devices are connected. This is more in reference to the fuel control than the z-bomb or IRC.

#7 ·
Op...dude, if i recall you do have a lot of electrical problems with your bike.
The main thing is your power source, means positve and ground, its best to go directly to battery, only key on hot that goes to tail light.
Have any doubt......better bring it to good mechanic.

#8 ·
the thing is my bike is electrically fine. im anal about my bike not being in tip top shape 24/7. i baby it. battery is always strong, stator is good. all my wiring for my accessories all in inline fuses. ive never blown a fuse on anything. my bike seems to be perfectly fine without pcv and the irc. i went 17k miles with the pcv and irc just fine. now they acted up and i just yanked them out. perfectly fine. im itching to throw on the new pcv i just bought. My buddy has the same bike with mods and just not experience these problems as well. i guess ill just ride without a pcv and irc

#10 ·
I had the same issue with one of my CBRs. The bike would start and ride fine but it was as if the irc or zbomb wasn't there - the throttle cap came back. Very frustrating. I ended up reflashing the ecu on that bike to remove the limiter. My other bike seems to be fine with the irc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.