Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Why does Honda have bad resale trade in value?

11K views 53 replies 31 participants last post by  thro 
#1 ·
I wont be buying a Honda CBR600RR ever again horrible resale value when it comes time to trade in.

I have 2013 Honda CBR600RR excellent condition done only 11,000 km, the dealer only offered me $8500 for it while they are selling a 2008 model for $11,000 with 20,000+ km.

Terrible resale value for trade in. I am going to buy another brand instead.

This is why I am telling everyone do not buy Honda they have very bad trade in value. I am sure they will pull this shit on me too if I have had a CBR1000RR --> STAY AWAY FROM HONDA DEALERSHIPS they are rip off merchants !!!!

2011 used worth more than a 2013 with less kilometers?

I will now have to sell my bike privately :( anyone know how to sell bikes privately? I am scared of bike thieves and time wasters how do i deal with them?

#6 ·
trade in value is always horrible. Especially if the bike is extremely popular and there are so many of them out there. You also have to expect that the dealership is going to try and make some money on your bike if they turn around and try and sell it. This may include, inspection, oil change, brake job, etc...

Same goes for cars. Trade in value is never good. You will always be able to get more money by doing a private sale. 8500 is a fair price for trade in on a 2-3 year old 600 class supersport. But why are you trading in the 600 so soon? It's barely broken in at this point.

#33 ·
The same applies to all brands of bikes & cars.

$10490, tell em they're dreamin'. Anyways, $10490 is before the buyer screws em on the deal.
The $8500 is before they put their margin on, and don't forget dealer sell price must also add our 10% GST. Also note that used margin is way more than new margin.

Contributing to poor trade-in $$ is people want to seriously screw the dealer on the new bike. So, if they sell a new 2012 1kr for $10k, how much is a trade in worth? And what if you paid $12k? you're gonna get offered shit back.

If you want a good price sell private. Be careful about who you tell where it is kept, and be wary that seemingly innocent questions asked can be fishing to find out when you are actually NOT at home.
Enjoy your new purchase and good luck

Thank you mate we've done the deal I only got $8000 for our Honda :( but my wife now has a bike she loves - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R 30th Anniversary.

The 2015 Honda CBR100RR Fireblade is very sexy bike too :) shame we can't have both too poor to for that kind of life style.

#8 ·
This is Australian dollar I am talking about guys sorry for not being clear.

I bought it new $14990 in 2014 it is a 2013 model - this dealer and other dealers are only offering me $8500 as a trade in but they are selling much older models such as 2008 to 2011 for $11,000.

How does this work? Surely my bike is worth as much as a 2011 model at least? Even if they only offered me $10000 I would not be upset with that but they only gave me $8500.

Either Honda has a shit trade in price or I am being totally ripped off by Honda dealerships all over Perth Australia.

Kawasaki gave us $10,000 as a trade in on a 2015 Kawasaki Ninja zx10r 30th Anniversary but we cant afford that bike :(

#10 ·
Either Honda has a shit trade in price or I am being totally ripped off by Honda dealerships all over Perth Australia.
You don't seem to understand the math in this game.
Did you skip ECONOMICS class in college?
I don't even know how to help you.

It's like you are asking why the sky is blue.
Or why fire hurts when you touch it.

:rolleyes:

#12 ·
1. All dealers are trying to make as much money as they can. Of course they will offer you much less for a trade-in than they will sell it for.
2. What evidence do you have that this has anything to do with it being a Honda? What brands have better trade-in value? How do you know?
3. Everyone knows that you need to sell the bike yourself if you want to make as much money as possible :beat:.
4. Is that your wife? She's hot :cool:!

#13 ·
I have talked to family members over the years that have sold new cars, and the stories they tell is surreal. Customers who loose thousands of dollars in a year trading just because.

I used to work with 2 brothers who each traded for new vehicles every 6 months. They literally spent most of their money on trading. I do not think they ever sold one privately.

Like any other addition.....

#16 ·
The same applies to all brands of bikes & cars.

$10490, tell em they're dreamin'. Anyways, $10490 is before the buyer screws em on the deal.
The $8500 is before they put their margin on, and don't forget dealer sell price must also add our 10% GST. Also note that used margin is way more than new margin.

Contributing to poor trade-in $$ is people want to seriously screw the dealer on the new bike. So, if they sell a new 2012 1kr for $10k, how much is a trade in worth? And what if you paid $12k? you're gonna get offered shit back.

If you want a good price sell private. Be careful about who you tell where it is kept, and be wary that seemingly innocent questions asked can be fishing to find out when you are actually NOT at home.

#18 ·
This reminds me of a dealership I went to... I was ok with the trade-in value offered for my bike, but the asking price for the new bike was a little high and I wanted the price to come down $1500.

I started saying "I know you guys have to make money on this bike..." and the sales guy corrected me and said "We have to make money on both bikes."

So I took a hit on my second bike, but did well on my first... guess it evened out.

Reactions: Alpha Male
#23 ·
3 words for buying/selling used bikes, craigslist and Ben Franklins. 11 really nice sportbikes I've flipped in the last 3 years and I have yet to lose money. Started with a 500 basket case and bought a 14 1krr yesterday 1 year old, 700 miles for half the sticker price in cash.

#26 ·
Yeah simple economics. Selling to a dealer your aren't going to get what it's worth because they are planning on reselling it right away. But sell it your self privately and you'll get way more because you are mostly likely selling the bike to someone that is going to ride it right away. Dealerships aren't buying your bike to to ride only to resell.

#28 ·
Do you actually believe that all Honda dealers in the world conspire to price fix? :th_SmlyROFL:

FYI, there's a big difference between trade-in value and retail value for almost every type of vehicle. Dealerships have lots of overhead and have to make a profit to stay afloat.

#29 ·
Hey guys I have now accepted I am going to get jacked by dealers when it comes to trade or purchase out right :(

Our CBR600RR had just dropped $500 on trade in value - they offered me 4 weeks ago $8500 now that i am ready to purchase the new 2015 CBR1000RR they said my bike is only worth $8000 as a trade because it is ugly and they are having problem trying to sell their new ones.

Anyway I have decided I am going to get a new 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R 30th Anniversary for her because it has all the electronics ride modes traction controls and abs furthermore it is the bike she had always wanted.

Ok guys good bye all I wont be back to this forum because we are no longer in the market to purchase Honda.

Thanks for your replies by the way wow the 2015 CBR1000RR in red is dang sexy and the handle bars are much wider this year too dont know what good a wider handle bar does though :(

#30 ·
Enjoy that beast, be safe

#32 ·
...Ok guys good bye all I wont be back to this forum because we are no longer in the market to purchase Honda.
....Well.....bye !!!!!!
Enjoy your new purchase and good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.