Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2015 Literbike Shootout...New King?

42K views 287 replies 54 participants last post by  spartan andy 
#1 ·

#2 ·
Sucks the SP did so bad but I figured it would since we haven't had a power increase since the 08 body started..

#3 ·
Not quite the ugliest girl at the dance but at least the CBR got invited. I figured the R1 would be one up on the BMW this year - it's just too good of a package and that's a pity about the 1299 being so uncomfortable. I had high hopes for that bike as well. Something tells me that the lap times at Jerez had more to do with how the bikes are geared from the factory than really that there's that much difference in the top 3 or 4 bikes.

One question I haven't seen answered yet is about the HP numbers MCN is reporting. I haven't seen them say if that's rear wheel HP or if they're computing crankshaft power from the dyno pull. 196 RWHP for the BMW and Duc would be a huge step up over last year. The pre'15 S1000RR dynos at about 180 rwhp.

#5 ·
Not quite the ugliest girl at the dance but at least the CBR got invited.
I'm sick of your CBR bashing around here.
You have no class. It's the same thing if I went on a BMW forum and constantly talked shit about those bikes,
and how much better my CBR was.

It's called: TROLLING. And it makes you look like a jerk.

If you can't say anything nice about Honda, or the CBR, why don't you leave this forum.

I hate Harley Davidsons. But I don't post that on a Harley Davidson forum.
You constantly post negative comments about Honda and the CBR on a CBR forum.
I'm getting sick of it.

:th_down:

#4 ·
Yeah the r1 is doing whatvwe expected it to do. Im surprised with the bmw's performance. The platform seems to be a step uo from last year's and i would expect it to be higher up in terms of laptimes. I guess we we will have to wait for all the other shootouts to see if there is a pattern.

Im happy to see that the r1 is living up to the hype. Thats what i kinda expected from the pani when it was first released but it came kinda short from it.

Nice job yamaha!

#11 ·
There are guys whining over on the S1000RR forum right now because the R1 was crowned by one particular publication.
Yea and I'm lovin it, hope the R1 gets a clean sweep of all the shootouts and the BM boys start jumpin ship!

#12 ·
The R1 is the bike I've been waiting for, true it doesn't have the Beemers raw HP numbers but it appears to be close and scores well in all categories. Still one track, results may vary once they hit a different circuit but you'd think Jerez would play to the BMW's strong points. I was surprised how fast the ZX-10R was, that's a five year old platform.

#18 ·
I joined this forum cause the people are great here...From my experiance reading other bike forums this one has life versus the others..This place actually help people out with issues about their bikes and not be a dick about it...Another forum i also like is the r1 forum,the rest not so much...Long story short you will always have brand junkies,haters,and bmw squids that has to have the h.p king bikes to compensate for their small manhood and hate on others...Be happy for a great forum!!!

#20 ·
We're all here because we own a CBR1000RR or in some cases more than one, not bashing anything just want to see Honda (and Suzuki) get off their butts and build the bike we all know that they can. Every other manufacturer has stepped up to the plate and is offering a lot more than Honda, the 1KRR is still relevant and a decent road machine, no one argues that, but the game has clearly moved on and it's now far from the cutting edge.

Reactions: DPFAFF
#25 ·
I am not sticking up for the BMW just because i just bought one but because some facts need to be said. The test was done on a 190 rear tire. They used the forged wheels on the bmw which call for a 200 tire. In the book it clearly says to have the dealer flash the bike to adjust the TC for the 190 on 200 rim. Im not sure how much that matters but when at the top level of riding im sure it makes a difference. I would like to see both the R1M and the base BMW's times. The R1M having an electronic suspension like the BMW that was tested or a base BMW like the r1 was tested.

Also the guys that did this test favor the biggest change/newest electronics. They put the R1 at the top in 09 when it came out saying that it felt like a 600 (and thats a joke).

This test is very much based upon their opinion. I bought my bike because i liked it. I paid my money before even a review was out. I knew the last bmw bike was good and this new one had what i liked so i went with it. If honda had a new bike out this year i most likely would have stayed with them as im a huge fan of all honda.

These test need to be taken as an opinion- R1 is most likely the clear winner for the track. Its new tec and design scream track. The BMW is the king of the street. The DUC is for the guy needing something special. The honda is just a damn good bike thats still raw. The ninja is there and is a nice bike. the GSXR is an option as well. BUy what you like because you wont ride it like its meant anyway.

#26 ·
I put 200 miles on the s1000rr on Sunday going to and from all my family's Easter stuff. The CC and heated grips made it a very nice ride even tho it was kinda chilly and very windy. On saturday i put almost 50 miles on my wifes grom just smashing around town. The bike that best fits your needs is the bike of the year

#27 ·
Well be happy with what you got,there's a lot of people wished they could have one.I been fortunate in life from owning motocross bikes and street...Only thing is finding a good women who understands my obsession...Funny how women BITCH about spending more time on the bike than them lol....

#30 ·
OK here's my take on my '12 CBR1000RR, first off great midrange power, 150 HP is more than enough on the street and Honda nailed the gearing, the bike is hard to best up to about 140 mph which is plenty fast. Brakes are good, great modulation and power. Build quality is typical Honda, excellent. Now the bad, I don't like the way this bike handles at the limit. Stock suspension never feels settled and it rides too high in the front like they missed the mark on setting up the BPF forks. Turn in is slow with top heavy feel and my front end is sketchy which saps confidence in the corners. Now I'm comparing to my ZedX10R and ZedX6R both stellar handlers which give loads of confidence to just throw it in. I did back to back rides over the same twisty roads this afternoon on the CBR and my '06 ZX14, the CBR was scaring me to death in the corners, the big ZX was railing the turns. OK maybe I got a dud or need a lot of setup to get my '12 tracking right but it should be closer out of the box.
My first step is to get rid of these S20s, I just don't trust them, maybe they've gone off. Once I get some better rubber on there and a 190/55 to get a little more ride height in the rear it will settle down but at least for now, this is my least favorite bike, actually prefer my old '07. Not trying to throw rocks just my honest evaluation as things stand right now. Stay tuned, I'm going to finish off the S20s and re-evaluate the handling with fresh rubber on there.

#33 ·
Found it, here's from their 2012 liter shootout:

The primary reason for the Honda falling behind the Suzuki is a vague feel from the new Showa BPF fork through faster sweepers (a likely result of the bike’s soft rear spring).
**Test Notes
Honda CBR1000RR
** + Extremely balanced chassis
+ Great midrange power
– Power falls off up top
– Abrupt throttle response
x Just a few suspension changes away from a top three finish
**Suggested Suspension Settings
** Front: Spring preload — 5 turns in from full soft; rebound damping — 2.5 turns out from full stiff; compression damping — 3.625 turns out from full stiff; ride height — 0mm showing above top triple clamp
Rear: Rebound damping — 2.25 turns out from full stiff; compression damping — 2.5 turns out from full stiff

#36 ·
The R1 is an awesome machine, great technology and ill bet a reliable machine. I'm glad Yamaha stepped up to take the top spot and shut up all the Euro riders ( Ducs and Bmw riders specifically ) who tell me Japanese bikes just don't have that " feeling " " personality " or " soul ". It also kills me when they tell me how much crap Japanese bikes are ( cheap ) hmmmm. so tell me 1199 owner, why did you have to have your front forks rebuilt only after 2000 miles? wow, how about all those various oil leaks? oh ok the CBR is crap because it doesn't sit in a shop bay? Ok cool that Duc is a beautiful bike.

#37 ·
The R1 is an awesome machine. I'm glad Yamaha stepped up to take the top spot and shut up all the Euro riders ( Ducs and Bmw riders ) who tell me Japanese bikes just don't have that " feeling " " personality " or " soul ". It also kills me when they tell me how much crap Japanese bikes are ( cheap ) hmmmm. so tell me 1199 owner, why did you have to have your front forks rebuilt only after 2000 miles? wow, how about all those various oil leaks? oh ok the CBR is crap because it doesn't sit in a shop bay? Ok cool that Duc is a beautiful bike.
:th_SmlyROFL: +1 bro........ A lot of sh!t talk about Honda but it's the most reliable bike on the planet and IMO the king of the street bikes. Don't even get me started about racing......... How are the beemers doing in MotoGP, oh yeah they don't compete. And the Duc are given handicaps. Nuff said.

#39 ·
Someone may have said this but in that video didn't the Kawi and Suzook have aftermarket exhausts on them? Love the R1 and would get if I didn't have a bike now.

Oh and as a side note, got a nice ride in this past weekend and had a blast! I love my 12', it has plenty of power and handles great. Don't see a reason to get anything else. When I was younger I always wanted the next fastest thing even though I couldn't ride it like a pro. Maybe that I'm older now I am more content with what I have and am very thankful for it.

#41 ·
Motorcyclist is reporting 168hp to the wheel. This just seems to confirm how good the damn package must be. I actually like the previous r1 crossplane a lot. I did not like the bike package all that much but i felt like the engine (although underpowered) was great.

I think the pani and bmw will put down a solid 15-20hp on top of the r1, but laptimes and not hp is what distinguishes a bike for me.

#42 ·
Not for long apparently, the R1 is right at 170 to the rear wheel with 183 available with a simple flash and stock exhaust like a ZX-10R on steroids.
Right there with BMW and Panigale and there's more to be had with a full Akra and PC5. Move over BMW!

#43 ·
The handling and TC is in another class, this bike should reign for a few years. Honda and Suzuki, time to man up or be left behind.

#44 ·
Well i have seen charts from 2015 beemers and panis showing 190+ to the wheel. It seems like power wise the euros have a 15-20hp advantage. That being said, the fact that as for now the r1is the undisputed track queen speaks volumes about the quality of the package.

Im going to get ahead some, and remind those who did not know it, that the cbr has the most midrange lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.