Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

'08-'11 vs. '12-'13 vs. '14-'15

31K views 148 replies 27 participants last post by  Kruz 
#1 ·
Hello,
newb on these forums. I am considering a cbr1000rr and understand the ergos changed a bit between the '08-'13 and '14-'15. Has anyone had or ridden both styles that can compare and contrast?

also, I understand '12-'13 has the BPF added for the front end. how does that compare and contrast to the previous '08-'12, if you have had or ridden both? I know I appreciate the BPF on my ZX6R, at least compared to previous bikes.

Obviously I am open to used and new bikes, so any input is very appreciated. I am trying like hell to avoid putting down the cash for a '15 BMW S1000RR (that is a LOT of money for a bike) and I think the CBR1000RR might be my only savior. I have yet to ride one, but am trying to do as much research as possible ahead of time so I target the correct year bike, or at least the one that might make the most sense to me and I do not piss off a bunch of dealers by riding their bikes and not buying from them.

Thanks for any input!

#2 ·
Why do you want a `15 BMW? And when you say "a LOT of money", did you get a OTD price from a dealer?
If so... how much did they want for it?

The difference between a 12-13 vs 14-15 CBR is so slight you probably wouldn't even notice.
Pick a color scheme you like, and look for the best deal.
If you plan to buy a used one, avoid the 08-09 models. ( oil burners )
2006-2007 models are good, if you can find a good deal on a lightly used one.

2010-2011 models are pretty rare to find, but they are okay if you don't mind the flat nose and squiggly headlights.

Again, it's whatever you want, and whatever you are willing to pay for it.
Are you going to track it, or just use it on the street? Daily driver? Weekend warrior?

The new BMW is full of electronics. The CBR has none of that.
Do you care about that?

#3 ·
the bmw is like the cbr but more. I had an 08 cbr 1000rr and loved it. I now have a 15 bmw and glad i do. It is a wonderful bike. If you can pay for it get the bmw. expect to pay 17-22K. If that amount of cash is to much get the honda any year as long as its not an oil burner.

#4 ·
Engine performance nothing, no difference from 08-15

#5 ·
thx so far. to answer some of the questions:

who doesn't want a BMW s1000rr?

I know the BMW is full of electronics and technology. it appeals to me, but then there is the price. the cost of the bike with equipment I would want is about 18K, then tax etc.

I have ridden the s1000rr twice and the s1000r once - to see if I could get away with the r since it is a lower price. I don't really like the feel much (I could get used to it I am sure) and the limited steering lock surprised me. The S1000RR feels way better to me.

That said, $18K plus IS a lot of money for a bike. No matter how much I like the S1000RR I am not sure it is the prudent thing to do. I could save a lot of $$$ buying a used CBR1000RR and have enough left over to add Bazazz and a slip on and still keep money in the bank.

So I am asking what year CBR1000RR I might target and a comparison between the differing years. Would I feel the BPF addition in '12? Is the seating position different enough between '13 and '14 that it is noticeable? other mechanical issues that might be noticeable such as the oil burning mentioned above? significant power issues between the different model years? especially low to mid range torque? I also thought (easily wrong) that the 08-11 models were all the same physically (referral to the blunt nose above - thought they all had that) and the blunt nose has carried through to this year as well?

I ride specifically on the street, daily driver and weekends when I can get out, while I would love to get some track days in it has just not worked out. I probably put what most consider a lot of miles on my bikes. My '09 ZX6R has 40K miles on it. SoCal weather helps a bit with that.

Thx all!

#10 ·
I know the BMW is full of electronics and technology. it appeals to me, but then there is the price. the cost of the bike with equipment I would want is about 18K, then tax etc.
Woohoo. Yeah, that is certainly way up there.
Getting into Ducati Panigale territory at that price!

18k OTD is also what you can expect to pay for a new 2015 Yamaha R1.

If you shop around, you can pick up a new leftover CBR1000RR for around 12k.

HUGE price difference. Very nice savings.
Call Honda dealers in your area, and see if you can find any 2013's sitting around the showroom floors.
Work a deal for one of those, and you would be hooked up! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Simply put, if mainly you ride street the blade is the best hands down, its up to you what year you want. Honda has always been known for their fantastic mid range punch. If you are looking for out right power, not the blade.

Reactions: 2lasts
#7 · (Edited)
thx Frankie, I ride almost exclusively street. I find the BMW quite comfortable and I have read it compares to the CBR1000RR.

and I almost forgot: ABS or not? and reason for recommendation?

oh, and to clarify a question I wrote ealier "Who doesn't want a S1000RR?", well after perusing the forums a bit more I know NyteStalk3r does not! :)

I am sure there are a few others as well. ;)

#8 ·
I wish you could ride someone's 12 or 13. Honda beats everyone's midrange, besides maybe the the ktm rc - 8. The Honda is more comfortable for the street. My 13 has a slightly more comfy seat than my 10 did, and is a little more refined. My 10 had abs which was nice, but sometimes in the summer they would malfunction in stop and go traffic. Seems temp related cause it never happened in cooler temps, just 100+ days. So my 13 has no abs.
Comparing the front forks, seems like 8-10 were more comfy on street, 12+on track. I can't even notice anymore though, the difference is small. With the issues the 08-10 had, i would shoot for an 11 or up. The 12 and 13 are the same bike.
As for the 14+ I've only sat on one, I'd say the 12 13 are more comfy for the street. 14 more aggressive for track, like the 07 06.
Compared to the new bmw, idk. My only experience is racing against one at the drags, my 10cbr vs. His 12 bmw. his best time was my worst: 10.6, my best time was 10.2 . We both just had slip ons. Same as my friends zx10r, rsv4, r1, and the gsx-r. All can't touch the Honda midrange.
I honestly wouldn't want a bmw, to go from a $12k bike to an $18k and downgrade my drag racing power, would feel insanely stupid. I'm not trying to bash anyone's bike, but I've ridden all, except the ktm. By the time you reach that mighty 200bhp, you have to shift and spend the bulk of your time in the midrange.
I would recommend a 12 or 13 cbr with no abs. The midrange, comfort and sweet handling are a great all around package for cheap. Plus, you get a bazzaz, slip on, zbomb, self mapper, you'll get the top end power too.

#11 ·
I snagged a "leftover" 2014 for $10,999 in San Gabriel, CA. It took a little bit to set in, but I'm growing quite fond of my new blade. It was hard at first because after I pulled the trigger, my eyes really opened to everything the Honda doesn't have. At the same time, however, riding the bike reminds me of the exact reason I bought it: a pure riding experience.

The Honda is a like a blank slate when you buy it; leave as is, or take it in any direction with any combination of parts or mods. She can be anything you want her to be ;)

Also, I hope it's not just me, but I think the current year blade looks mean as hell. It has a look all its own; very sleek, great lines.

#15 ·
The Honda is a like a blank slate when you buy it; leave as is, or take it in any direction with any combination of parts or mods. She can be anything you want her to be ;)
Except pure power lol

#12 ·
there is a great deal on a '14, but it is white and I do not like it much. could I live with it, yeah. there is another dealer advertising that they are dealing on a new '13. but I think I like the looks of the 2 2011 bikes I have found - one red and one repsol. also found a couple used S1000RR's, but I would still be able to get either of the '11's and add some Bazzaz bits and have far more technology that I have ever had on a bike and be less than the BMWs. just no BPF.

tomorrow I should be able to go ride one of the '11's and then we will see if I still think I want a S1000RR.

thx for all the replies, especially you Jammin (not to slight anyone else!) - exactly what I was looking for!

#20 ·
glad you mentioned that forum, thats why Honda dominates in drag right? You need HP to drag, and Honda simply doesnt have it. You cant argue, its pointless. They have no top end at all. Since you want to believe what forums say, go ask and see if Honda can compete, they just cant.

#24 ·
Hey if your happy thats great, but its not. A stock 04 zx10 puts out roughly lets say 157, and it absolutely destroys any year of our bikes. So yes your bike is not putting down those numbers

#25 ·
our bikes put down great midrange, but true peak HP, we are so far behind its not even funny

#27 ·
Really happy to hear, i felt i should take a few minutes and tell you my experience. Now, definitely check them all out, the 11's are great bikes. Pick the bike that tickles your fancy most, we're not here long on this earth so get the one you really like! We owe no allegiance to any company that makes there money off of us, but i simply have not been put up against a better bike. When someone comes along with a better bike, I'll probably have to switch. But it's definitely not today. ?

#29 ·
I agree, Honda is a far superior bike than the rest no doubt about it. In my earlier posts I stated we are down on power, its no secret, but for most of us not including me, peak HP isnt the main factor. Honda is an all around top notch bike, from build to ergos, style. I drag my bike even though its slow, why I drag my Honda, because I am a fan, but im also realistic. Call it being an underdog lol

Reactions: Jamin466
#31 ·
You can look at WSBK to see that the Fireblade is slightly behind in terms of power.
Jonathan Rea switched from the CBR to the ZX-10R this year. He is doing better.
On the CBR, he was always finishing 5th and 6th.
Rea is a world-class top rider. He was certainly getting the most out of that CBR, but it just didn't have enough
to consistently get on the podium. The Kawasaki and Aprilia bikes had the edge.

Of course, this is TRACK we are talking about.
If you only ride on the street, ANY of these bikes are overkill. Including our 155hp Fireblades.

Not ONCE, have I ever ridden my Fireblade on the street, and wished I had more power.
NOT ONCE.
At no time, did I ever NEED more power. The idea that I would somehow need 180hp because my 155hp
isn't getting the job done, is laughable to me.

I get the feeling the "HP war" is more about "bragging rights" than anything else.
And I don't need to brag. I ride to have fun and relax. Life is too short.
I have more fun on the twisties than I do going fast in a straight line.

#34 ·
The lack of top-end power in our CBR's probably has something to do with the cylinder head ports/profiles, and the cam choice.

Honda most likely engineered our engines for strong mid-range, and nicer street manners.
Is this a bad thing? Not to me. I like it just fine.

If I wanted a bike to drag race with, I wouldn't choose a CBR1kRR.
I would want a bike with strong top-end, a super strong clutch, and some kind of wheelie/launch control.
I would change the gearing, add some sticky tires, and go play.

The CBR is not a one-trick pony. It's a nice well-rounded, refined, reliable literbike for the streets.
If this is what you want, then you will be happy. As I am.

Buy the right tool for the job. Plain and simple.

#36 ·
Blah blah blah... You can build any bike to put out any HP numbers you want. It's all about how ambitious you are and how deep you want to dig into your pockets. I will one day build a 200 WHP 12 CBR1K. Will I be able to make use of it. Absolutely not but I'll be able to say I built it.

#38 ·
At any rate, that's not the main issue. The issue is, does this man buy one of these bikes we obviously have tons of experience with, or shoot for the new bmw. Doing roll ons on the highway, powering out of turns and drag racing at nearly stock, the cbr's midrange is awesome.

#39 ·
geez, hopefully this remains friendly banter and does not turn into a forum war!

so like I said I ride primarily, and currently only, on the street, I do not need (and I realize it) the HP of the BMW, R1, etc. I DO want more power than my current ZX6R. I do not care if the bike I get has more or less power than the other liter bikes, I am not sure it will ever matter to me, I am already in my 50's and it takes time, money and more to be able to get on a track enough to get that good.

so, i rode one of the '11 1KRR's today. it is as some have stated - almost like a BMW minus the electronics and the major power. it felt very good. the front end felt quite good in comparison with my ZX6R BPF, maybe a bit more adjustment and it can be even better. it is a more comfortable riding position than my ZX6R, which really says a lot I think. very manueverable, turns nicely at speed and in the parking lot. it does have a two bros (I have heard they are not the best) slip on, which i found a bit too loud. if i get this bike i will probably get the silencer insert two bros sells or swap it entirely for an akrapovic or yosh setup. it does look good though. this bike is a repsol paint scheme, which i used to think was gaudy but it is really growing on me.

needless to say i made my decision to get a cbr1krr. i will save money on the purchase and most likely on insurance as well. i will be trying to work a deal on this bike over the next couple of days. it has only 4900 miles.

side note: the owner of the bike works at the dealer (it is on consignment) and happened to be there when i went in to look at/ride it. you can tell he doted over the bike, he gushed about it even though he is selling it because he just got an rsv4.

i will also still look around and see what else is available.

more advice still welcome of course! thx all!

#41 ·
so still a question or two. I do need to figure out the '11 vs '13 question. one thing going for the '13's I have found is they are new, so qualify for the Honda Bonus Bucks. I KNOW the dealers are going to say the advertised price includes the incentive, but I also know it is not 'legal' for them to do that. so I might be able to force them into honoring their advertised price and get the $1500 Bonus Bucks (slip on? I also need new boots).

the price of the used '11 Repsol bike is the same that the dealer (about 70 miles away from me) is advertising for a new tri-color "Captain America" '13.

thoughts on a somewhat modified '11 with 4900 miles vs. a '13 stock but new bike?

#42 ·
Well, first off, Glad you got try the 11! It is an awesome bike. 2 bros is a little loud and open. There is the px1 tip to help out. Honestly if you ride mostly Street and maybe someday get to hit the track, the 11's forks will be absolutely wonderful: I've put down a faster lap on my 10 than i did my 13, but I've only had one track day on my 13. Only thing is, you should see the 13 in person, if you don't care about the look and the cluster, then screw it, stick with the 11. But it wouldn't hurt to pit them against each other and get the best deal. Maybe let both dealers know your still deciding, meantime see which you like. Don't rush if you can help it. ? and the 13 is a bit more refined, but explain the color. The 13 if i remember correct had the white with blue and red kind of streaked in a line.
And for the same money, maybe pull up some you tube videos on exhuasts to see what sounds good to you, yoshi, leo, akra, several good ones out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.