Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

My old neck

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  max2010 
#1 ·
OKay....so I am kinda sorta old (ish). I lost my CB900 to a deer hit and ended up getting a '07 1000. I love the thing but I am no spring chicken anymore.

The big thing is my neck when I ride. I am not used to the whole slightly bending down thing and turning my head up.

Any thoughts or suggestions on neck 'annoyance' when one rides?

#3 · (Edited)
I am probably much older and with a worse neck, and know what you are saying.

My 2010 that I sold did not hurt my neck too much, but it seemed like a lot of work to hold the full coverage helmet up to see, and the peripheral was very difficult to head check for a lane change.

The bike had me all grins the first 20 miles though, but then after that it was nothing but work. Fun...work of course....can't believe that I want another one.

"And the offer still stands." John 3:16

#4 ·
I have a VTX1800 that I put risers on...and that helped. I guess I didnt think that there would be risers avail for this one.

Can someone point me to what to get? I am a fish out of water with this bike....I just dont know what options are out there for this thing. I dont feel the need to to many mods to it....but when it comes to my comfort level, I am all about that.

So...riser suggestions that wont break the bank?

#7 ·
I installed a Spiegler conversion kit. Best money I ever spent. Raises the bars up 4-5 inches and back 4-5 inches. Makes a world of difference. I bought a used kit off a member on this forum. I have about 350.00 into mine versus 600.00 for brand new. Now it gives me a place to mount my radar detector. I will post some pics tonight

#10 ·
A light weight helmet has done wonders for me. My neck was always the first thing to start aching. Now zero problems. Once you get used to a 3lbs helmet you will wonder how you ever rode without it.

#11 ·
I'm 63 and I've got scoliosis in my upper back/neck so I know neck/shoulder pain. When I had only sportbikes (an RC51 and the CBR) I would get sore right after winter, but the more I rode the pain and discomfort went away and I got used to it.

#12 ·
Yep, the cure is to ride, when I got my first liter bike, everything hurt, neck, lowerback and especially knees. That was years ago, riding builds up all of the muscle groups and it get's better over time.

Another thing, get to the gym, the pros do it and they're young guys but it gives them an edge. If you can build up the supporting neck muscles it will go a long way towards reducing the discomfort.

#14 ·
I wear an Arai, but do not know the weight off hand. I was not compaining, only explaining.

If I get another sport bike, I will not put risers on it. If I want to sit upright, which I may, I will just buy one of the great naked bikes out there today, or keep riding one of the 2 Goldwings and the X.

I agree on feeling better while riding. I have told my wife several times how much better my neck feels when I ride. All that movement is like therapy.

I have worked out since high school and am 64. Thanks to God I am within 5 pounds of what I weighed 46 years ago. More muscle now.....hey it is my story.

#15 ·
Off topic......
Im balooning like hot air baloon.
Was 160 in college and now another 100 is on me :D.

Back is hurt when working but not when riding. So thats a plus regarding riding

Oh yeah. The .ore you put ride time on the bike. Your body will get used to it and soreness will be gone.....most cases.

#16 ·
Well...I have been losing a bit of weight as of late. Weighed 204..now weigh around 190. So I am getting there....if I could lose another 10...I would be cool.

I have a Shoei helmet. NOt sure how much it weighs, but its a moot point for I just got it.....I think the wife would kill me if I said I wanted to go out and buy a lighter helmet.

I would love to get risers, but for this bike....the cost is way more than I expected. Heck, I bought a nice set for my VTX and I think they cost $80. I am not paying a few hundred for risers.

Hopefully the more I ride...all will get a bit better. Its just a neck thing for now. Its not terrible by any means...but I do hope it strengthens up a bit taking away the slight stiffness when I ride.

#18 ·
I a 45 and had many neck surgeries , I ride 08 1000rr my suggestion is to get the lightest helmet and a neck brace !!! your wrists are going to ache but after a few months your body will get the hang of the new riding position ... I figure when I cant walk anymore I will stop riding but then again I will get a built wheelchair and still hit the back roads lol

#20 ·
After recently spending 18 days pedaling a road bicycle coast-to-coast the riding position of my CBR does not bother me in the least. :)

Anyway, for that last adventure I worked my way up to 50 push-ups and 100 sit-ups per day in the months prior to it to build up my neck muscles, among other things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.