Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Bike feels weird during rides

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Pattric 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 2007 cbr 1000RR that I've owned for about 5 months now. When I purchased the bike the tires were cupped from the previous owner riding it with low tire pressure and it was worn in a way that the left side of the tires were worn more than the right side, so when riding the bike in straight line it felt tilted to the left. I rode it this way home to atlanta georgia from south carolina and the next morning I took the bike to the dealership and had them install new tires wheel balance etc. It rode ok for a little while, after a few days I started noticing that the bike would still lean to the left when going straight when I removed my hands from the bars it would track straight. The bike leaning to the left is extremely minimal however enough to notice. So I decided to take the bike to GMD computrack where they measured the frame and the technician informed me it was off by a few degrees but it was within spec. He continued to explain that bikes come from the factory with specs similar to mine that there is a certain acceptance of error ratio and that my bike was well within that spec. Well I wanted it to be as right as possible so I had them blueprint the bike and true out the frame costing me $1600. When I picked the bike up they had heated the inside of the frame done the corrections on the frame machine adjusted the forks and rear wheel. He told me if I feel anything at all after this that its all in my head. Well a few months later and it still feels like its leaning to the left when going straight, it's driving me insane does anyone have any input as to why it might feel like this or what else I can do to correct this issue? Thanks in advance

See less See more
#4 ·
TedBear is correct, if you mostly ride 2 lane roads the right hand lane falls off to the right, so you need to lean a few degrees left to counter it. If you look at the tire once it's done you'll notice the very center isn't what is warn out, its usually an inch or so to the left of center. If you still think it is out, check the forks, they bend fairly easily in a crash. The frame may be straight, but the forks are easy to bend on these bikes. You can do this yourself, you just need some vblocks (you can make these if you want to) and a runout guage. You'll need to take the forks apart because you cannot tell if the inner tube bent until you do. Outer tubes can be measured as is. 4/1000" or so is what your looking to be under for "true" forks. If they are more than, >~10, the fork is bent.

"It's all in your head" is a pretty convenient excuse for "you have no way to validate the work we did".

Reactions: STRteg
#5 ·
Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket?? One of my friends was always leaning off center, we finally talked him into moving his wallet after he saw a video of how much it actually affected his body position. Just a thought anyways

Also if your back wheel isn't centered that may cause what you are feeling, the marks on the swing arm aren't always exact, supposedly, I've measured every bike ive had and they were all nuts on.

also all street bikes will wear the left side of the tread faster partly because of the crown of the road but mostly because left hand turns are generally longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.