Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

rode the s1000rr

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Desarro 
#1 ·
rode my buddies s1000rr.. really ruined the way i look at my cbr 1000rr now :( thing is an animal. Will see what happens with the 1000rr for 2016 or else i might be switching over... anyone else feel this way?

#2 ·
The way I look at it is Yes the bmw is a monster of a bike But regular maintenance is expensive. When me and my girl bought our charger we were looking at a Audi. The maintenance alone on the Audi was the reason we went with dodge. So unless you make hella money just take a ponder that. But they are basass bike. I would at least wait until the new cbr and gsxr and zx10 comes out. In the next 2 years all bikes will be 200 hp beast.

#3 ·
I'm new to Honda (and these forums), but coming from 20+ years of riding BMW's I went full stop the other way from where your head is and am picking up a CBR1000RR tomorrow. While It's true the BMW is an expensive bike to maintain for sure, the regular maintenance is 2X the Honda on a good day, at these price points I can't see that being the focal point of the decision.

Both have well deserved reputations for running for ages and the resell value is in line. Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either bike at this point. I'm not racing for a living, just riding what I enjoy (or getting from point A to point B sometimes).

else i might be switching over... anyone else feel this way?
As a long time BMW rider moving the other direction, I can tell you that not everybody feels this way ;)

#5 ·
What is your intentions. As mentioned do your maintenance yourself. Are they comparable bikes not even in the same realm. Cmon don't be little the bmw lol.

#6 ·
Hell if you can grab the bmw I would be all over that. Of you liked it that's all that matters. Why buy something because what someone's says here. Go to a bmw forum and see what they have to say. Honda these days are considered a turd. Not even mentioned as a top contender. I still love my 06 lol

#7 ·
I had a 08 CBR1K then I bought a 14 S1000RR. my bmw was stolen, but it spoiled me. They set the bar very high, easy to live with daily, and the repair cost aren't much more than the Honda. My next bike will be a BMW again if Honda doesn't wow me with a new bike. I wasn't a bmw fan before, but I am now.

#8 ·
You can't compare a 1000rr to an s1000rr.. That bike is thousands of $$$ more, it has every electronic setup while the car has no rider assists.. That's like comparing a z06 to a piece of shit Camaro ss

#9 ·
Your right there is no comparison. And you can't compare kawi and yami and Duc to Honda as well. They all blow Honda away. Even the zuk beats big red

#10 ·
A question for you guys that think the BMW is expensive to maintain - you're aware that the BMW comes with a 3 year warranty, right? Even Ducati is only 2 years and for Honda, the "most reliable brand" to offer only a 1 year warranty is just crapping on it's faithful customers. And the only reason the Honda sells for significantly less is because it's not remotely competitive and won't hold it's resell like the BMW. When I bought my brand new '13 S1000RR in March of '14, I paid $13K for it - about $5K less than what I would have had to pay for the CBR1000RR SP at that time - that's for a bike with a one year warranty and no electronics. I know expensive when I see it and that deal sucked - so I bought the BMW. I've got 4,000 miles including track days on it now and other than oil/filter changes and tires I've spent exactly $0.00 on it. If you go buy a brand new CBR today, your warranty will run out 6 months before my bike that I've been riding for a year and a half.

#11 ·
Wow that's amazing really puts it in perspective. As I keep saying my next street bike will not be a Honda probably never again. I envy you that you get to ride such an amazing machine. A true art. Wow 3 yrs I'm still in shock about that.

#12 ·
Not sure what kind of maintenance you guys are talking about, but the ONLY things that my Honda or any bike for that matter only required...
Oil/Filter, Air Filter, tires, brakes, chain and sprockets. What the hell are you doing to the bike if you require anything other than this??? And that's 52,000 miles worth on my '08.

#17 ·
they are a great bike for what they are, but to say they are the best bike your only fooling yourself. Everyone is waiting for Honda to step up year after year only to be let down. Do I think they are in the bottom of the big 4? Yes yes I do.

Reactions: Desarro
#20 ·
I've owned many a new BMW, and FWIW, the various services they "suggest" include a first service at 600 miles which will run you about 200 bucks, then a 10K or 16K, which is a bit more, about 450 or so if memory serves. I don't remember exactly as it's been a long time since I bought a new one, but I'm pretty certain these suggested services are actually required to keep the warranty valid.

Don't get me wrong, BMW's are phenomenal machines, and I rode them for 20 years (and still own a classic 74 R75/6) so trust me when I say I'm not bashing on them. But I also wouldn't pretend they are not a bit more expensive to maintain unless you are doing everything yourself. As I'm not a mechanic and have to rely on the shop that was my situation so with both my K1200RS and K1300S that always meant dealer service and it was not inexpensive.

But... as we are talking about bikes from somewhere between 14K to 22K or more! The service fees really shouldn't be the deciding factor. Ride what you enjoy riding. I'm a HUGE BMW fan, to the point that when I told one of my old high school buddies about the CBR I picked up today he laughed for 20 minutes because he never thought I would buy ANYTHING except a BMW. I just really like the CBR though, and am very happy and back on two wheels. Could easily have done the S1000, or another K bike, but something about the fireblade was what made me get back on a bike after a few years away. There are some bits on the BMW that kind of blow me away technically (I mean, they really do know how to go the extra mile) but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Arguing about the warranty and the cost of service on either one of these bikes just seems odd to me, as they are both rock solid performers over the long haul and these are not exactly practical machines to begin with, they are freaking rockets. Yes, the BMW has outspeced the Honda at this point for sure, that argument is really pretty settled, but neither bike when sufficiently maintained should really need any major work in 1, 3 or even 5 years unless you get an honest to goodness jacked up ride, which likely will be sufficiently distinguished right quick.

#23 ·
[link]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVMOr7TIrc[/link]

This 10000RR doesn't have a chance against the S10000RR.
thats a huge understatement lol

#24 ·
How much power do you guys need? I use most of my riding efforts keeping my licence on the CBR. It's a bit easier on my VTR1000.
The CBR is a lovely engine. Good economy, smooth and flexable. From 4th gear at 60kmph to LOL (this means loss of licence) in one gear and what, 4 seconds or 5. The BMW scared me with the repair cost of the electronis after the warranty. The bits are worth next to nothing but are proprietary spares and they can charge what ever the need. It just boils down to how much money to you want to spend on a nice past time.
Cheers
Alf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.