Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Something is missing (plastics)

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  neocryte 
#1 · (Edited)
After completely loosing a fairing at high speed and finding many other plastics-related issues from the previous owner after taking it apart I decided to completely replace my plastics. After some issues with an aftermarket set I bought a higher quality aftermarket set. Before it even arrived I decided to bite the bullet and do it the right way. I ordered all Honda OEM replacement plastics from my dealer and had them replace pretty much everything, save the front tire hugger. I also had them replace the RAM air ducts because the previous owner chopped the old ones up doing some garbage HID kit install and had them taped together with electrical tape. I didn't get a brand new headlight assembly because I had just recently replaced it due to having to ditch the aforementioned HID headlights in favor of OEM, but the headlight assembly was an OEM part that was in good shape. The issue I am having now is that the front black pieces that go under the headlight assembly, as well as the front cowl, are not solidly linked together and have gaps. I have tried to show this in pictures, but it doesnt really photograph well. I feel like a part or several parts are missing, something that would join them all together and pull them in tight to the headlight assembly.

Here is the best I can do with a photo:

Another annoyance is that both fairings don't seem to line up with a retainer push pin that seems rather important to structural integrity. I cannot capture this is picture, but the push pin goes through a few other pieces, but where it looks like it should go into the fairing itself is about 3/4" off on both sides.

This is the pin I'm talking about, and the fairing hole is about 3/4" too far rearwards.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Even the oem bodywork is loose fitting in those areas. I could never get the original plastic to squeeze up tight (especially around the headlight) and just decided to live with it. If you really must eliminate any gaps, perhaps race bodywork is more your style? No headlights at all to worry about... :laugh:

#5 ·
This is actually comforting to hear. As long as it's not uncommon and doesn't cause issues I am fine with it. I just wanted to be sure that nothing was missing in there parts-wise. I can see why people do the 12-15 conversion though, much cleaner looking in that area. I do like the 08-11 more from a style point of view, however, so I'm not looking to change it. As for race bodywork, I would love to have two bikes and track this one, but for me it's just not possible. I actually don't even own a car, so..

The one thing I am still concerned about is the retainer push pin that doesnt seem to be lined up correctly with the fairing. Hopefully can get that figured out.

#6 ·
Thats exactly how my stuff has fit on all three of my CBR's . Just make sure the stuff is placed together correct (tabs in slots) and youll be fine. This is one of the things I hate about honda and their plastics and how they fit and go together . Some mad scientist came up with them .

#8 ·
It's good to know that fit up is a problem with even the OE pieces.

We reskinned an 04' w. chinese injection moulded bodywork and cussed the whole time.

Although the final results were pretty good. Subsequently, the bodywork seems too have taken a "set"

and comes apart and back together pretty good now.

#9 ·
OEM plastics are complete crap. They don't fit well, there are always gaps, etc. And taking them off/putting them on is just ridiculously complicated - literally origami. I have no idea why manufacturers don't just make OEM plastics similar to track bodywork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.