Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

New cbr1000rr fork oil leak?

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  motorcycle01 
#1 ·
2012 model left over that I bought last year, I saw some black circular marks on both forks that cleaned off during first few weeks of riding but last night I swear this on one of the forks (left)....bike has only about 1000 miles on it.

- I would have the nee bike to be taken apart to get this fixed in warranty. Are there any quick fixes?

- Could this be caused due to bike being 2012 and not being on the road until October 2015?

- should be getting both seals replaced if it's the seal?

See less See more
#2 ·
Some have had luck with a piece of film or thin plastic. Sometimes its just a piece of debris stuck in the seal. Given the bike is new, just replace the leaking seal. If its under warranty, they'll only replace whats necessary anyways

#3 ·
Thanks.

I doubt it's debris because the bike is pretty new, I just did the first oil change on it...I am thinking something to do with the bike being sitting at dealership since 2012 or 2011 and not being sold until end of 2015 (rubber drying out), is that possible?

Which makes me think if I should ask them to replace the other seal too even if I have to pay for it to avoid problems down the road with the other side. Am I just being paranoid?

#4 ·
It's possible, seals do dry over time. You can always ask if they'll do both, but don't be surprised if they say no

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Wipe it off with a paper towel. See if it comes back after a few miles of braking and accelerating hard enough to move through the stroke.

There is a fork seal cleaner tool that helps remove debris, which is usually the cause. It's cheap and easy to do.

Reactions: Thepfaff
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.