Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

strange cbr problem need help !

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  gm1992 
#1 ·
last month my bike stalled after it got hot like 104-105 C in stop and go traffic + the throttle got choppy(was holding it steady and the bike was doing 0 power and +50% power jumping ) and i got it "repaired" the shop said my air filter(K&N) was extremely full of bugs and my fuel filter was full of gunk and they cleaned it very well and the problem went away .. for a while that is and today after my road-trip 150km got in stop&go traffic the temp went up to 105 C and the bike was turning at 1k rpm and stalled after 5 min off i turned it back on and had a choppy throttle on off all of the time and no idea what is wrong with it . Will be going back to the shop but so far they checked the fuel pump its not that , they checked dont know how are they called in english transponders or something that give info to the camshaft they changed both of them but still the problem persists now next thing will be the ECU but will be e big problem coz it is a EU bike with HISS system.
Have a video clip of the behavior of the bike

The bike is bone stock except the K&N air filter
has 28 000 kms under the belt

Thanks in advance

See less See more
1 1
#4 ·
Surging idle while hot could be a lot of things. Vacuum leak, IAC valves clogged or sticky, throttle position sensor out of adjustment etc. Your going to have to start checking the easy stuff first. Also it sounds like a lot of whine from the motor but it might just be the video. You could check the CCT also.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
When I first got my 08, back in May of 08, it ran fine but randomly would just shut off. Just cruising up to a stop. I took it to the shop, they said it the fuel boiling because of the alcohol that in gasoline nowadays. I said bullshit, but took it home and rode it 4 or 5 times and it still did it, of course. But it got worse, fire it up cold at the house, go 3 miles down the road to fill up the tank, when I would leave the gas station it would spit, choke and puke for a couple seconds then be fine. An hour later just cruising through the twistys in 6th it would miss for a micro second every 10 to 15 minutes give or take. Took it back, told them I dont want the piece of shit. So they took it in to try and figure something out. Even the shop tech called and wanted to know exactly what it was doing. I told him the above situation and even after a two hour ride I would pull over to have a smoke or snack, go to take off and it would do it again. They had it for a couple weeks before they could get it to replicate what I said it was doing. The tech said he would take it to lunch etc, trying to get it to do it. Then one day they called and it did it for them, we were basicly high 5ing through the phone. So they waited on the so called "rep" to come to their shop, they said they hooked it up to some kind of computer and got a read out that show it spitting, choking, and puking, even though they couldnt hear it standing there. They ended up replacing from the throttle bodies up. Never did it again. Sorry for the long explaination. My 08 is a U.S. model. Still runs great, no smoke, no whine.

#7 ·
that sounds similar to my story , the sad part is there are a few cbr 1000rrs in my country and the dealer is bad i asked a week ago if they can hook up the ecu to a diagnostic computer and the answer was our computer got surged by lightning and is down and we have no idea when we will have a new one and now me and the mechanic which has alot of experience in cbr 1000rrs are doing the elimination game he changes parts i ride it all day long to see if it chokes and it is painfull to ride it in 30 deg celzius on purpose , on the up side got a tan

#6 ·
thanks will have them check out everything tomorrow but its not surging while idle it will chop the throttle like on off and it stalls sometimes it goes down after 30 mins sometimes after 3 days of 6 hour city riding extremly strange problem no one has seen such problem so far and the dash shows no error codes and as sudden as it goes into limp mode after 20 mins off it is back to normal hopefully it is not the ecu coz with the Hiss system would be tricky and expensive to sort out .

#8 ·
My bike wasnt surging, it was actually shutting off. When it would die coming to a stop, it would just quit running, Bam! No indication that it was coming. I didnt have to turn the key off or nothing It would start right back up no problem. And when they said they hooked it up to that computer I mentioned earlier, they couldnt here it cutting out, but they could see it on the computer screen and/or print out, so they say. Either way, I hope you get it figured out, its frustrating as hell. Especially for me for the simple fact, I didnt buy myself shit for 10 yrs, I got a kick ass paying job and bought it brand new, paid top dollar and all. Then economy went to hell in a hand basket and they were selling for $7000. I couldve save $4000 if I wouldve waited a few months........but then I might not have bought it. Good Luck.

#9 ·
thanks mate , but it is back to the elimination game coz i went to the honda dealership today their computer is still "down" and learned from a friend of mine there that there was no computer in the first place and that they were lying so i am forced to disasemble my friends 1000rr and swap my parts till we find the problem .Extremely frustrating especially after i learned to ride good i cant ride it , it might do the throtle chop in the twistys and i might be in the hospital .
My mechanic friend said we need to try the fuel pump again and if that is not it probably the ecu and it will take alot of work removing the ignition lock and ecu and putting them into my bike .

#12 ·
we checked them out they are still good tried the bike with new plugs the problem persists and the idle isnt surging it is choking hardly staying on and if you put it in 1rst and try to move it shuuts down on you plus the throttle is extremely choppy the bike is reacting like someone plugged the exhaust and the air intake very strange .

#11 ·
Not sure about the new ones but the older bikes are supposed to idle at 1200 rpm, so I'd kick the idle up a hair. Does it happen just at idle or all rpms. Id replace the k&n with an oem filter if I was you, the Honda filter flows plenty of air for your motor and aftermarket filters can cause weird running problems because they can actually create turbulence in the airbox.

#13 ·
Not sure about the new ones but the older bikes are supposed to idle at 1200 rpm, so I'd kick the idle up a hair. Does it happen just at idle or all rpms. Id replace the k&n with an oem filter if I was you, the Honda filter flows plenty of air for your motor and aftermarket filters can cause weird running problems because they can actually create turbulence in the air box.
it happens at idle and if you try to move the bike in first like i said it stalls like it is choking we checked the air filter too it is not it we pretty much checked everything the throttle sensors , bodies everything that is connected to the air and fuel mixture and the problem persists ... now all that is left is to try another fuel pump again and to try a new ECU which would cost around 500 eur used with ignition lock and still we would not be 100% sure .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.