Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

New info on 17 CBR1k

6K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  Bosarge22 
#1 ·
#4 ·
180 rwhp stock would be very respectable vs current 155ish.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Bosch electronics rather than using in-house Honda stuff.

Semi-active suspension seems like a gimmick, at least for the track... Maybe it's helpful on the street.

I hope the weight loss is not just in the street parts. Current Fireblade is pretty light/sharp in track form.

Reactions: Wannabe
#6 ·
Absolutely nothing new going on here. Through the headstock ram-air was done on the RC51 17 years ago, EC Ohlins is already on the Ducati's and BMW's and has been for years now and without upping the ante with some class leading power Honda will just once again give the poor loyal shmucks exactly what they don't want and they will lap it up like a thirsty dog with a bucket of anti-freeze.

#8 ·
"Honda have been losing at the power war for the past 10 years as their rivals have relentlessly boosted the bhp outputs from their bikes. While we still don’t expect the new Fireblade will be gifted with class-leading power, we do expect around 180bhp at the back wheel.

While this power figure isn’t going to trouble class leaders like the 195bhp BMW S1000RR and the 200bhp*
Kawasaki ZX-10R, it’s still going to be a tangible step forward over the 175bhp of the current bike, and with a rumoured weight loss of around 8kg the new bike will feel a lot lighter and livelier than ever before.*"

The article is a little confused on the projected hp of the new CBR. In the first paragraph they state it will have 180 bhp at the wheel (bhp is @ crank). It should read 180 rwhp. In the second paragraph it states that the current bike has 175 bhp (correct). As for the beemer and kaw those are crank numbers (bhp). So if the new CBR truly will have 180 @ the wheel then it will have around 205 bhp @ the crank, and it won't trouble the class leaders? WTF?

#20 ·
It is interesting that in reading the reports about the 2017 bikes, whenever the guys at Honda are being quoted they always try and reinforce the fact that the CBR1000RR was not meant to be a race bike. They refer to it many times as a "road bike" with comfort and refinement as its focus. To me it sounds like they are trying to make excuses for their poor performing machine compared to the competition. Also interesting that this "road bike" still carries the "RR" badge which I was under the impression stood for race replica. Perhaps I have been mistaken and it instead stands for "road recliner" or "relaxed ride". Honda seriously needs to stop beating around the bush with their sportbike line. It may not be where the $$$ is at business wise, but they sure as hell need to get some respect back from the industry and from enthusiasts. This new updated machine looks like Honda is once again not fully committed to the sportbike riding customer. I could be wrong though as we wont know how it stacks up against the competition until it actually gets tested. I personally think that Honda has given up fighting for market share in the 600cc and 1000cc sportbike world.

#21 ·
:th_SmlyROFL: They don't have to "fight" for anything. They are the sales leader in motorcycles and no one is close. As long as the $$ are rolling in they're just going to stay on their course. That's their plan, can't blame them. The other companies are adding the bells and whistles to try to boost business.

#23 ·
I personally like that fact the we don't have rider aids on the CBR. I'm not a pro racer, but learning how to hard brake without ABS, or learning how to work the throttle without traction control makes a better rider IMO.

So if the 2017 comes with electronic aids, I won't be surprised, just a bit turned off...

#24 ·
You can say that, but you would be wrong... The future is with electronic controls and the only way you will eventually end up with a bike that doesn't have those riders aids is if you are just riding around on an underpowered bike like the CBR1000RR has been for the last 16 years. It's way easier to control a 155rwhp bike without traction control than a 180 or 192 or in the case of the BMW S1000RR a 205rwhp bike without rider aids. In fact as the horsepower numbers start to hover around 200rwhp it is getting almost impossible to ride these bikes at all without those electronic gizmos keeping everything inline for us. So sure if you want to keep riding around on old shit with low horsepower numbers then by all means keep thinking that old school traction control (your right hand) is better, but those riders that have learned to work with the electronic traction control and use it to their advantage ultimately not only ride faster, but much safer as well.

I say that knowing all too well that OEM traction control is way too intrusive for proper racing use, but the introduction to it and the sophistication of it is something any serious rider needs to be accustomed to if they expect to become proficient at riding in the 21st century.

#28 ·
Yes yes, you street riders have it all figured out and people like myself that actually get paid to ride bikes know nothing. Carry on gents.

Oh and if you don't think tracton control wasn't being developed in the age of the 500's then well I guess that is no different than anything else on this thread...

#30 ·
No hard feelings bro. No doubt the next bike I get will be fully loaded with technology. And yes traction control will be one of the advancements on the bike. And to be honest, I didn't know they were developing traction control back in the day of the 2 smoke 500cc beast. But I guess you have to start development somewhere. Learn something everyday.

#29 ·
Sorry, that was bit harsh and uncalled for. I apologize and will leave you guys with just this thought.

You cannot stop advancements in technology as they are not just for our benefit or marketing ploys. They are being woven into the very fabric of our society. Our very governments are mandating this technology be available and in some cases mandatory. Embrace it or become a vintage collector.

#34 ·
When it gets to business reality so much comes back to the numbers. It costs huge $$$ to develop new products. There's the technology and then all the tooling before you even make one. Manufacturers calculate how many units they need to build to offset these costs. Lots of sales volume will help speed up further development but when it is slowing manufacturers can be reluctant to take a big gamble to risk something new. It's about return on investment and applies to any business. If less people are buying, then we gotta wait.

Food for thought: Asian motorcycle production lines can pump out 1000+ bikes PER DAY. I know of a large brand factory that runs 2 lines parallel, so their daily production output is 2,000+ bikes PER DAY.

For perspective, does anyone know what is the total global sales volume for 1000cc covering all brands year by year over the last 5-6 years? Am guessing it's in overall decline which explains the current situation.

#36 ·
Idk if I should take this article seriously. Everything seems promising until you notice the confusing claims in the article like capt.america was saying. It would be nice to see Honda come out with a bike that kicked ass in the power dept. and was known for it. But every manufacturer has their niche. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.