'08 mid fairing removal : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #1

'08 mid fairing removal

i recommend not doing it unless you're a very patient person. it's easier when you know how to do it, but it's still a pain in comparison the the previous models. the entire ram air portion has to come off with it. once the fairing is actually loose, you have to disconnect an electrical connector as well as a vacuum line. there's a panel on the inside that has to come off as well as the panel underneath the nose. not a fun affair, but if anyone is planning on tackling it, i can try to give some pointers. i was expecting it to be fairly simple like my '06, but not so much!

'08 1000rr candy red, custom undertail, flapper mod, reverse shift, z-bomb, Arrow carbon slip-on, 6000K HID kit.
'08 1000rr pearl white for the wife; custom undertail, flapper mod, crg levers, taylormade exhaust, 6000K HID kit.

www.louisville-sportbikes.com

www.louisvilleriders.com

www.sportbikefunnies.com
spoolin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
SV Racer

Thanks for the heads up!
#892 CCS MW Am/ASRA Pro

resuscit8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
TEAM GAAAD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolin7 View Post
i recommend not doing it unless you're a very patient person. it's easier when you know how to do it, but it's still a pain in comparison the the previous models. the entire ram air portion has to come off with it. once the fairing is actually loose, you have to disconnect an electrical connector as well as a vacuum line. there's a panel on the inside that has to come off as well as the panel underneath the nose. not a fun affair, but if anyone is planning on tackling it, i can try to give some pointers. i was expecting it to be fairly simple like my '06, but not so much!

ok i need to knwo EVERYTHING.. my 08 is getting paint work and i need how to get those off, b/c the painter might break something so i am pulling them off and putting them back on to avoid BS.. let me know..sounds complicated..

"MAJOR THREAT!"
REKLOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
K.C.C.O

seems like way too much work to enjoy this bike

Munki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by prchmnkyusmc View Post
seems like way too much work to enjoy this bike
Maybe if one was "working" on the bike more than riding it but who does that?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
thinks hes superman

we'll get used to it i'm sure, only way to change the oil filter lol
mosmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
RR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosmak View Post
we'll get used to it i'm sure, only way to change the oil filter lol
For the oil filter... just need to drop the lowers.

BTW Spoolin, why did ya have the mids off? Frame sliders?
RR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
1000RR Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolin7 View Post
Yeah thanks for letting us know. Almost tried to take it off to get it out of my face doing an oil change. Glad I didnt!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
DMX

Haha....I just did mine over the weekend for an oil change, and yes you must be very patient. I was okay getting the mid off and back on, but then getting the lower all lined up on both sides was a small challenge.
DMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Lifetime Premium

It's really not that bad.There are fewer screws than the old bike, and many more tabs. It kind of folds apart. I was'nt looking forward to doing it, but it was easier than I expected. Yes, you need some patience, but anyone can do it. Here is a step by step;

First remove these four bolts.

Then remove the three snap clips from the inner cover. Just push a phillips head screwdriver or something else pointy into the center of the clip and it will release.

Here's the cover once it's been removed.

Next, remove the two plastic phillips head clips inside the front fairing. On the right side shown here it's not necessary to remove the rear one, but on the left side you must because the wiring harness runs behind it.

Then give the ram air intake duct a tug toward the outside. It should pop free. I've previously removed the flapper valves, vacuum cylinders and plugs, so they're not shown. Simply unplug the vacuum hose and connector and it will be free.

Then pull the ram air duct free from the airbox where it passes through the frame. It may take a hard tug.

Then move to the bottom of the fairing. Pull the rear of the black aft fairing outward and unseat the tab from the mid fairing.

Then, right behind the front wheel you need to pop the tab loose shown with the arrow by pulling the mid fairing forward. Then it will all slide apart and you are ready to do the other side. It's almost exactly the same.

To put them back on, it all slips together rather easily. Just reverse the order of these steps. It seems pretty tough, but after having them off a few times, it only takes a couple of minutes to take them off.

If any one else has any tips, let's hear them.
theneck likes this.

Last edited by BigSwede; 04-29-2008 at 04:16 PM.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement