What are my options - 08 1000RR is burning oil like mad? - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
djhartm

Unhappy What are my options - 08 1000RR is burning oil like mad?

My bike has been burning oil since I got it on March 21st. VIN #1474. Just on yesterday's ride alone, at 384 miles, it lost ~2/3 quart. With 2464 (slightly optimistic as I put some miles on before installing my Speedo-Healer), it has now lost 3 quarts of synthetic 10w-30 & 10w-40). No leaks of any kind/ no oil in airbox/coolant. But the can tip is black & other riders commented on smelling burnt oil when I get on the gas & seeing smoke.

I called Honda & complained & they basically said some BS about 1 quart per thousand miles is within tolerance, but agreed that should not be happening. Bottom line, take it to the dealer.

I spoke to the head mechanic at Powersports where I bought it, and he agreed something is wrong. I will take the bike in this week.

I don't want my bike torn apart & fixed though if they find a problem (I'm betting a leakdown will reveal problems in one or more cylinders). Once the cases get opened, the bike will never be the same (speaking from experience). What are my options? Has anyone dealt with this before? Someone on one this forums got the dealer to take their bike back after he had a myriad of problems (they sold him another make).

As far as power, I've got it geared -1F +3R & the bike won't power wheelie in 2nd unless the tank is near-empty. It basically feels slower than my 96 GSX-R750 racebike. I'm pretty bummed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 AM
diel11

Man, sorry to hear you're still going thru this. I guess you really have few choices. Sell the bike, raise hell with Honda and see what happens about getting another one, or let them open it up. Depending on who does the work, it could come back doing great or like my friend that is having the same problem, it can come back worse. I've heard of same problems overseas.
post #3 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
djhartm

Quote:
Originally Posted by diel11 View Post
Man, sorry to hear you're still going thru this. I guess you really have few choices. Sell the bike, raise hell with Honda and see what happens about getting another one, or let them open it up. Depending on who does the work, it could come back doing great or like my friend that is having the same problem, it can come back worse. I've heard of same problems overseas.
Thanks.

The top mechanics at the dealer recently left for other jobs, and the head mechanic admitted to a lot of churn since then, so I am more than reluctant to let them tear-down the engine.

I've asked my friend for some advice who is the CA/NV area rep for MBZ, since he deals with this on a regular basis from the other side. He also got Ducati to take back his Monster after having continuous FI problems. I have been documenting like mad, and have all my receipts, so I am hoping once the problem is determined, that Honda will either put me in a new bike, or at the very least, put a new engine in the bike, and 'adjust' my loan through AHFC. I'm not going to settle for having them repair it & send me on my way. Guess I also should educate myself on the 'lemon' law.

I too have seem a few reports of this problem from time-to-time, but no follow-ups on outcome (other than one person who said the dealer told him this was 'normal').
post #4 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 11:10 AM
JimmyJam
PISS OFF!

When I bought my 08 I paid in full for it on my GM Master Card. After the oil burning started, along with 3 other issues, I took it back to the dealer fully planning to attempt a charge back on the card. Not sure it would work, but I was prepared to try.

The dealer instead took it back for full value and I bought a Harley Davidson 312R from him instead. I love my new Harley (didn't know it was a Harley at that time) 312R. Doesn't burn a drop of oil 1100 miles later. Honda screwed the pooch on this one.

Let it get stole and file and insurance claim is the easiest way of dealing with it.

And my new Harley is even faster than my 081KRR was.

JJ
post #5 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 AM
diel11

JJ, you're cracking me up with that HD312R.

One thing to remember is none of the manufacturers offer replacement engines. They don't have "crate" engines or anything like that. If you have a problem with your engine, they will rebuild it. If something happens to the cases, they replace the cases and whatever else, but it's not like they just get you an engine from the Honda factory.

I would have someone do a leakdown and even dyno run as part of your documentation. The one I had here was at 14% leakdown with 1200 miles and burning oil like crazy.
post #6 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 12:20 PM
zoom1523

doesnt the lemon law protect you from stuff like this? or does that not apply to motorcycles?
post #7 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Slowr/t
Custom user title

There are lemon laws. Id check with your local laws. Here in Ga if you get a brand new vehical and you have to take it to the dealer more than 3 times for the same problem in under a year then you can file a lemon.

600RR 1000rr to come this fall
post #8 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
poopeehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhartm View Post

My bike has been burning oil since I got it on March 21st. VIN #1474. Just on yesterday's ride alone, at 384 miles, it lost ~2/3 quart. With 2464 (slightly optimistic as I put some miles on before installing my Speedo-Healer), it has now lost 3 quarts of synthetic 10w-30 & 10w-40). No leaks of any kind/ no oil in airbox/coolant. But the can tip is black & other riders commented on smelling burnt oil when I get on the gas & seeing smoke.

I called Honda & complained & they basically said some BS about 1 quart per thousand miles is within tolerance, but agreed that should not be happening. Bottom line, take it to the dealer.

I spoke to the head mechanic at Powersports where I bought it, and he agreed something is wrong. I will take the bike in this week.

I don't want my bike torn apart & fixed though if they find a problem (I'm betting a leakdown will reveal problems in one or more cylinders). Once the cases get opened, the bike will never be the same (speaking from experience). What are my options? Has anyone dealt with this before? Someone on one this forums got the dealer to take their bike back after he had a myriad of problems (they sold him another make).

As far as power, I've got it geared -1F +3R & the bike won't power wheelie in 2nd unless the tank is near-empty. It basically feels slower than my 96 GSX-R750 racebike. I'm pretty bummed.

you seem like inteligent and reasonable guy .
Just tell em a buy back or replacement bike is the only thing that will make you happy.
Recomend a sit down with general manager from dealer right away Make him aware you'll be represented.
Im like you ,I wouldnt want a bike that had to be torn down to scratch

Keep pressing the issue and I think you'll get your way.
post #9 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Timdog
I give your engine head

Has the smoking bike had any effect on the mosquito population?

My friend had a problem with his blade smoking. We took it apart and got the compression up to 17.8:1. Now we run it on diesel. It smokes a little but has not got any worse. Low down power is very strong and fuel economy is much better.

My rides:- mosquito fogger

I love my job
post #10 of 880 Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM
arod35

Quote:
Originally Posted by diel11 View Post
JJ, you're cracking me up with that HD312R.

One thing to remember is none of the manufacturers offer replacement engines. They don't have "crate" engines or anything like that. If you have a problem with your engine, they will rebuild it. If something happens to the cases, they replace the cases and whatever else, but it's not like they just get you an engine from the Honda factory.

I would have someone do a leakdown and even dyno run as part of your documentation. The one I had here was at 14% leakdown with 1200 miles and burning oil like crazy.
this is not true, i now have a crate engine on my bike. Sent from Honda of japan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page