2008 CBR1000RR OIL BURNING THREAD - Page 11 - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #101 of 400 Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
intruder61
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlade08 View Post
Everyone with oil burning issues, I found a solution that worked for me. After the first service/ oil change by the dealer, start topping up your oil with Shell Helix Ultra (5W40 full synthetic). Then do the break in procedure again to make sure that the piston rings are properly seated... fully open throttle from low speed (50mph) IN 4TH GEAR up to say 10000 revs, then roll down again. Repeat this for the first couple of miles everytime you ride. The piston rings will eventually seat. In total I have used 3 pints of Shell Helix Ultra during the whole process until it eventually stopped using oil. I followed this procedure about 2 weeks ago and my results are: Much less/No oil usage, slicker gear changes, no black residue on exhaust anymore.
Shell Helix Ultra meets and exceeds the API SG classification as recommended by the owners manual. It was tested according to JASO MA and exceeded the requirements although it doesn't carry the JASO MA certified logo. (marketed as a car oil and not a motorcycle oil, hence Shell Advance Ultra 4 - specifically for motorcycles). I would have used Shell Advance Ultra 4 (JASO MA certified), but cannot find it anywhere near where I live.
Shell Helix Ultra does however have sufficient levels of anti wear agents (Zinc and Phosphorus). My clutch is still fine, so I do not believe that Shell Helix Ultra contains Graphite or Molydenum ("friction modifiers" that causes the clutch to slip) So far so good.
my 2 cents....
Bullshit.

Quote:
Really? Can you provide some evidence for that statement regarding engineering changes of the 2009 CBR 1000RR. Would love to see it.
Honda not gonna tell you shit.

Quote:
There is no problem. The minority of people complaining on this thread, are complaining about piston rings that did not seat properly. That's why there's something like an "engine break-in" for the first 300 miles. This is the timeframe and distance in which you FOLLOW THE OWNERS MANUAL to ensure you use the engine in a way that will help seat the rings.
Bullshit

Quote:
Are you on cr@ck son? Have you even been CLOSE to a motorcycle before in your life? The rings are not seated properly when the bike arrives from the factory son! ANY MAKE OF BIKE!!! That's why there's a break-in period for 300miles. Please son, get off this thread and stop wasting the grown-ups time. I'm not getting paid to educate you! Get back to what you were doing before you joined this thread
Bullshit

Quote:
Because your slow and heavy 05's engine does not CLOSELY resemble this new engine of the 08.
That method of breaking-in WORKED for me. My 08 does not burn oil anymore!!!
I just thought i'd share it with the other 08 OWNERS who do not have the privilege of having their bikes run-in on a dyno. You know, there are other people on planet earth, less fortunate than ya'll in the BIG U. S. of A.
Be careful coming on here assuming everyone here lives in the USA and rides the same bike with a dyno in the back yard.
Your point being??

"WE'VE TURNED INTO THIS NATION OF OVERFED CLOWNS, RIDING AROUND IN CLOWN CARS, EATING CLOWN FOOD, WATCHING CLOWN SHOWS. WE'VE BECOME A NATION OF CRINGING CRAVEN FUCKUPS."

James Howard Kuntsler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
mch

What about reporting the Honda to the EPA? Get some green loving EPA person in California the info and see where it goes.
post #103 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 AM
djhartm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mch View Post
What about reporting the Honda to the EPA? Get some green loving EPA person in California the info and see where it goes.
Interestingly, I asked the DSM about exactly that; he seemed to indicate that the excess pollution as a byproduct of the consumption issue this was of no concern to Honda.

Whether or not the EPA, CARB, or other regulatory agency feels the same way would be interesting to find out.
post #104 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
djhartm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootR View Post
Jeez, not sure I should say anything here anymore or get banned but I've been running engine dyno test for going on 27 years, thousands of break-ins, literally, I've lost count, maybe > 10,000 of them, all kinds of engines. Modern engines using modern materials and oils and ring design do not, I repeat, do not rely on ring "seating" by wearing in. Rings simply seat by their design, geometry and cylinder pressure. They do not need nor do you want metal to metal contact, ever. Oils can not be too slippery. Syn oils do not have any issues with ring seating or engine break-in. Ring/cylinder wear and life or durability is another issue altogether. Yes engine use, rpm, load and oil quality matter there. Every engine I've ever seen that had an oil consumption issue on a new build, ours or factory had a problem:

1) Wasn't built right, ring installed upside down, ring broken, 2nd ring installed in top groove, forgot the oil ring expander etc..

2) Bad valve guides, bad turbo seals, oil leak, too much oil in crankcase, crankcase ventilation system screwed up, etc...

3) Bad or poorly ring design, clearances, geometry, etc...

I just haven't seen any break-in effects, periods, needs. It's either right and oil consumption is good or something is screwed up and no matter how you "break it in" it won't matter. We measure oil consumption on all of our test beds, real time, continously while the engine is running, no need to shutdown, check dip stick, sight glass, whatever, it's either good or bad. If not good, we stop and inspect and find the problem.

I read the CBR smokes on decel, valve guide problem maybe ? Also read here aftermarket rings fixed bikes with problems. There are rings, twist rings, that are designed for the
2nd groove, sometimes even the top, that help seal under light load/ high vacuum conditions. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a different ring supplier/design cured the problem.

"The rings are not seated properly when the bike arrives from the factory son! ANY MAKE OF BIKE!!! That's why there's a break-in period for 300miles"

Total BS IMHO, sorry, but if OEM's delivered to me, work or personal, engines like this I would send them back and/or buy from somebody else.
Your statements, JJ's, & Diel's are spot-on.

Frighteningly, they are the exact polar opposite of the SM at the local Honda dealer.
post #105 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM
infideltarget
Rehabilitated Squid

could've bought a gixxer...or any other bike for that matter...test rode most of them...cbr "just felt right"...my brother bought an '08 gixxer 1k at the same time i bought my 1krr, and he owns an '03 r1...rode all three back to back...cbr still feels "right"...so i will not be selling it to buy a gixxer, r1, zx10, or even a 1078 (uncomfrtable as hell)...i will buy the extended warranty, ride the hell out of it, and fix it when\if it breaks, then ride the hell out of it again.......
post #106 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
infideltarget
Rehabilitated Squid

...so there...any one else feel the same? seems most of the problem posts keep coming from the same couple or three posters...mine is an early vin...somewhere inthe 2500's...its 13000 miles away right now so it may take a minute or two to get it...am still in break-in with 125 miles...no noticible smoke or oil consumption while outrunning my bro's r1, or my bro-in-law's tl1000r...they would have SURELY told me if it were smoking...they damn sure saw my exhast pipe enuff...my bike is in TN, but was bought in ohio...january 08 mfg date...
post #107 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 02:30 PM
CANTER6
blah

on the ring seating convo:
A while back i watched where Honda was building a gold wing or something similar, and they actually dyno ran the bikes BEFORE shipping them.

I want to say it was the show "how its made"
post #108 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Darth H.
Lifetime Premium

Every single engine that comes out of Honda I am pretty sure is test run.
post #109 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 PM
diel11

All manufacturers do that, including Ducati. They run each bike right after it's finished. Then they crate it up. Even things like Sea Doos and ATVs are done the same way. They check that everything is working fine and also do performance comparisons.
post #110 of 400 Old 12-31-2008, 03:02 PM
CANTER6
blah

iassume thisis also how they generate that HP # printed on the MSO as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page