2008 CBR1000RR OIL BURNING THREAD - Page 4 - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #31 of 400 Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Zipfer

Mine is Vin 000325 and have no problems out of it. Just incase people are not doing the check right this is what the book says,
1. Park your motorcycle on it side stand on a firm, level surface.
2. Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes. Make sure the warning indicator and low oil pressure indicator go off. If the indicators remians on, stop the engine immediately.
3. Stop the engine and wait 2-3 minutes.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean.
5. Hold the motorcycle in an upright position.
6. Insert dipstick until it seats, but don't screw it in.
7. Remove the dipstick and check the oil level.

I wonder if people are not doing 5. If I leave mine leaned over then it shows almost empty. When I stand it up it is on the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 400 Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
djhartm

1. the last 6 of your vin# : 001508
2. what symptoms you've seen : some blackening of the exhaust, 225ml in 379.1 miles, heavy smoking on decel during Dynojet tuning session.
3. How you check your oil : per owner's manual procedure
4. mods on bike : metric converter,PC III, BMC race, PAIR block-off plates, Yosh R-77, custom tune.
5. what dealer interaction you've had on this issue : Honda replaced first bike. Meeting with DSM on 11/6
6. Raleigh, NC

Total miles, 1241.

Oil: Honda GN4 changed at 598 miles
Filter: K&N
post #33 of 400 Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
56cbr600rr

Haha, I know. I used to be on 600rr.net alot along time ago before it went to cr@p. Did a couple of 600/1000rr.net trackdays too. I still come here occasionally, but mostly just browsing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
Holy shit man, 16 posts and one of the first members here.

Did you just come out of hibernation?
post #34 of 400 Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
BacNBlak
Awesome Member

I havent had the issue with mine but read with great interest...throwing this out there....Ive noticed that most people with the problem seem to be running BMC Race filters. Stretch but maybe its a race filter NOT a street filter for a reason!? I run the street BMC filter.

Also, another unknown factor is break in. How many guys really followed the 600 mile, under 6K rpm? I did, and no oil consumption here. I then switched to Honda full synthetic. What role does that play?

There are too many factors involved to accurately pin-point this one. Let Honda figure it out.

2008 Blk / Silver 1000rr Yoshi Carbon Full System, DynoJet USBIII, Ignition Module, Quickshifter, BMC Filter and some Hotbodies action!

Tuned by Redline Motorsports, Yorktown, VA. 160HP / 75 ft. lbs TQ

NESBA A-84

2002 SVT Lightning

2006 F-150 S/C 4X4
post #35 of 400 Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Aktion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacNBlak View Post
I havent had the issue with mine but read with great interest...throwing this out there....Ive noticed that most people with the problem seem to be running BMC Race filters. Stretch but maybe its a race filter NOT a street filter for a reason!? I run the street BMC filter.

Also, another unknown factor is break in. How many guys really followed the 600 mile, under 6K rpm? I did, and no oil consumption here. I then switched to Honda full synthetic. What role does that play?
There are too many factors involved to accurately pin-point this one. Let Honda figure it out.
Hard break in, synthetic oil since 100km, 2 track days, 3 sets of tires, 6,000km, and 4 oil/filter changes later, not even a ml of burned oil, nor any reports from rides behind me (track and road)

BTW. I'm in Oz, we get the euro models (if it makes any diff), mine run like a dream, yet others down here have oil consumption issues. Another main complain down here is gearboxes... mine is fine.
post #36 of 400 Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 AM
mentalfacility
MENTAL

I have got a new bike. We nearly got to court, but laws here look out for such flaws.

Only done around 600km on the new bike, too early to tell if anything is wrong with it, but the gearbox is deffinatly much much better.

08 1k. One horny motorcycle.
post #37 of 400 Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 AM
djhartm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalfacility View Post
I have got a new bike. We nearly got to court, but laws here look out for such flaws.

Only done around 600km on the new bike, too early to tell if anything is wrong with it, but the gearbox is deffinatly much much better.
Congratulations.

I'm on #2 as well, and am noticing consumption, but so far, not on the level as the previous unit. Is your new unit consuming oil?
post #38 of 400 Old 11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
morgan

Hi,

1. the last 6 of your vin# : ??? will complete later
2. what symptoms you've seen : some blackening of the exhaust, 500ml in 1000k
3. How you check your oil : bike on level, dip screwed in
4. mods on bike : none
5. what dealer interaction you've had on this issue : dealer marked up oil cap and dipstick and measured oil usage after 1000k. Honda australia has reccomended they replace pistons, rings and barrels. I said the bike is smoking heavily on deceleration - usually pointing to a problem in the top end of an engine...
6.Sydney Australia

I was kinda hopnig for a new bike, what do you guys think>? let them replace the pistons ect and if it still uses oil demand a new bike?
post #39 of 400 Old 11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Daca
lelemud

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Hi,

5. what dealer interaction you've had on this issue : dealer marked up oil cap and dipstick and measured oil usage after 1000k. Honda australia has reccomended they replace pistons, rings and barrels. I said the bike is smoking heavily on deceleration - usually pointing to a problem in the top end of an engine...
6.Sydney Australia

I was kinda hopnig for a new bike, what do you guys think>? let them replace the pistons ect and if it still uses oil demand a new bike?

I believe AU law is on your side .. get a new bike, not the reconditioned one.
post #40 of 400 Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM
djhartm

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Hi,

6.Sydney Australia

It seems odd they would authorize this work with only 500ml per 1k km. Did they perform a leak-down/compression/plug reading? How many miles on the bike? Does it make decent power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page