2008 CBR1000RR OIL BURNING THREAD - Page 40 - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #391 of 400 Old 10-09-2012, 01:13 AM
TmecCeebur

Quote:
Originally Posted by d207gp View Post
I would be there to keep an eye on the procedure.

I trust the majority of MC dealers about as far I can throw 'em.
lol same here. I'm gonna give them a call as soon as they open and find out when they're expecting the rep so I can be there. Hopefully its not like a plumber or a cable guy and "We'll be there sometime between sun up to sun down"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 400 Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM
d207gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmecCeebur View Post
Hopefully its not like a plumber or a cable guy and "We'll be there sometime between sun up to sun down"

Charlie, We don't want tuna with good taste. We want tuna that tastes good, smells good and puts out.
post #393 of 400 Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 AM
TmecCeebur

So little update, 2 honda reps came to the dealer where i dropped my bike off and they said the bike wasn't producing smoke like the others they've seen. I wasn't able to be there unfortunately cause of my work schedule They said that my bike didn't smoke at all tho. I find that very hard to believe since I'm going through 1 qt about every 500 miles. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I have an extended warranty but it'll only cover broken and damaged parts. So basically I have an almost useless bike. I would just make it a track bike but there aren't any tracks close enough to race. I'm feeling pretty screwed right now. Any advice or tips?
post #394 of 400 Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 AM
d207gp

That sucks, they probably didn't even start the bike. Just stood around bullshitting.

Charlie, We don't want tuna with good taste. We want tuna that tastes good, smells good and puts out.
post #395 of 400 Old 10-11-2012, 02:57 AM
TmecCeebur

Quote:
Originally Posted by d207gp View Post
That sucks, they probably didn't even start the bike. Just stood around bullshitting.
Hahaha probably. Especially since they supposedly got there 20 minutes before the dealer closed. Maybe I should try calling honda myself and see what they say.
post #396 of 400 Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Nicky310
crotch rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast View Post
If YOU own a 2008 CBR1000RR and it burns oil please post up telling me:
1. the last 6 of your vin#
2. what symptoms you've seen
3. How you check your oil
4. mods on bike
5. what dealer interaction you've had on this issue.

Thanks guys.
Cory
1. 006663
2. considerable smell of oil coming from the exhaust (noticed by many); sooty exhaust tip; using approximately 1/2 liter of oil per 125 miles
3. oil checked per owner's manual instructions (run 3 min, wait 3 min)
4. Jardine slip-on; Bazzaz tuner and Z-bomb; BMC air filter; PAIR mod; -1/+2 sprokets
5. I took it to the dealer last week, they did the Honda recommended test (175+ degrees F, crack throttle to 8k, etc), but they detected no smoke. The service writer stated that 1/2 liter per 125 miles is within an acceptable amount of oil use for riding at a track.

I purchased the bike as a new leftover in 2010. It currently has just over 3600 miles. I broke it in on the street at low RPMs until it was a bit over 500 miles, then used it as my track bike. I've raced locally (CCS), 3 or 4 races per weekend, 3 or 4 weekends a year, for the last two years; the majority of the 3600 miles are from working as a control rider at track days with the Intermediate group. Oil consumption seemed to continually get worse until I measured it this fall after a race weekend (three 8-lap sprints) and working a track day -- I had to top it off twice, using a total of 1 liter of oil, over right around 250 miles between the two events.

My good friend and teammate also has an '08; exact same mods; a track-only bike; does pretty much all the same race weekends and track days; goes about 7 seconds per lap faster than me (race times are around 1:10 vs. my 1:17) -- doesn't have an issue with oil usage. I think his 'break-in' was at the track.

Team MSB Racing
Sponsors: MadisonSBK.com, MadWraps, LLC, The Shoe Box
CCS MW amateur #310
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
post #397 of 400 Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
djsnapsmix

08 cbr burning oil

burned 2 qts in 2,000 range black muffler tip
stock just dan moto exaust
call des plaines honda in il no help never heard of such issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast View Post
OK, here is THE thread. I'm looking for every person who owns a 2008 CBR1000RR and has an issue with the bike burning oil.

If YOU own a 2008 CBR1000RR and it burns oil please post up telling me:
1. the last 6 of your vin#
2. what symptoms you've seen
3. How you check your oil
4. mods on bike
5. what dealer interaction you've had on this issue.

I'm gong to ask that any posts not directly related with all of the pertainent info be deleted (not sure if I can do it here or not). I'm also going to ask that "I know a guy" post be deleted. If you know someone with this issue please ask them to register and post or PM me with their name and whole VIN and I'll verify.

Any VIN #'s I compile here WILL NOT be reported to Honda without request of owner. I'm only doing this to see if we can put a finger on the problem (if one exists). I may request VIN information to check warranty status or see if Honda is aware of issues with this bike, I will not be submitting any information to them, I will be doing "Unit status checks" only through the Honda interactive network.

Thanks guys.
Cory
post #398 of 400 Old 04-25-2016, 12:12 PM
chevroletofatlanta

This bike kills me. Oil light stays on smh
post #399 of 400 Old 05-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Nori

May I ask You please if I choose a 2011 CBR instead of a 2009 or 2010, my chances of getting a less risky bike regarding of crankcase problems and oil burning issues?

Thanks!
post #400 of 400 Old 05-07-2016, 06:08 PM
drilla2212
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori View Post
May I ask You please if I choose a 2011 CBR instead of a 2009 or 2010, my chances of getting a less risky bike regarding of crankcase problems and oil burning issues?

Thanks!

From everything ive seen the 2011+ dont have any of the issues the 08-10 had. If you're that worried i would try for a 11 or newer, might as well look at the 12+ too if you can afford one. If i had to do it again i would go for a 12+ only for the cluster and gear indicator lol. I have a 09 that doesnt burn any oil at all, Not all of them have the oil burning issues. The crank problems are a completely different story though, Mine has developed a slight whine ever since i got it but i honestly could care less at this point. No matter if you get the 08-11 or 12+ just make sure you check the bike out to see if it has those problems. Theres plenty of topics to tell you what to look for. Anyways good luck with your search!

2009 CBR1000RR

PC5, Autotune, IRC, Bmc, leo vince gp pro, EK 3D 520, -1/+2, speedohealer, charcoal delete, ram air delete, driven blockoffs, woodcraft crash kit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page