If YOU own a 2008 CBR1000RR and it burns oil please post up telling me:
1. the last 6 of your vin#
2. what symptoms you've seen
3. How you check your oil
4. mods on bike
5. what dealer interaction you've had on this issue.
2. considerable smell of oil coming from the exhaust (noticed by many); sooty exhaust tip; using approximately 1/2 liter of oil per 125 miles
3. oil checked per owner's manual instructions (run 3 min, wait 3 min)
4. Jardine slip-on; Bazzaz tuner and Z-bomb; BMC air filter; PAIR mod; -1/+2 sprokets
5. I took it to the dealer last week, they did the Honda recommended test (175+ degrees F, crack throttle to 8k, etc), but they detected no smoke. The service writer stated that 1/2 liter per 125 miles is within an acceptable amount of oil use for riding at a track.
I purchased the bike as a new leftover in 2010. It currently has just over 3600 miles. I broke it in on the street at low RPMs until it was a bit over 500 miles, then used it as my track bike. I've raced locally (CCS), 3 or 4 races per weekend, 3 or 4 weekends a year, for the last two years; the majority of the 3600 miles are from working as a control rider at track days with the Intermediate group. Oil consumption seemed to continually get worse until I measured it this fall after a race weekend (three 8-lap sprints) and working a track day -- I had to top it off twice, using a total of 1 liter of oil, over right around 250 miles between the two events.
My good friend and teammate also has an '08; exact same mods; a track-only bike; does pretty much all the same race weekends and track days; goes about 7 seconds per lap faster than me (race times are around 1:10 vs. my 1:17) -- doesn't have an issue with oil usage. I think his 'break-in' was at the track.