Coolant Leak??? : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
WhiteSnake74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 133
Coolant Leak???

Hello,

This morning I noticed that my bike has what appears to be a coolant leak. The leak comes from this part:



What is this part anyways? Is it a water pump?

The bottom part was very wet; I wiped it off and checked the coolant level at the reservoir and it was between the max and min mark. So I went for a ride.

When I got back there was a new leak, but this time it was dry, I assume because of the engine heat. Here's a pic:



I really can't find where the leak comes from.

Can someone help me figure out what seems to be the problem?

Thanks!

By the way, the bike is a 07 1000RR with 1,900 miles.
__________________
2007 CBR1000RR Repsol

WhiteSnake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
pdfruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSnake74 View Post
What is this part anyways? Is it a water pump?
Yup, that's the water pump.


Check your hose clamps. Chances are, one (or all) of them is loose. They have a tendency to loosen over time, due to heat cycles. Give em each a little snug anyway.

BTW... This is not a new thing. The issue is always coming up over on the ST owners forum, I hang out on. Every liquid cooled Honda I've ever owned, has done this. (82 Wing, 91 ST1100, 2003 ST1300, 2003 RC51, 2008 CBR1000RR. Just a fact of life. Cold weather climates seem to exacerbate the problem, but it's common across the globe (regardless of climate). One of my season prep tasks, is to check and tighten all hose clamps.

It's also possible your pump seals are going. Not as likely, given the low miles on the bike. Can you see the wheep hole? Is there any evidence of coolant emanating from the hole?
__________________
03 ST1300
pdfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
WhiteSnake74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfruth View Post
Yup, that's the water pump.


Check your hose clamps. Chances are, one (or all) of them is loose. They have a tendency to loosen over time, due to heat cycles. Give em each a little snug anyway.

BTW... This is not a new thing. The issue is always coming up over on the ST owners forum, I hang out on. Every liquid cooled Honda I've ever owned, has done this. (82 Wing, 91 ST1100, 2003 ST1300, 2003 RC51, 2008 CBR1000RR. Just a fact of life. Cold weather climates seem to exacerbate the problem, but it's common across the globe (regardless of climate). One of my season prep tasks, is to check and tighten all hose clamps.

It's also possible your pump seals are going. Not as likely, given the low miles on the bike. Can you see the wheep hole? Is there any evidence of coolant emanating from the hole?
Thanks for replying.

All hoses are dry. That's the weird thing, I don't find where it comes from.

I will wait a few days without using the bike to see if it gets wet again like this morning that I started the bike after a week of being parked.

Damn.
__________________
2007 CBR1000RR Repsol

WhiteSnake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
pdfruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSnake74 View Post
All hoses are dry. That's the weird thing, I don't find where it comes from.
I hear ya. And that's one of the tell-tale signs of a loose clamp somewhere.
My ST would do the same thing. Leave it sit for a couple days, and sure enough... there would be a little puddle again. Start it up, and nothing... no more leak. It took me many hours to finally find the leak. It wasn't that the clamps were obviously loose. There were a couple that were just not "tight enough". As the bike cooled, a little would sneak by one of the clamps. In my case it turned out to be at the t-stat housing, near the top of the motor.

Looking a little more closely at one of your pictures, I can see tell-tale signs of coolant coming from higher up. Maybe from the hose joint at the top of the water pump. See the red arrow, I added below. Test the clamp on that hose. Is it tight?
Attached Thumbnails
Coolant Leak???-coolant-leak.jpg  
__________________
03 ST1300
pdfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
WhiteSnake74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfruth View Post
I hear ya. And that's one of the tell-tale signs of a loose clamp somewhere.
My ST would do the same thing. Leave it sit for a couple days, and sure enough... there would be a little puddle again. Start it up, and nothing... no more leak. It took me many hours to finally find the leak. It wasn't that the clamps were obviously loose. There were a couple that were just not "tight enough". As the bike cooled, a little would sneak by one of the clamps. In my case it turned out to be at the t-stat housing, near the top of the motor.

Looking a little more closely at one of your pictures, I can see tell-tale signs of coolant coming from higher up. Maybe from the hose joint at the top of the water pump. See the red arrow, I added below. Test the clamp on that hose. Is it tight?
Thanks a lot pdfruth. I will do that tomorrow.. I'll let U know.
__________________
2007 CBR1000RR Repsol

WhiteSnake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
perf0rmance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 855
Coolant Leak Update

I've got the same problem... water pump seal.
I've put on about 300 miles since I discovered it. I'll get it changed soon.
perf0rmance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
PhantomRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 200
That pumps on its way out mine was leaking at around that milage an i didn't know it till i tore it apart for the winter an i also had a green spot on the floor in my house (wife was pissed) and the foam on the plastic was soaked, on the last pic if you look up behind that housing you will see the shaft and the weep hole for the pump. Had mine covered under warranty. You can still ride with it like that but it will leak when you shut it off so keep an eye on your coolant level, im not saying dont fix it but needs to be looked into soon. Also good practice to tighten all the hose clamps once a year they come loose on these bikes from time to time.

Performance you still havent changed your pump yet? Sorry to thread jack.

Plus look in the maintance section there are a few threads in there on this.
PhantomRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
WhiteSnake74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 133
Ok, I finally found where the leak comes from:

THE HOLE!!!!



I raised the bike with the rear stand, removed the under cowl, got behind the bike and it was very easy to find the water pump inspection hole. The coolant leak came from it.

New water pump for me.
__________________
2007 CBR1000RR Repsol

WhiteSnake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
perf0rmance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRR View Post
That pumps on its way out mine was leaking at around that milage an i didn't know it till i tore it apart for the winter an i also had a green spot on the floor in my house (wife was pissed) and the foam on the plastic was soaked, on the last pic if you look up behind that housing you will see the shaft and the weep hole for the pump. Had mine covered under warranty. You can still ride with it like that but it will leak when you shut it off so keep an eye on your coolant level, im not saying dont fix it but needs to be looked into soon. Also good practice to tighten all the hose clamps once a year they come loose on these bikes from time to time.

Performance you still havent changed your pump yet? Sorry to thread jack.

Plus look in the maintance section there are a few threads in there on this.
not yet LOL
I don't think warranty will cover this either (out of date?)LOL D'oh!
perf0rmance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
WhiteSnake74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 133
Update:

I installed the new water pump yesterday. It was a pretty easy job!

Thanks for all your help.

By the way if someone wants the old water pump and wants to open it and fix it with a new seal, I can sell it very cheap. It has less than 1,900 miles.
__________________
2007 CBR1000RR Repsol

WhiteSnake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Latest Forum Topics
Why aren't the SP's selling?
10-09-2014 11:56 AM
Last post by P4L
Today 02:51 AM
183 Replies, 5,049 Views
Had my first wreck today.. came out...
10-18-2014 05:42 PM
Last post by NyteStalk3r
Today 02:38 AM
28 Replies, 659 Views
2015 Honda CBR1000RR??
08-11-2014 01:58 PM
Last post by NyteStalk3r
Today 02:27 AM
62 Replies, 14,010 Views
Word Association Game v2.1
12-06-2011 01:25 PM
Last post by NyteStalk3r
Today 02:11 AM
17,356 Replies, 282,010 Views
Showing my HRC some love
10-07-2014 10:56 PM
Last post by unirr
Today 12:26 AM
10 Replies, 360 Views
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 1000RR Prices
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum