2008 - Clutch in-> engine shuts off : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

2008 - Clutch in-> engine shuts off

So, I have had an issue with 2008 CBR, where you pull in the clutch and the bike dies. The revs come in really quick, it is almost like some safety mechanism is being triggered similar to engine kill switch. It has happened 10 or so times now, at an increasing frequency lately. It happens around 2-4k rpm, normally when braking to a red light or slowing down to take a turn, pull in the clutch and boom..rpms drop to 0.

I had the bike in service, and they logged the issue, but did not see anything wrong with any switches or anything, my guess this is a SW issue. So, anybody else out there with the same problem? I had the bike in stock form and it did that, and then put in a PCV and same issue, seems like it could be something in ignition rather than fueling.
sammyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Excellent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg1 View Post
So, I have had an issue with 2008 CBR, where you pull in the clutch and the bike dies. The revs come in really quick, it is almost like some safety mechanism is being triggered similar to engine kill switch. It has happened 10 or so times now, at an increasing frequency lately. It happens around 2-4k rpm, normally when braking to a red light or slowing down to take a turn, pull in the clutch and boom..rpms drop to 0....
Yea I've experienced something similar except the RPM range doesn't quite fit. Let me clarify: You slow for a stop light by pulling in the clutch and applying brakes; but before you come to a stop, the bike dies. You notice the bike dies somewhere between 2-4k, but you are at higher RPM before you begin slowing.
Correct?
MikeCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCBR View Post
Yea I've experienced something similar except the RPM range doesn't quite fit. Let me clarify: You slow for a stop light by pulling in the clutch and applying brakes; but before you come to a stop, the bike dies. You notice the bike dies somewhere between 2-4k, but you are at higher RPM before you begin slowing.
Correct?
Well, yes. Slowing down, dropping gears. Just can't seem to locate what RPM area the bike dies off, it could happen higher, but maybe I just don't realize that. I think applying the brakes is the key as well, last 3 times it has happened, I have been on the brake at the same time, so you got that right.
sammyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #4

It has happened to me twice before...
sHiNeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
turbo-douchin' since 1980

Another win for the 08
Old 03-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Excellent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg1 View Post
Well, yes. Slowing down, dropping gears. Just can't seem to locate what RPM area the bike dies off, it could happen higher, but maybe I just don't realize that. I think applying the brakes is the key as well, last 3 times it has happened, I have been on the brake at the same time, so you got that right.
OK. Slowing down and dropping gears.... and braking. Not just when pulling in the clutch? See if you can pinpoint the events a little more precisely next time you go out. Not so much the rpms but what your hands are actually doing when it dies.

A couple of things that the engine won't like:

1) Chopping the throttle off at the same time you pull and hold in the clutch (as you brake with your other hand). Only clutch long enough to complete a downshift, even if you're about to stop soon anyway.

2) Downshifting with a large rpm mismatch between engine and gearbox. This can cause excessive engine braking which can lead to an engine stall. If your rear wheel starts hopping, it can also cause you to crash. A lot of guys will blip the throttle and/or feather the clutch out when downshifting to help manage this. There are several threads available here on this topic.
MikeCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Kamikaze

I love me some high speed wheel hop while trying to settle the chassis for a corner.

I have never had this problem on my 08. Maybe you have a power commander with a weird map?

Edit: nevermind, saw that it happened when the bike was stock, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMattyD View Post
i hope you all die in fires.
philip1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #8

I may be off here but I've heard of a few complaints about the camshaft position sensor having issues on some of the 08's. I think in the threads where people were having issues with it, it was similar to what you are experiencing. It may be worth mentioning to the tech..?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
haiiii :D

when i hard brake at a red light or hazard or whatever and i really get on my brakes and the bike dumps forward my bike sounds like it shifts itself i hardly brake really hard so ive only heard it once or twice D:

Nerupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerupo View Post
my bike sounds like it shifts itself
You must have one of the special CBR's with automatic shift and automatic kickstand

Team RedwoodTT
CBRaceRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement