Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

RPMs around town?

6K views 60 replies 38 participants last post by  Layzieyegunman 
#1 ·
Coming from the cruiser world, rinding this sport bike is a bit different. I'm used to keeping my rpms pretty low on my old magna, but was just wondering what range you guys ride for everyday cruising around town? I keep finding myself around 3k, but then it takes a sec to find the power. (is there a sweet spot for gas milage?)

#37 ·
Not trying to be a dick..

The bike was built to be RACED, to PERFORM at a higher degree than a street cruiser. If your doing neither than why put it through the unnecessary strain..yes it'll take what you dish out, but if that's how your ride day in and day out, than it'll increase the wear on your bike for sure..for no reason.
And of course its going to be responsive when your compression is as high as it is.

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"

#39 ·
Shift light was set by the previous owner and I never changed it, and I never rode the bike like this before just one day got used to having the rpms high and got addicted to the responsiveness of the throttle like this. I guess I will shift out of 1st sooner but I cant see myself ever riding around town in anything higher than 3rd.. Freeway is one thing but around town I get bored with the rpms low... Thanks for the input

#41 ·
That video is horrible bro, It is not good to keep in 1st gear at that high of an RPM/speed or any gear for that matter.. Shift... I ride around in 6th and sometimes 5th but not for long.. The bike has plenty of pep at 3k to get out of its own way in 6th gear.. Sorry to say it but that is killing your bike.

#44 ·
If your that worried about responsiveness then plz tell me why I can do the occasional power wheelie in 4th with ease??

Must be a lack of responsiveness there, I mean, Shit!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#47 ·
#49 · (Edited)
lazieyegunman,
if you wanna rev high, knock yerself out.

around town, commuting, 4500rpm - 5k rpm and up. Just depends. I shift out of first gear about 35 mph. I'm +1 in the rear. third gear above 65 mph... just depends though. so much torque on the 08s - 12s, accelerating above 4k rpm is a breeze.

#50 ·
Noahb,
if you wanna rev high, knock yerself out.

around town, commuting, 4500rpm - 5k rpm and up. Just depends. I shift out of first gear about 35 mph. I'm +1 in the rear. third gear above 65 mph... just depends though. so much torque on the 08s - 12s, accelerating above 4k rpm is a breeze.
:thumbsup::hail: A girl talkin torque. I think I' m in love.:th_SmlyROFL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.