Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

RPMs around town?

6K views 60 replies 38 participants last post by  Layzieyegunman 
#1 ·
Coming from the cruiser world, rinding this sport bike is a bit different. I'm used to keeping my rpms pretty low on my old magna, but was just wondering what range you guys ride for everyday cruising around town? I keep finding myself around 3k, but then it takes a sec to find the power. (is there a sweet spot for gas milage?)

#2 ·
im always below 4k around town as well.. but only because im not an annoying asshole (well on the bike anyway)

at 3k-4k, you have more power then alot of other bikes anyway... just if you expect instant power, you want to be above 6k. you want lots of power, be above 9 or so... i donno, at that point, im not looking at the tach anymore.

#5 ·
I'm usually at about 3-5k. I try to keep the RPM's a little high, in case I need instant power (avoid asshold cager collision).

When I first got a sportbike I would shift too soon trying to keep the RPM's down, now I realize that them being a little high doesn't hurt the bike, and can save your ass in certain situations :thumbsup:

#10 ·
In my experience (on a 2006) the bike isn't real thrilled with being at 3K RPMs. I consider 3K RPM on the 1KRR to be nearly-lugging. The bike seems fairly content at about 3500 as long as you don't plan to immediately pin the throttle. If you want to be able to roll on and have decent response, like others have said, you'd want to be in the 4500-5500 range.

That said, if I'm cruising at a constant speed, I'm almost always in 6th gear -- unless being in 6th gear would put the RPMs below 3500. That means that sometimes you have to quickly click down a gear or two to get to the power. Given that, if I have any reason to think I'm going to need sudden throttle I'd stay in a lower gear.

I don't know that all of the above added anything to what others have already said -- but it's my two cents.

#14 ·
Around town I tend keep it between 3500 and 6k, with higher RPMs for heavier traffic.

If I recall correctly the shift at 6k in first gear gets you to ~4k in second gear. That 4-6k range has enough torque and responsiveness for most town riding (in my opinion).

#27 ·
MrDude, I'm also in Charleston and with the nasty traffic everywhere you're probably lucky to get above 1000!!!!!!! Seriously though I find myself around 4000-5000 mostly and I'm able to just roll it on when needed, maybe 1 down to pass quickly. I think I'm getting around +/- 38 mpg overall, most of my riding is commuting to work.

#34 ·
Watch this video and tell me if this will hurt the engine by keeping the Ron's high cause it just feels so right like this ... Honest question my buddy watched my video and told me if I run my bike like this if will blow
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=sTDphFiWzKA
Your buddy should've slapped you...what part of your engine screaming "FUCKING SHIFT ALREADY" feels right? In town none the less..

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.