Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Whats your top speed?

30K views 273 replies 169 participants last post by  C2C1000rr 
#1 ·
I found this story and it made me wonder do alot of people push their bikes or do they stick to the speed limit. Everybody gets that urge to open her up once in awhile, Whats your top speed?

GOLDENDALE, Wash. - A Vancouver, Wash., motorcyclist was clocked doing an incredible 152 mph when he blew past a state trooper on a winding, two-lane highway near the Oregon border.

The trooper said he was working a stretch of Highway 14 near Maryhill on Sunday afternoon when he spotted the motorcyclist barreling toward him at high speed in the opposite lane.

The trooper quickly took two radar readings of 152 mph from his forward-facing radar, and a third reading of 151 mph from his rear-facing radar after the motorcyclist zoomed past him.

The speed limit in the area is 60 mph.

The trooper did a U-turn, and pulled the motorcycle over. The motorcyclist was later identified as Matthew M. Jackson, 39, of Vancouver, who was riding a 2008 Kawasaki ZX1400 motorcycle.

When the trooper asked Jackson if he knew how fast he was going, Jackson said, "No idea. I just opened it up."

The trooper explained the potentially deadly result of hitting a deer or running into rocks at that speed, and it appeared Jackson understood the seriousness of the situation, the trooper said.

Jackson was issued a $411 speeding citation.

The Washington State Patrol says high speed is one of the leading causes of serious injury and fatality collisions -along with driving while intoxicated.

"Eighty percent of fatal motorcycle collisions are now the fault of the rider," said State Patrol Chief John R. Batiste. "Half of fatal collisions don't even involve a second vehicle."

Attachments

See less See more
#105 ·
190.8 mph standing mile (Clocked at Texas Mile event in Goliad Tx) March 2010

2007 ZX14 (Stock motor internallly) derestricted electonics. full Yoshi exhaust PCMIII &. light weight Carrozeria wheels... I'm 6'5"" 245lbs. (I have gone 203 mph on a back road with more real estate (and time to cover it.) Someone smaller and lighter could get more out of it. Anything over 150mph and aerodynamics and weight really come into the equation.

<Speedy14><<

#10 ·
I actually know that stretch of road from the story, not that far from me. Anyhow, 177mph GPS reading on the front straight at PIR, my bike has engine work, but even when I had my stock one it was right around 170 on the same stretch and i could probably eek out some more if I braked later and came out of turn 9 harder.

#11 ·
I've only gotten mine up to 150mph.. and then I run out of road, or I expect to see a cop waiting for me so I'll back off. I only open it up when there's NO TRAFFIC at all and I'm really bored. Otherwise, I leave it for the race track. That's where our motorcycles were designed to do that speed. I agree on those figures stated in the article. A $414 speeding ticket is 4 Monday track days at Jennings GP for me :)

#12 · (Edited)
167 when I lived in Illinois is the fastest I ever went(not on my 1k)... it was a 15+ mile highway with no side access roads.

I've only had my 1k up to around 125 now that I live in TN... roads aren't quite as good to do that stuff.. nor do I care to go that fast anymore.

#13 ·
i did 189 on the 429 toll road! it was late at night hardly any traffic to worry about. scared the hell out of myself as i let off cause i saw a car i was coming up on to fast to slow from going that fast. didnt like the feeling. u know- like which way do i go and which way is the car gonna go o shit and its all over! two brothers exhaust with the juice box and k&n filters thats it for mods. prolly could have went a little faster was plenty fast for me and havent been that fast since!

#14 ·
Back in my squidly days I hit 183 on my 02 r1 just west of fort worth on 20 at about 2 am. Had exhaust, pc, v stacks. Blah blah. Who knows how correct it was. Shit felt alot faster than 150 i remember thinking. On the cbr I rode a few times around eastland. Need I say more?

#17 ·
Squid for me means goin 150 plus on a highway at 2 am in the morning. I like going fast on both street and track. But it's the more RESPONSIBLE thing to and I've grown older and have more to lose if I act stupid. My top speeds on my public roads these day does not allow for such a ridiculous high speed and honestly I've outgrown those SQUIDLY days. If you're going to say gear is 'bullshit' I have a good idea of the way you roll.

#20 ·
Guess I'm a squid then. I've seen 186mph and had it hit rev limit on a 3 mile straight strecth I know real well at 2am one time. It has no other turnoff or hidden driveways. I also had my brother ride up the rode to make sure I was clear for no traffic comin towards me. Now having said that I could care less if someone thinks I was a stupid squid for doing that. Cause it was a blast : )

Now what I do care to know is more about the speedohealer. I do know it corrects ur speedo, but will it actually make the bike have a higher top end? I read earlier that when the speedo hits 186 it rev limits. I'm clueless on this cause I never really cared for the speedo bein accurate at high speeds. But if I can squeeze a few more mphs out of it then why not ya know.

Yeah b4 its said I could search for the answer but figured id ask since I was already replying to this topic, thanks.

#22 ·
The guy got clocked at 152 then passed the cop and the rear sensor reading was 151. The cop had to do a uturn in a cruiser. How did he catch him? He would have been atleast two miles away before the cop got turned around.

#24 ·
The guy most likely noticed the officer, slowed down and pulled over to wait for his ticket. It will save your life or a serious ass beating and your bike getting taken if you pull over. Yeah, you can run... you can get away,... but what if you don't? Then it's a huge chase that ends with you crashing....
How embarrassing would that be!!!
Not worth it.

#23 ·
The stock speedo is digital and programed to read a top speed of 186, no digital speedo "stock" on any other bike in the big 4 "sold off the showroom floor" will read higher then that.

There is NO limiter on the bikes to keep them from going over that 186 limit you see on the speedo. If you watch the RPM's you can see them continue to climb while the speedo is stuck at 186...

Is that your real speed? maybe, maybe not. All bikes are a little different, but I know that they are not off by much. At 70mph and 130mph both my TomTom and speedo read the same,..with stock gearing and 190-50-17 rear tire.

A better wind screen and you can really get under the wind.

#29 ·
i might just be stupid but if i very get clocked going that fast there is no way in hell im stoping unless that cop car has an ACME Rocket straped to it but thats just me

#32 ·
Well I guess someone needs to make sure the "Cops" tv show keeps running.... For me stopping is a no brainer. It's not worth it to risk death or a felony and a decent amount of jail time in an attempt to avoid the consequences of being stopped for excessive speeding.

#30 ·
Thanks for clearing that up for me loonytoons. I never paid attention to the speedo except for when I fel the rev limit hit and I looked to see the speed which was of course 186....wish I really knew how fast I was going in a sense just so I have the knowledge to say yeah I've been that fast. At least I can say I've had it all it'll do anyways. I know for a fact I've been 160! I had a cop that was a friend clock me once to see what it would actuallly run, "I think he was more interested in knowing than me",but it was on a shorter straightaway so all I could get my speedo up to was 180 If I remember correctly, its been awhile. And this was with stock gearing, and stock size tires.

#31 ·
I"ve had two bikes say 189 on the speedo. My 08 cbr is down one in the front so im sure it was low to mid 170s (I ran out of road). My 07 R1 said 189 as well with stock gearing so I don't know what the real speed was on it, 180-185 maybe? I remember that run on my R1 and it felt FAST AS HELL! Never been able to fully max one out so lord knows what a bike will say on the speedo before it quits counting.

#33 ·
174 Atleast I was trying to stay away from the cars while doing it.

174 just saturday night. I've only owned my stock 08 for about 3800 miles.I found an open stretch 3.5 miles of one of the beltways around H-town. All barricaded off and lit up. About 4 lanes of brand new clean un-opened asphalt. around 2.5 miles are lit well. I made 2 slow passes first. Just to inspect for bumps, garbage and such. Then I ran it around 170(174 peak) for 2.5 miles. Till the lights ended. The bike still had more to give. But I didn't, that was fast enough for me on the first run. I haven't gone back for a 2nd yet either.

And for those who are thinking "squid" right now. I guess I fit that category, wait there's hope for me yet. With the speeds these things reach. I do see a greater need for more than just a helmet and jacket. And I do plan on getting a motorcycle endorsement on my license one day. LMAO!!! Mostly so I can be allowed on the tracks for trackday's next yr. I've wanted one of these rockets ever since 1985. And I've logged a many of miles on everything from a 3hp mini bike, suzuki rm 60, a honda '85 CR125, and then for 12 yrs I rode an "87 Honda Fourtrax 250R. Even blasting thru the woods, at as fast as 75. I never was a consistent helmet wearer. Fortunately the few times I did crash (except one). I had it on. Even high sided it at around 45 once on a crushed limestone roadway. With only a helmet, gloves, cutoff jeans, and nike hightops on. I got up bleeding from every joint on my body and most all of my back. And most recently, on the 2 Honda Magna VF750C's a '97 and an'03 that I've owned. I've logged 71,000+(and counting) collective miles and 1-9pt. New Mexico Mule Deer. Killed the deer, without crashing and rode another 150 miles that night. For a total of 1145 miles in 27 hours. Still have the '03.

Am I a "double squid" for an extra long rambling post? lol

#36 ·
I've heard that comment plenty, but you know what, It is hard for a cop to radio ahead when he doesn't know where the fuck I'm at or which way I went. I'm sure it goes a little something like " Uuuuhhhhh yeah I got a dark motorcycle going in excess of 150 and uuuuuhhhhhh, ah fuck it he is gone". I guess I proved that theory wrong around.........20-30 times. If you are dumb enough to stay on the same stretch of road for more than 30-45 seconds then yeah, just pull over because your probably going to get caught.

#38 ·
There is definately something ironic about doing 150 on the street, and then suddenly worrying about safety after a cop spots you. Particularly since many areas won't pursue.

Personally, I don't like to speed on the streets for safety reasons (going fast on the track is good). And even if I did speed, I don't trust the skill and judgment of most cops enough to run from them. Like this example:

#41 ·
There is definately something ironic about doing 150 on the street, and then suddenly worrying about safety after a cop spots you. Particularly since many areas won't pursue.

Personally, I don't like to speed on the streets for safety reasons (going fast on the track is good). And even if I did speed, I don't trust the skill and judgment of most cops enough to run from them. Like this example: YouTube - Ida Grove Iowa Motorcycle Pursuit and Crash
Its funny you posted that video. I had a heated discussion on this forum over this video a while back before all the data was lost on this site. It was basically an argument between people who thought "if you run you deserve to die" and then my argument " Nobody on a bike deserves to die by a cop just because he ran". Like I said, there are usually different opinions on this subject and thats the way it always will be. I know one thing though, if you ride a sportbike, your going to use the power. If you pull over every time a cop doesn't like something your doing, more than likely you won't have a license long (I damn sure wouldn't). Simply put, I got tired of being pushed around by cops who had a grudge against sportbikes, so now I weigh my options and do what is best for me. Plenty of people are going to say "I never run and your an idiot" but thats their choice and opinion. Personally, I like having low insurance without having to drive 5 miles under everywhere I go. As far as being called a "squid" within the next few post, I can guarantee I am one of the most laid back, safest and mature riders you will meet and I am usually the one who is behind the pack obeying the rules (except in the mountains!).:thumbsup:

#39 ·
178 according to the speedo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.