Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

09 Engine Number?

19K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  nascar4481 
#1 · (Edited)
Where the hell is the engine number stamped on the 08-9-10? I can't get my bike titled etc without it. It doesn't seem to be anywhere obvious.

and how many characters is it?

found letters and numbers on a tab behind headers. sound right?

Searched but couldn't find a clear answer.

#2 ·
The owners manual tells you where the engine number is stamped. It is on the crank case somewhere, obviously, but i can't remember where, but its not readily visible unless you remove the side panels, which isn't a job to be undertaken lightly...they're a bastard to remove and refit.
I found my engine number on the documentation which was supplied with the bike by Honda when I picked it up from the dealer.
The number you reference behind the headers is likely it.

#5 ·
I just registered an out-of-state 2008 CBR1000RR in California. The DMV needed to physically verify the VIN number on the bike (not the sticker, the hard stamp) and engine number. We were able to verify them, but it was difficult for sure.

VIN sticker location: Easily visible on the Left side (clutch lever side) of the frame below the top tank shell cover.

VIN stamp location: On the right side (brake lever side) of the steering head of the frame (between fork triple trees).

Engine number location: Stamped on the front of the engine crankcase block, close to the middle, hiding behind the exhaust header pipes. It is very difficult to see. It may be covered in dirt, so it is not visible and you need to wipe it off (I had to wipe it off with a napkin to see the numbers). If you try to see it from the right side of the bike, the oil filter can be in your line of sight, so it is better to look from the left side. I ended up removing the fairings, while at the DMV, with a hex key and a Philips screw driver. Even with the fairings removed it was hard to see. We took a photo with a camera phone + flash and wrote down the numbers from the photo. The owners manual shows the location of the engine number, and implies that you can see it through the hole on the left side fairing, but the DMV inspector and I could not see it after fiddling around for 20 min or so. I ended up spending over an hour, but did not give up and finally found it.

Do an internet search for "20XX CBR1000RR Owner's manual" and it will show you approx where the engine number should be. My bike is 2008, but the manual shows the 2009 is in the same location. Also, 2012 manual shows the engine number in the same location.

#7 ·
I know this thread is years old, but I was actually posting it for other people who might stumble across this for help, like I did. When I was googling for help on my phone at the DMV, this was one of the top search result.

To answer the other question on # of characters...

On my 2008 CBR1000RR, the engine number is a total of 12 characters (numbers and letters) on two lines of text, separated by a hyphen.

Looks like this:
SC59E-

It is on top of a flat tab surface, which protrudes forward from the engine block.

#9 ·
Numbers behind the Stator cover in the case

What are the meaning of the letters behind the stator cover stamped in the case. Looks like (XXX XX). I have an 08 with the cases cracked, mine are BBB BB. Im looking at one on eBay with numbers ABA AA. Is there a difference or are these like a Assembly line letter sequence to tell when it was made etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.