Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Warranty Extension Notice for 08-10 1000RR related to abnormal crankshaft noise.

104K views 354 replies 120 participants last post by  4NIKATER 
#1 ·
Got this letter yesterday from Honda. Anyone know the difference between the normal engine noise and the noise that causes this problem? I have had a slight noise from that area since it was new.

See less See more
#8 ·
I got my letter on Tuesday. Funny thing about it is that my clutch side cover leaks the tiniest amount of oil after a 100mi ride averaging 4000-5000rpm. I don't think that has anything to do with it.. but I know I'm not supposed to be leaking oil!

Reactions: flycbr1000
#9 ·
So I went to the dealership I while i was working in Oklahoma City this week, they confirmed the service bulletin on the crankshaft issue. I inquired as to oil consumption, since my bike started burning at 8500 miles, they said out of all the CBR 1000RR's they have sold, they have not heard of a single oil burning issue. I told them i have 2 friends with 08's, and all 3 of us burn oil. I truly believe Honda is telling their dealers to deny any knowledge.

Ill be trying to find a dealer to look at the crank issue now, since I live in NM and i wont take the bike to the Harley/Honda shop here locally.

#10 ·
No letter for me, but no noise either. There is a bit of a chattering noise when I leave the clutch lever out completely while in neutral, and the noise goes away when I take up the slack. Not worried. Should I worry?

#12 ·
My bike has done the exact same thing since new. I assume it's normal and nothing to worry about. Or is this the kind of noise the recall is referring to? Can't say whether the sound is more intense on the clutch side...

-

#26 ·
Too bad an "authorized Honda dealership" can only perform the work. My tuner could do an engine teardown in his sleep. He's trustworthy and the only one I would prefer do extensive work such as this.

#28 ·
Yes, I am apprehensive about getting a "rebuilt" motor with questionable skills BUT that is where the additional 4 year warranty on the crankshaft comes into play. In other words you WILL be covered for a total of 5 years from date of original purchase, you don't even have to be the original owner.

So I figure eventually if I just left it alone and rode it like Honda originally told me to do, one day it would crack or fail somehow. They have already put 2 crate engines in my bike, to just have the same problem. The only way they would avoid the rebuild is to install the 2011 motor which has the new crankshaft revision, which I'm guessing they don't want to do.

I'll let everyone know what happens... Just still feel ecstatic they acknowledged it finally!

#29 ·
You're more patient than I am. I'll do the crate motor option if they offer it, if it starts buring again bye bye Honda. I ride fast and cant have the thought of a crank letting go in the back of my head all the time.

#31 ·
I work for Honda and I've done 3 before they issued this bulletin. I was instructed to file the previous claims as extra damage related to the clutch recall since they were all 08's. I knew they were going to do something when I heard the noise on some 09's.

It's actually not a bad job, but I wouldn't want a entry level tech doing it. I think there would be more problems with wire and hose routing rather than engine tolerances being wrong, Honda makes it pretty easy to put together ( except for torquing the head, thats balls ) They don't even want us to remove the head for this repair, just pull the cams and timing chain, split the cases then d/c the rod caps. From there match the codes on the cases with the numbers on the new crank, get the bearings, plastigage then reassemble. It's odd though they are not replacing clutch baskets like they told me to do for the 08's; but they are changing the clutch lifter rod and even the clutch cable guide. If anyone is around upstate new york or northern PA I can do this repair for you seeing how I have experience in the matter. I can answer any questions if yall have any, it's pretty cut &dry though. Sucks balls 9.9 hours paid 17 involved :(.

#33 ·
Inspector gadget time. I talked to a customer of mine that has the 2009 Repsol, he said his is making this whining noise and that he will be trailering it up to me to get it taken care of, he asked me to replace his piston rings while I'm in there. He did say his bike was not consuming any oil, but if they did update the rings he wants to buy that extra since I will be right there. When I get this one apart I will see if the rings are any different, set aside any alloy or coating changes I wont be able to see. Pretty good idea. Almost want to waste the crank on my bike so that I can get my updated parts; maybe a little port polishing too! lol

#35 ·
Abnormal Crank Noise

The vid below (of an unrelated bike, exhaust, etc)
has an example of what I wonder is referred to as
abnormal crankshaft noise...

I always thought my 08 idles "like a tractor" - makes
so much noise.

Go to 35 seconds - listen as he pans by the right
engine case - same noise mine makes at idle.

:confused:

#37 ·
The vid below (of an unrelated bike, exhaust, etc)
has an example of what I wonder is referred to as
abnormal crankshaft noise...

I always thought my 08 idles "like a tractor" - makes
so much noise.

Go to 35 seconds - listen as he pans by the right
engine case - same noise mine makes at idle.

:confused:

08 CBR
Man that exhaust:th_thumbsdownsmiley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.