Truck Loading Ramp Questions : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #1

Truck Loading Ramp Questions

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to the forums and had a question that maybe someone has information on. I was recently looking for a ramp for my 2011 Avalanche to load my CBR into the truck. I came across this ramp and it seemed to be simple and cheap.

Amazon Product - Ramp Amazon Product - Ramp

Loading the bike into the back of the truck shouldn't be the problem. I was wondering if anyone had experience loading bikes into the back of a truck with stock motorcycles as well as lowered ones on a ramp like this. I've noticed there are arched ramps out there for loading motorcycles, but most of them aren't wide enough to walk up.

Has anyone lowered their motorcycle and had any problems with ramping it into the truck? Also has anyone purchased an arched ramp and had problems loading it into the truck alone? It seems that all these ramps are only about a foot in width and might be a pain loading it. I'm a little worried about the loading process since the Avalanche has a bit higher of a bed, but was hoping someone may have some input on this. I also wanted to lower the bike a bit and possibly extend the swingarm, but if this holds me back from loading it into my truck with ease, I might have to find some other options. I use my bike to ride around town mainly and hit a few curvy roads here and there, but think I would have more fun taking it to a drag strip. That is the reason I was going to extend out and possibly lower. Does anyone have any input on that as well? Thanks everyone!
Kyptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #2

You might need to get yourself a trailer with what your trying to do with the bike. I have a ramp very similar that I bought at harbor freight and I like it a lot.
tafkamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #3

I have one of the 1 foot wide ramps and I have no problem loading it. My truck is lifted a little, so I would assume your avalanche wouldn't be any taller. I paid somewhere around the price range that you are looking at. But if you aren't my size, 6'2" and 205lbs, your experience might be different.
The only time that I had an issue with the ramp was with my buddy's 600 when the lowering link broke and it was sitting all the way on the ground. But all i did was pick the bike up once it got to the point it hit and push it into the truck. granted, I had help in this instance. His bike is lowered 2" and rolls in just fine when it's not broken.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by MickGraw; 12-18-2011 at 04:34 PM.
MickGraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses!

I'm 6' and about 180lbs. The avalanche bed is a bit higher than a normal silverado or other full size truck I believe, but probably no higher than what you said. Do you just push the bike up half way, transition to the back of the truck and continue by yourself? Also is the ramp you have arched? I'm trying to avoid getting a trailer since hopefully I won't have to load it up to often. Being in the military though, I make trips to visit my hometown and usually load it in the back. I'm just wondering if the whole lower/extended swimarm will take away my capability to do that. Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Ex-Everything

I have a 3 piece, 9 foot folding ramp that works GREAT. I literally ride the bike into the back of the truck, and unloading is as simple as sitting on the bike and rolling it backwards. Do it by myself all the time.

http://www.discountramps.com/black-w...cycle-ramp.htm

2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Mods: Lots of track days and large testicles
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #6

That ramp is only 69" long which will make loading the bike harder. I use a Ready Ramp to load my bike into my Taco. It's 89" long, but they make a 100" version for full size trucks. I don't think I'd use anything shorter than 6' for loading a bike into a standard height truck. But that's just an opinion, I'm sure other people use short ramps with no problems. The drawback with a longer ramp is it has to be stronger or it will flex.

The CBR won't fit in my truck with the tailgate up, so I like that the Ready Ramp doubles as a bed extender. It is only 14" wide so I built a small step stool that I use to step into and out of the bed when loading the bike. The step stool is nice because it gives me a place to sit and a small toolbox when working on the bike at the track. Getting as much use out of everything I have to put in the truck for the track is a good thing. This might sound like an ad for Ready Ramp, but I have no affiliation with them other than being a happy customer.
oVTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #7

Just looked it up and mine is 8' X 18" folding aluminum.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...amp/web1007507
I got it on sale I guess, cause I didn't pay $200 for it.
As far as loading it, I have a 5 gal. bucket that i use as a step..push the bike up as far as I can then hold the front break, step up into the truck and pull it in. Then I just set it on the kickstand, and hook the straps up.
MickGraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Banned Camp Counselor

Go with the ramp that TheX pointed out, or similar. I had the same type ramp, just a different brand.
I used to have a Silverado 6.0L, and that ramp worked fantastic.

That ramp that was presented in the first link, is way too short. You are going to have a bitch of a time getting the bike into your truck bed!

Good luck man, and thank you for your military service!
n7hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I guess the reason I didn't go with a longer ramp in the first place was the storing issue when going down the road. The bike I have had in the back of my truck before (R6) would not fit unless I had the tailgate down. That's just for the fact that the Avalanche has a lot smaller of a bed. I'll look into the ramp that TheX posted and get that. I'm trying to order everything I need so I can get home and jump right on the bike and ride out. That way I don't have to worry about transportation issues when the time is needed. It looks like I won't have a problem with that ramp fully folded up to throw it in the back. I definitely will look into the Black Widow Ramps. I'm also guessing that if the bike is lowered and extended, I shouldn't have to many problems with that ramp because of the length. Thanks for all the input!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #10

Also I found on their website, they have a calculator for what size ramp you are going to need. Thought this my be helpful for others who might want to know what to look for as in length.

Ramp Loading Calculator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement