Anyone regret going from a 600rr to a 1000rr? - Page 8 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #71
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRyb View Post
Great thread. Informative! I've actually heard people say that, "on the track you need a 600, etc. etc." . But I don't see their point - for everyone. .

The reason we try to get riders to start on smaller bikes on the track is so they can learn to corner effectively and not rely on the power of the bike.

All too often, riders on big horsepower bikes get themselves in trouble on the track early on. They want to use all that power, but they haven't achieved the skill level needed.

Or, they become "that guy". Slow in the corners, and then gun it down the straights.

It's extremely frustrating to be stuck behind a guy like this, and often times leads to aggressive passes by the smaller bikes.

At our trackdays, we encourage the big bikes to take a peek behind them every once in a while as they get onto a straight. If there are bikes sitting there, let them by.

Who knows, you might actually learn something from the smaller bikes that are faster in the corners.

After all, trackdays are addicting for the corners. If your goal is just straight line speed, you can do that on any highway.

Trackdays in NH, NY and NJ
-------------
Tony
www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires!
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
The reason we try to get riders to start on smaller bikes on the track is so they can learn to corner effectively and not rely on the power of the bike.

All too often, riders on big horsepower bikes get themselves in trouble on the track early on. They want to use all that power, but they haven't achieved the skill level needed.

Or, they become "that guy". Slow in the corners, and then gun it down the straights.

It's extremely frustrating to be stuck behind a guy like this, and often times leads to aggressive passes by the smaller bikes.

At our trackdays, we encourage the big bikes to take a peek behind them every once in a while as they get onto a straight. If there are bikes sitting there, let them by.

Who knows, you might actually learn something from the smaller bikes that are faster in the corners.

After all, trackdays are addicting for the corners. If your goal is just straight line speed, you can do that on any highway.
Gotcha. Agreed on your points. Skill makes all the difference. And room for development and improvement never ends. I'm always willing to learn. Makes it fun!

CMRA # 117
CBRyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #73

Just getting back to this topic, for you 1k new commers wondering hor to handle the extra power in the twisties, ride in a taller gear more in the mid range of the 1k engine. There is no need to ride the engine into a corner in the high revs like you would a 600.

This allows for decent entry speed and working the throttle on exit of corners without rear end stepping out on you. Also a 55 profile rear offers nice contact leaned over for getting on the throttle.

Watch the MotoGP guys and listen to where in the revs they handle the tight stuff. Learn to harness the 1krr and enjoy. Just some thoughts and help after re reading this thread. With good rubber and throttle you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

Point and squirt riding is a yawn.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #74
TTD

My bike is only for the track, so I'll be putting some fresh Pirelli Diablo Slicks on this week.

I just put a set of 120/180's on the 600 at the last event and they were awesome. A couple of times I screwed up but the tires were like... "no problem, we'll get you out of this one!"

-------------
Tony
www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver_51 View Post
I had a modded 636. My 08 1krr is little faster if any.

09 CBR Repsol NADA $8865
09 CBR non-Repsol NADA $7605
-------
Difference $1265
DickBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #76

wow, great info.... exactly my dilemma
racem3lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #77
TTD

Got the bike partially ready for the track. Removed the plate bracket and mirrors, and added the 15 horsepower stickers.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...67873335_n.jpg

-------------
Tony
www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #78

After reading this entire thread I'm convinced on getting a 1000rr this coming summer

I'm just wondering what to do with my 600rr? sell it or keep it for days I don't want to ride the 1k
High_on_HUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_on_HUF View Post
I'm just wondering what to do with my 600rr? sell it or keep it for days I don't want to ride the 1k
Why would you ever NOT want to ride the 1k?
TedEbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #80

so after my first season of trackdays on my bike (have a track prepped car), I can honestly say I enjoy both my zx6r and 1krr. I tracked both this summer, b/c my 600 was in the shop for a while. 4 day on the zx6r, 3 on the 1krr.

I much prefer to track the zx6r, more flickable and I can pin it in almost any gear.

I have yet to pin the 1krr in any gear. I'm not a big gal though, 140 lbs 5'5". the most I've done is roll on 1/2 throttle. I hardly ever snap the throttle, b/c the front end tends to come up on me.

anyway, I ride both my bikes, and deeply enjoy riding both. to me, it's the difference b/t a fast miata and a viper.

and for me, it does take more muscle to handle the liter bike in the corners, and wears me out on the track. If I could only have one bike... I'd still pick the 1krr, b/c I am addicted to the torque.
numbafree is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement