Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2012 CBR 1000rr Oil Burning Issue?

54K views 187 replies 68 participants last post by  Ahoppe 
#1 ·
I’m getting the itch to try a new sport bike, and I’ve never owned a Honda sportbike. I’m definitely liking what I’m reading/seeing on the net regarding the 2012 CBR 1000rr model. But then, I started seeing reports of an “oil burning” issue pop up on the net, and on the different CBR forums. Supposedly this was just isolated to the 08 (and some 09) models, and was “officially fixed” with piston ring replacement. However, there are also reports of the issue occurring even after ring replacement as well as on some ’10 and ’11 models. Now granted you can’t believe everything you read on the net, but all of this definitely is a bit discouraging in regards to purchasing a ‘12 CBR sportbike (which reportedly has no engine changes from the previous model). I even noticed the class action lawsuit about this issue, damn. I would imagine some of you CBR owners are tired of seeing/reading about this “issue”, about as much as the FZ1 owner’s forum got tired of posting about the “throttle snatch” issue.

So what’s the real deal? Should I be concerned? Any of you 2012 owners noticed any oil consumption? How about you 2011 owners? I’ve owned a 6R, 10R, busa, and now own a ’09 FZ1. None of these bikes ever used oil or even showed oil level movement in between oil changes, so I’m just concerned about giving team red a try….

Thanks,
D

See less See more
#2 ·
im just shy of 1000 miles on mine and no issues

#3 ·
There' a ton of threads about this issue on this forum. Just use the search function. As for the 2012 having issue? Haven't heard of any as of yet. During the break in period, just don't baby it and the seals will seal in better. You shouldn't have any problems if you ride it like you stole it. As for myself I was considering buying the new CBR, but if I do I'll certainly buy a warranty for the first time ever. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
hey corsica,does yours seem to take forever to pull to redline in 4th???

#8 ·
1400 on mine and no oil burning issues.

#9 ·
i just clicked over to 1100 miles and no oil burning here.

#14 ·
I have 3000 miles on my 12 and no burning. All good :)

#16 ·
Lol not to sound like a dick but this is talking about 2012s only...the OP wants one but is Leary about it bc he knows 08-10s suck with oil consumption. Well a lot of them at least.

#20 ·
Uh Oh...

So, are you saying it burned 1/4 quart in 2700 miles???? Do you ever notice white smoke with high RPM operation?

Thanks for all the responses everyone, I'm watching this thread like a hawk. ;)

D

#23 ·
Hi,

My 08 Blade has no oil burning problem (10.000 miles). I used running-in-oil (Penrite UK) for the first 300 miles. Then mineral oil 10w40 (Belray jaso ma). At 3000 miles I switched to full synthetic motor oil. The Blade (especially the 08) has low tension piston rings; correct running in is extremely important.

#28 ·
Thank You

Sorry if I offended anyone here by asking these questions; that was not my intent. I am very much interested in this bike (sat on a Red 2012 today in a local dealership). The fact is I'm a stickler when it comes to the maintenance of my bikes. Every day before I ride I do the pre-ride check (which includes leveling the bike and checking the oil level). On none of my supersports have I ever noticed the oil level go down at any mileage interval (owned a 6R, 10R, Busa, and FZ1). I don't often visit the rev limiter on my rides (mostly commute to work and occasional spirited street riding), and that may be a factor for my observations. Fact is all this talk about oil consumption has me spooked a bit; everything else about this bike just seems great.

I appreciate all the feedback, and again sorry if this oil talk upsets anyone here.

D

#29 ·
Sorry if I offended anyone here by asking these questions; that was not my intent. I am very much interested in this bike (sat on a Red 2012 today in a local dealership). The fact is I'm a stickler when it comes to the maintenance of my bikes. Every day before I ride I do the pre-ride check (which includes leveling the bike and checking the oil level). On none of my supersports have I ever noticed the oil level go down at any mileage interval (owned a 6R, 10R, Busa, and FZ1). I don't often visit the rev limiter on my rides (mostly commute to work and occasional spirited street riding), and that may be a factor for my observations. Fact is all this talk about oil consumption has me spooked a bit; everything else about this bike just seems great.

I appreciate all the feedback, and again sorry if this oil talk upsets anyone here.

D
You have a right to ask this question that is what these forums are for... a lot of people on here like to talk trash and make people feel stupid for asking questions but I say F_ck Em ... Ask away, yes use the search engine but if you cant find your answer new thread ... There are a lot of people on here that dont mind helping and then you'll get those that just have nothing better to do but type up negative sh*t and push people away. anyone with half a brain could see reason in your question... My bike burns oil and I asked the same questions before I bought everyone told me the issue was blown out of proportion and that most blades dont burn and not to worry, guess what mine burns and I dont care cause I love everything else about it enough to add a lil oil and check it constantly. I would buy another but if I were doing it again I would get the warranty in case of any issues. Good luck with your decision... everyone else if you dont like the title of the thread dont open it :thefinger:

#31 ·
I find it comical, the title of this thread that is sure to spread the flames of speculation for the 2012 model. If you dont visit the rev limiter much and never dog the shit out of a motorcycle meant to be dogged the fuck out, then i seriously seriously doubt you will see one drop burned. especially if you check the oil EVERY single time you get on it.

I think possibly you are over thinking this decision

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.