Dead Battery. Is it something else. : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Locked and Loaded

Question Dead Battery. Is it something else.

So I am looking to buy this 2006 CBR. The bike looks really good. It has nice parts. Its the original owner. I am ready to but but the battery was dead when I looked at it. The guy charged the battery. The bike runs well. He is telling me the battery is bad.

If it's just the batter that's fine. But could it be something.g else. Something costly? Like the part that charges the battery? How much would that cost to replace?
TiGGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
R1derr

not sure how much it would cost. there are 3 or 4 different parts of the charging system. you can check if the battery or system is bad by using a multimeter. putting the multimeter prongs on the battery while running and using throttle, you should see the battery being charged.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Locked and Loaded

Thanks for the info. Would and auto zone or pep Boyd have a multimeeter.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
R1derr

yessir they would/should have them there
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

I had a similar problem. It was the battery. Try that first. Walmart sells a batrery dirt cheap.

09 CBR Repsol NADA $8865
09 CBR non-Repsol NADA $7605
-------
Difference $1265
DickBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
R1derr

the problem in finding what the actual problem is hard if you dont have the right tools. because even with a fully charged battery and a bad charging system, the bike will run till the battery cant run anymore. and most of the time it will be too late to get your money back or something.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

The charging system on the bike should produce in excess of 12.7 volts when running, usually 13.5 - 14.7.
morpheus20170 likes this.
robgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Banned Camp Counselor

When I first started hunting around for a bike, back in the Spring 2010, I also found a 2006 model. The guy had let it sit in his garage over the last year, and it had really low miles.

He brought it around the alley from the back of the house, to the front street, where I was, with no delay. Shut it off, I looked it over, and took it for a spin.

Brought it back to the front of the house, we talked for a bit, but he wouldn't budge on his price, which was a bit too high. Told him that I'd have to think about it, and we'd get back in touch.

He went to start the bike, to take it back around to the garage in the rear alley, and it wouldn't start. I didn't end up buying the bike, but mostly due to the price, not the battery or the bike not starting.

My gut-impression from your story, and with information you've NOT clearly provided, is that this is the Original OEM battery, and it's five+ damn years old... All you said is that the owner "charged" the battery!?

Just go to the store, get a new battery, and you'll be fine! It's a HONDA!!!!
n7hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Locked and Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7hevn View Post
When I first started hunting around for a bike, back in the Spring 2010, I also found a 2006 model. The guy had let it sit in his garage over the last year, and it had really low miles.

He brought it around the alley from the back of the house, to the front street, where I was, with no delay. Shut it off, I looked it over, and took it for a spin.

Brought it back to the front of the house, we talked for a bit, but he wouldn't budge on his price, which was a bit too high. Told him that I'd have to think about it, and we'd get back in touch.

He went to start the bike, to take it back around to the garage in the rear alley, and it wouldn't start. I didn't end up buying the bike, but mostly due to the price, not the battery or the bike not starting.

My gut-impression from your story, and with information you've NOT clearly provided, is that this is the Original OEM battery, and it's five+ damn years old... All you said is that the owner "charged" the battery!?

Just go to the store, get a new battery, and you'll be fine! It's a HONDA!!!!
I am NOT sure if it is the OEM battery or not. He did try to charge it but it did not work. Looks like the battery is cooked. He said he will work on it the next two days try to get it charged or replace it. I am going back on Saturday, we are going to meet at the Honda dealership. I will pay to have it looked over. If it checks out I will buy it.

It's nice. He has a bunch of aftermarket stuff and all the OEM parts also. Nice ladybird exhaust, aftermarket rearsets, steel brake lines, aftermarket shifter, seat cowl, original owner, only 8k on the odo, frame sliders, never dropped, no scratches. The guys lives in a nice place, seems to take good care of his stuff. It's a really good price. Wish me luck on Saturday.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Banned Camp Counselor

I bet you're safe!
Do your due-diligence at the dealership, it will be a valuable $80 spent!
Buy the bike, put gas in it, put oil in it, and ride the hell out of it; you can't go wrong!

One thing I would recommend, that happened with the 2006 I bought, is change the brake fluid.
If this owner has a dead battery, it's going to be a safe assumption that he's not done other regular maintenance on other fluids and such!

Good luck this weekend!
n7hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement