Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Front sprocket

9K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  jojobrown 
#1 ·
Sorry guys if this seems dumb been a long time since I have done chain and sprocket stuff. I am replacing my front sprocket do I have to break chain to do that or can I sneak it out? And just swap it??? Let me fill you in as well chain and sprockets are new just going down one tooth on the front. If I remember right you can't do it or at least on my dirt bikes. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#2 ·
if you're replacing the chain, then yes you're going to have to break the chain to get it out of the swingarm. as long as the new front sprocket is the same pitch, then there shouldn't be a problem. take out the rear axle blocks to be able to slide the rear wheel forward and give you some slack while swapping out the front sprocket. first, i recommend having someone hold the rear brake while you break free the nut on the front sprocket, just to make things easier.

#6 ·
Its nice that you went through the effort to safety it, why not make it a positive safety instead of that neutral one you got there? Not that it would matter much, just if you want to be a bit more anal about your bike. Did you use .032 or .020 wire?

Ill probably install some on my bike when ever i replace that sprocket as well.

#5 ·
if im reading this correctly your asking if replacing the front sprocket only, do you have to cut the chain/ master link? if this is your question then the answer is no, you dont if changing the sprocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.