06 hard to/ wont start after warm - Page 3 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #21

when im riding it runs like a champ. when it doesnt want to start and it get started it runs fine at any throttle. i can wake up start the bike up go to work and when i get off of work it will start up fine no excessive cranking. good idea on the kill switch but i dont think it would be that cause when i flip the kill switch i hear the pump come on so it seems like the switch is working but ill give a try. when it does give me the problem i can hear the pump come on and whine. when its cranking it doesnt try to fire on any of the cylinders it just cranks. so what im thinking is trying to make the problem happen and pull a spark plug and see if theres spark, if there is ill look at the fuel injectors see if theyre working. if those are good maybe a sensor.
strojan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
Goose

Hmmmm, that's a toughie!! If you hear the pump whine when ign on and problem still happens then it's nothing to do with the kill switch, but do make sure, you could end up pulling the thing apart for no reason if it was that.
So it's really intermittent? Like, wont neccessarily happen under any circumsatance, but only happens when hot?
If that's the case, it points to the Crank angle sensor being a tweeb (easy way to check this is at ecm connector pins, 18-6 in an 04-05 manual shows how, I assume it's the same, or near enough)? Crank angle sensor or pos sensor, is easiest to check. And it's a single point, where as if it were a coil pack it'd need to be all of them failing at the same time as it's not giving any "kicks" when tryna start it (That's an assumption, but should hold true).
Let us know how ya go.
Shamizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
Goose

There's a 6 pin connector between the coils and ecm. And a 2 pin connector the the crank angle sensor. Not sure how easy they are to get to, but also worth a look as it sound like a prob for all cylinders, so single point that applies to all is where i'd look.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #24

I had similar starting issues with my 09,

Bike would start fine when it was cold with one or two cranks fired up no problems but when it was up to running temp if i turned the bike off say to get gas or go into a shop it wouldnt start again, would crank over a few times then just die ! so i would have to push start. thinking it was a battery issue i rode to a battery place and a new battery was installed to see if that was the problem ??? thankfully the bike was still hot and even with a brand new battery the bike wouldnt start.... would crank a few times then just not even attempt to crank ???? what the fuck !!!! so my battery was tested to be in good condition....!!!! thinking it must be a sensor that was playing up so when cold all good will start no probs but when hot sensor thinking it was too hot and as a saftey issue would not let bike start.... then a mate said i should check my starter motor so i pulled that that to find it had ceased up !!!! but that doesnt explain why it would start no probs when cold !!!! pulled the starter motor apart to find that one of the magnets attached to the outter casing had split so when it was cold there was no expanding of the outter case and the bike would start no probs but when hot the case must have expanded enough for the split magnet to move and wouldnt let the starter motor do its job !!!!!

So for all those who are having hot starting problems you should check your starter motor
Attached Thumbnails
06 hard to/ wont start after warm-photo.jpg  
Alcatraz likes this.
proctorbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #25

For Calif bikes with the EVAP system, a problematic Purge Control Valve might be the source.
IMPRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #26
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorbm View Post
I had similar starting issues with my 09,

Bike would start fine when it was cold with one or two cranks fired up no problems but when it was up to running temp if i turned the bike off say to get gas or go into a shop it wouldnt start again, would crank over a few times then just die ! so i would have to push start. thinking it was a battery issue i rode to a battery place and a new battery was installed to see if that was the problem ??? thankfully the bike was still hot and even with a brand new battery the bike wouldnt start.... would crank a few times then just not even attempt to crank ???? what the fuck !!!! so my battery was tested to be in good condition....!!!! thinking it must be a sensor that was playing up so when cold all good will start no probs but when hot sensor thinking it was too hot and as a saftey issue would not let bike start.... then a mate said i should check my starter motor so i pulled that that to find it had ceased up !!!! but that doesnt explain why it would start no probs when cold !!!! pulled the starter motor apart to find that one of the magnets attached to the outter casing had split so when it was cold there was no expanding of the outter case and the bike would start no probs but when hot the case must have expanded enough for the split magnet to move and wouldnt let the starter motor do its job !!!!!

So for all those who are having hot starting problems you should check your starter motor
That's a weird one!!!! Wont be the prob here, cause they said it spins fine but wont kick when the prob happens, but that's a really good one!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #27

that close to what we are talkin about, worth checking
Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #28
Goose

It spins freely tho right? Unless your starter is struggling to turn the motor, or is getting stuck this cannot be your issue.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamizzle View Post
It spins freely tho right? Unless your starter is struggling to turn the motor, or is getting stuck this cannot be your issue.
true. ya didnt read that correctly. gonna try and make the problem occur and check and see if theres fuel or spark are there if not gonna look at the sensors.

Last edited by strojan1966; 11-08-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: forgot to put this in there
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #30
Goose

Have a look in the 04/05 workshop manual at that page I put up. It's easier to check than pulling a plug. Only a couple bolts n a multimeter.
The plugs are too hard to get at imo.
Whenever I do these jobs, I always try (usually fail and forget to look at something simple!!) to list what it could hypothetically be (generally just in my head, might be the problem.... LOL!) then figure out what's easiest to check.
After pulling something down completely, to find that the prob is elsewhere, then when you finally find it, it's something that would've taken 5 minutes, and you just lost 3 days. Well, you can break knuckles that way.... LOL!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement