Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

CBR Fireblade dilemma 07 vs 08 (revised model)...

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  tikoxtreme 
#1 ·
As you might recall I am seriously considering getting an 06-07 CBR 1000RR :thumbsup:...

My only other sportbike has been a GSX-R 600 K4 which I loved!

However a black 2008 Fireblade popped up locally for a very decent price (the same as an 06 model in good nick) :thumbsup:...

Originally I went for the 06-07 model since they are cheaper, I like the underseat exhaust and I am not sure I like the 08 front fairing and headlight :th_down:...

However I like the compact stature of the '08, the slipper clutch, loss of weight and sexy tail :gay:...

The thing is this particular '08 Blade already has 24,000 km. I was looking to buy a sub 12,000km example :sad010:.

However the '08 owner has all the papers that show that back in 2010 the bike has had a factory fresh motor installed due to the oil burn problem :beat:. The new engine has done only around 8,000 km and owner still claims it burns some oil but much less than the old motor.

My only concern is if there be any other parts (except engine) that might have worn out and need servicing soon such as suspension seal, throttle/clutch cables, brake lines, bearings etc! Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
personally I'd stay away from any 08's. just wait for another 09 or 10 to come up.

no, it shouldn't burn oil if they swapped the motor out.

#5 ·
Well it burns a small amount of oil. Maybe 1L in 4000km or so (between services)...

I find that many Honda 'Racing' engines do have a bit of thirst for oil. I've had many friends who owned Type-R cars and it seemed that all of them needed a bit of a fill up in between services (maybe co of VTEC?)..

Well I don't really mind if the engine uses a small amount of oil as long as it is solid and reliable :thumbsup:...

#7 ·
I. Own both 06 and 08 currently ....I haven't really notice any burning issues on mines god forbid. But it all comes down to personal preferences....I find the 06 to be more comfortable bulky front end feel...the 08 is much much faster and lighter.

#10 ·
Typical Honda reliability then :thumbsup:...

If all goes well should go take a peek at the bike next Saturday :gay:!

Will let you know how it turns out..in the meantime any particular spots I should look at apart from the usual? Any weaknesses with this model etc..?

Thanks in advance :hail:!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.