Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Power wheelie fail..why?

7K views 51 replies 36 participants last post by  313hitman 
#1 ·
Ok so I just started doing my first power wheelies, because slipping the clutch in 2nd I am not comfortable with, I just want to get the feeling of the front end getting light..question is; I am around 165 with gear and I found that it takes my bike a good stretch of road and the thing is screaming in 1st before it comes up slightly...I thought it would come up easier..? and also does the cooler temps play and role? thanks.

#3 ·
you dont need much road to power wheelie.... just let off some and roll on the throttle, dont chop it for your first few attempts... if youre not comfortable try it in second, when u let off the forks will compress some and then roll on the gas and she'll float no problem... 1st i pull it up about 25+ and 55+ in second, she'll come up just a bike in 3rd but i dont do wheelies much at all.... dont want to have to worry about rebuilding fork seals anytime soon...

#6 ·
Go around 35 in first, chop throttle to load up the forks, and then give it a nice throttle grab - it'll come right up. Be careful, first gear is choppy so you need good throttle control. Start small!

#8 ·
What's your elevation?

I just spent the past week riding my '12 1krr at sea level. After I trailered it back home to Montana (about 5000 ft elevation), the difference in power was VERY noticeable. I lose about 13.5% of stock power because the air is so much less dense here.

So the reason I ask, is because the bike would power wheelie without trying at sea level; but at my current elevation, I have to put some effort in for a power wheelie.

#13 ·
I'm about the same weight. I go about 40 mph and twist the throttle but not all out. I also give the handle bars a good pull and squeeze my legs around the bike. As for elevation difference I wouldn't know, I live in Oklahoma. I have a2010 with a slip on. I also don't like to clutch up wheelie, in second gear I do the same at about 80mph, hope that helps

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
Why you want to do wheelie? Wana do some damage? To you and your bike?
People that do wheelies are born with a talent to do that.You cant just learn that easy from one or 5 attempts.i drive fast, like really fast sometimes,with cars and bike.but i dont do something stupid to put my life in danger or others life in danger.

#19 ·
Different people like different things. I have seen way more people die and endanger others by driving fast than doing wheelies though.

#17 ·
I'm 6'4" and 210lbs. Although I just started doing wheelies on my 1000rr, I do them on my 600rr all the time. You should have no problem. I started in first, started off with power up and it came right up no problem. After getting comfortable, i started in second gear. I just blip the throttle so my front end compressed, and on the way up I rolled on it a little harder and it came up again. There is much more power in the 1000 that you can noticeably feel, I haven't attempted to clutch it up yet, but power ups are not a problem. I live in jersey and I'm right around sea level so I'm not sure about the altitude problem.

Sent from Outer Space

#20 ·
If you are having problems getting it up (hehe), just buy a bigger sprocket for the rear or a smaller one for the front or both. You are a smaller gent if you only weigh in at 165lbs with all your gear and you really should not have any issues pulling the front tire. Just twist your wrist a little harder. I weigh 200lbs naked and my bike will still come up easily with a 16f 41r sprocket setup. Which is 1 down in the rear from stock. aka less torque and more top end then stock

#21 ·
I'm 300lbs and had no problems with first gear power wheelies. You're not giving it gas hard enough. Lol. 2nd gear I had to go 50mph twist the throttle wot then let off and immediately back to wot and it'd rise up until I hit the limiter.

#22 ·
I'll give you one suggestion that will work no matter what. I got this suggestion when I was learning to wheelie on my F3 back in 2001. After multiple disappointments at trying to wheelie, my dear friend suggested that I must install some BALLS. You may want to do the same. Pop the clutch man, that's way easier, but again it depends on person to person. Power wheelie... 1st gear, 9000rpm, chop the throttle to 4000rpm, and then GUNN IT again, the front wheel will come up. Keep your right foot ready for the rear brake just in case. But again, see if you can get those BALLS installed first; I had to.

#28 ·
I weigh 215 lbs and if i bring it to about 6500 RPMs in second and let off then give it a handfull the bike stands striaght up. I wont even do first gear wheelies on a 1000 because its too short of a gear and a lot of power. I do have a -1 counter sprocket though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com App

#29 ·
I use to power wheelie but after practicing the clutch wheelie... I no longer power wheelie.... You don't get to enjoy it as much. Learn to clutch it man. I guarantee you wont regret it. 2nd and 3rd gear clutch wheelies is where its at. Definitely not 1st. When I first began doing it yeah I did it in 1st because it seemed to be the much easier option..

#30 ·
This thread is silly. You have people saying buy a bigger sprocket, wheelie haters, ect. The secret is that you have a LITER BIKE. If you cannot twist the throttle in first gear and have it come up off of pure acceleration, something's wrong...and it's not the bike.

#36 ·
Sit back in the seat while rolling at about 35 MPH. While in first gear, quickly close the throttle and then open it all the way.
If the front does not come up, something is wrong.
You really need to learn to clutch the bike up. It is easier to bring the front up that way.

#40 ·
I agree with the dude. Try doing it on a dirt bike first. After you have mastered riding that then try it on a street bike. I can see you looping it easily the first time you really wack it. A 1krr of any year will easily wheelie with no clutch up.

#50 ·
+1

Plus it seems like you have a nice bike in your hands, unless your balling so hard muh f***rs wanna find you? or you're chuck norris... i would take it as slow as possible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.