Detailed paint job help.. : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Detailed paint job help..

Alright, so I know there's a million threads and "how-to" articles for painting solid colors on fairings, but I couldn't find any that talk about painting detailed graphics on the plastics. What I want to do is pretty basic, base color of silver and then I was wanting to paint some graphics on after. The graphics I'm talking about are literally just grid lines. But my question is would I be better off using a brush to apply thin layers, or should i attempt a patient spray job? And should I buy paint that's plastic specific? Or added flex agent? I've heard it's necessary, then I heard it barely has an effect after a couple months so it's pointless theoretically. Any advice is helpful, Simple stuff, just couldn't find a how to..so any advice is welcome/needed.

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"

Last edited by noahb; 11-18-2012 at 11:42 PM.
noahb is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #2

So the more and more I read, nobody uses brushes. Just stencil and spray..? Is that my best option...Anyone?haha

Last edited by noahb; 11-03-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
The Tokolosie

they only use brushes for pin stripes anymore. most other stuff is either taped and sprayed or airbrushed
africaguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #4

To be honest, thats what I'm wanting to paint on them. Not pin stripes, but an off segmented grid pattern. So i pretty much have to use a brush for those.

But how about the paint? Should I waste time with a flex agent? And do I need to accommodate for the heat coming off the bike?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #5

Make sure the base is dry and mask off the graphic with a quality tape that won't peel off the base color.

A flex additive is used in clear coats and primers so they don't crack. I would personally add some to the clear. If the plastic doesn't flex it's not that big of a deal. Heat from the bike shouldn't effect it, just use quality paint.

Good luck and post pics!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

Man, it sounds like the easiest/best option for what you want to do is paint the bike the color you want the "grid lines' to be, then use whatever thickness of tape you want the lines to be to mask off the original color and spray on the color you want the rest of the bike to be. Remove the tape and the lines will be there nice and straight. Just clear the whole thing after that.

They make real thin 1/8th inch and 1/4th tape for doing designs in paint thats real flexible for what i think youre describing. Would be much easier than breaking out a brush. getting a brush to go straight on a curved surface takes some serious skill.
bejbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #7

Haha oh I know, way outside my skill range. But I've learned a few things since the post actually..stopped by some shops and talked to them, got some quotes. And even prepped my fairings(but haven't found a painter yet..), the most recent quote I got was about $22-2300. Which is also way outside my price range..I was expecting half that. So not too sure what's gonna be happening here..

Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #8

holy hell man, thats ALOT of money with you doing the prep.

Should be a bit under a grand for all the plastics, and i would expect somewhere around 500 if you did all the prepwork.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #9

That's exactly what I said. I knew with all the tiny detail that I want done, that the labor would be pretty long. He also said he prefered i didnt do the prep work, I got that but what's done is done. It's well done if I don't say my self.haha but I still wasn't expecting that price..

Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #10

You may be better off sending auctmarts a skecth of what you want and getting new plasics with the graphics you want.

I think they only charge an extra 100 or so for custom work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement